Which Federal Ammo?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Which Federal Ammo?

Post by snaketail2 »

I saw that Federal was to most used rim fire ammo at this year's national CLA rim fire matches. Which Federal is everyone using- I know that make several flavors; from bulk to expen$ive. Just curious.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Which Federal Ammo?

Post by Taps »

G'day
Those of us "down under" shooting this have found Federal Auto-match to be
the pick of it.
Taps
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Way back in the day I went shooting with the governor of NSW. We went about 30 miles out of Sydney and shot empty Fosters cans - we supplied them. It was 1970 and things were much easier then. Loved being down under for a couple of days on the USS Coral Sea.

Met the gov at the Manly Bowling Club and got along great with him and his wife.

I like AutoMatch too - its my go-to ammo for monthly meets.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Federal Auto match is what I've been using. Although I will be trying Winchester SuperX on the rams next time. Pinpoint accuracy isn't needed in this game, punch is.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

chuckjordan2:

I used the new Australian 42Max Winchester round this past weekend. I shot awful, but it was not the ammo's fault. The chickens I hit flew much farther than those his with anything else, one turkey did a back flip and all of my rams went down without a problem.

About 2/3 of the way through the match I got back into the "grove" and finished better then I expected. The 42Max has more punch - not a lot more, but it was fun to see the animals slam back. But for the money I think I'll stay with AutoMatch.

Thanks,
Michael
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Michael,

I tried the Win Super Speed, don't think that 40gr bullet is traveling 1300 fps. I do know it's rim is smaller in diameter than Fed Auto Match. Sticks in my 39A chamber too.

Shot the Win M22 in today's match (on Rams).

I then used the Win Super Speed for my Toz pistol (same match, different relay).
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

The way thing are right now, some folks are reduced to shooting whatever they can get their hands on, and no end to it in sight. Automatch for me, luckily still have a couple years worth.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

We have our Va State match in 2 weeks, I'm sticking to my auto match for the entire match. Tried, unsuccessfullyiI might add, to mix in CCI AR22 or Win M22 on the rams. Bullet lube or barrel preference is moving their POI to the right on the rams.

At yesterday's bench session, it was on at 77m, but, only a 3 inch drop at the rams. Strange, used to be a 4-5 inch drop in the Spring. Must be a good lot?

I also have 2 bricks of the Lightning (3rd went to a friend who was almost empty) when it was $1.47/50. I'll save that for when I really need it.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

My little Browning BL-22 loves Federal AutoMatch.
The weather has finally turned here in Southern Arizona - it was only 88 degrees (long sleeve weather for us!) and we had a large group shooting Saturday. I won my class and the shoot-off with AutoMatch this weekend and if it hadn't been for a guy who only missed 8 out of 80 targets I might have been one of the top winners. Thank you WallMart!

Michael
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I've gotta admit, Walmart is my supplier for .22 in Cowboy. I don't think they get enough praise for keeping prices sane. Yes, thank you Walmart!
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I kept hearing how Automatch shot so good, so I bought 4 boxes back when it could be found. My 39a just hated the stuff and gave me lousy groups, so I switched to the Federal Champion bulk - which shoots tiny little groups. Turns out for some reason my 39a only likes ammo that has the copper wash on it, and hates plain lead bullets...
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

A lot of us shoot Federal 510, used to be called Lightning" and may still be around with that label. The old red and black box is next to match as far as I can see. I shoot the auto match in my pistol, no luck in my 39A. Federal tells me that it is the first run of ammo after they make the match grade stuff. It was about $2 a box before Obama. Still can get it at Wal Mart once and a while. I Use ammo-can.net to see what Wal Marts have 22 in stock.

Dick