Cowboy L A Western Regional at Pala, CA. Oct 11,12 and 13

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Cowboy L A Western Regional at Pala, CA. Oct 11,12 and 13

Post by lone ringer »

Another great match at Pala, CA. We had about 30 shooters that included several people from AZ and one from Kansas.
The weather was great all three days and we were able to shoot some really good scores every day.
Winners for the individual matches were
CLA Tony Tello 74X80 35-39
CPC Neal Gordon 74X80 36-38
CSB Jim Luke 79X80 39-40
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Cowboy L A Western Regional at Pala, CA. Oct 11,12 and 1

Post by lone ringer »

Jim Luke from Kansas came to Pala, CA to try his luck at our range and came out with three new NRA national records in CSB shooting a 39
X40 in the morning match and the first 40X40 in registered competition, in the process breaking the open 40 and 80 round records, Jim also broke the Senior record and won the three gun aggregate competition with a score of 222X240, Tony Tello was 2nd with 217X240 and Ryan King was 3rd with 207X240
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Great shooting! Congrats On the new records and the big win, Jim!

Was this match announced here or anywhere on the interwebs??

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

That's some great shooting. Congratulations Jim, Tony, Ryan, and all the class winners. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

dustinflint wrote:Great shooting! Congrats On the new records and the big win, Jim!

Was this match announced here or anywhere on the interwebs??

Dustin
Dustin, the answer to your question is no, in the past I have made announcements in Facebook but to my knowledge we have never had anybody attend our match because of that . We have been shooting our CRPA State matches at Pala for the last several years or so in May and a Western Regional in October. Attendance to both matches vary some depending on what people are doing and the reason I say that is because the May match is always on the mother's day weekend and in October some shooters may be hunting.

State and Regional matches are published in the NRA Shooting Sports USA. I checked the last issue and did not find information about our match I do not know why. We get a fair amount of shooters from AZ and sometimes a couple from CO, this year we got Jim Luke from Kansas and he kicked our butts. Several of the Californian shooters go to Phoenix early in the year to attend their Cowboy L A State Championships.

If you are interested in attending either one let us know and we will make sure you get all the information needed.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

cslcAl wrote:That's some great shooting. Congratulations Jim, Tony, Ryan, and all the class winners. Al Foust
Thank you Al.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Congratulations to Jim and you too Tony, looks like some great shooting. Thank you for posting the scores and pictures.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

CONGRATS JIM!!!! Great shooting by all. Sounds like you had areat match.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. I have to admit I'm very proud of the 40/40 score--it's my first.

Those of you who have never shot at Pala are missing probably the best range in the country for visibility of targets. The range faces north, the animals are white and the dirt background is a reddish brown color. Each target looks like it has a spot light on it.

Harold Itchkawich runs a great match all the while shooting with us, handing out awards, and one day even cooking chili for dinner after the match. And the shooters, as usual are a friendly bunch. The weather was wonderful--high 60's to 70's everyday and little wind. 240 shots in three days--40 shots in the morning and 40 in the afternoon-- may sound like a lot, but the match was run so efficiently we were usually finished by 2:30. It was a pleasurable time.

Harold wants me to bring a Kansas team next year. I'm going to work on that.

Jim Luke \:D/
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

It was a great weekend, awesome weather and I had alot of fun at the match talking to fellow shooters. Too bad I was shooting like a recovering drunk though...

Maybe next time I wont be such a shakey jake and shoot scores in the class I belong in.

One very good thing came out of the weekend for me though, in watching Neal Gordon shoot the very same Rossi 92 as mine when he won the pistol cartridge match, I started quizzing him on his reloading recipe after observing how well it shot (like a .22 and very accurate). I duplicated it that night and tried it on the sighters during Sunday mornings practice, and I found my dream load. Can't wait till next months match to shoot it for real...
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Jim that's some impressive shooting! Way to show us how it's done!!! :ymcowboy:

Guys put me on the list for next year with Dustin. I'm still a newby with the lever guns but you all are a quick 2 hr flight from Seattle so I'd love to come shoot and learn!
Res ipsa loquitur
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Baja Traveler,I watched Neal Gordon shoot on Saturday. Very impressive. Can you share with us what caliber he was shooting, the powder charge and bullet? I have a Rossi in .357 I keep as a back up rifle that is as accurate a pistol caliber rifle as I have ever shot. I'm interested in what Neal used. Thanks.

Jim
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Neal's Rossi 92 is in .357 like ours. He was shooting a 158gr RNFP that he buys (said the key was to keep it on the softer side as the hard cast lost accuracy). Under that was 6 grains HS-6 - his idea was to keep it under speed of sound the whole time. I don't have HS-6 in the cupboard, but he claimed I could get the same results with the equivalent load of Unique or W231. I have those, so chose W231 as I have a 3lb jug doing nothing.
Looked up the load on the Winchester site (Range is 3.4 to 5 gr 231 under pistol loads) and chose a middle of the road 4 gr to get about the same velocity as Neal. Put that under my 158gr grease wagon bullet and a standard SP primer. After Sundays match I laid the last 15 rounds on the undersized crappy ram sighter on the far left side of the range and came away with a nice group (elbows on bench) - hard to tell, but it rang 15 times. If I had a proper rest the group would have been much better...