22 long rifle at Raton

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

22 long rifle at Raton

Post by dgslyr »

Since the post office lost my cast bullets I won't be shooting my 32/20 at Raton week after next.
Will a 22 with subsonic 40 gr. loads knock over the rams there for pistol cartridge?
I have shot at the small bore and pistol cartridge targets up there.Only the centerfire in 2012 with my 30/30.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 22 long rifle at Raton

Post by Tlee »

Nope... Here at NRAWC this week shooting Hunter Pistol and even the high velocity won't take them over but half the time... And only with off center hits.

- Tim
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Why not phone a LGS near Raton to see if they have cowboy 32-20 loads? Buy them (maybe they can hold them?). Also buy locally near you and sight in your rifle?

Your profile doesn't list your state and since your spending money to travel there (assume you don't live nearby) buying factory rounds is the least of your expenses. Heck, one tank of gas could buy you 2-3 boxes of your ammo.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I shot Hunters Pistol at Raton a few years ago - same targets - and I saw a Pig stay up for a light 32-20 hit. You might be OK with Chickens, but the rest is going to be a challenge with any .22 load. Raton's fine black dust coats the targets and they get heavy, if it rains they get real heavy. Best of luck finding some 32-20 bullets...There is a very good Gun Store in Carlsbad, NM. You might have some luck with them, but Carlsbad is in southeastern NM - an easy drive from El Paso, a day from Raton.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

If you're desperate enough maybe you can get Widener's to do an overnight. They have the Hornady 85 gr XTP in stock.

https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?d ... |1148|1439

Probably not gonna be cheap but not as frustrating as hitting a pig or a ram with a .22 and watching it just sit there. X(
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

PhxShooter wrote:If you're desperate enough maybe you can get Widener's to do an overnight. They have the Hornady 85 gr XTP in stock.

https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?d ... |1148|1439

Probably not gonna be cheap but not as frustrating as hitting a pig or a ram with a .22 and watching it just sit there. X(

I didn't think Hollow Point ammo was permitted in Lever Action Silhouette - just Flat and Round nose bullets...I'd check before ordering.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

Don't they use the same targets for Smallbore CLA? I have trouble with the left bank of 10 pigs on my home range if they aren't set over hanging the rail and sometimes even if they are. All we have are 3/8" thick targets except for rams. We have 3/16th's and 3/8ths.
If I had know about the Cluster crap with the post office a little sooner I could have ordered them again. Now, if I get them tomorrow I won't get time to load them before I leave.
I don't care for shooting my short barreled 357 all that much but I guess I will have to. I have ammo loaded for it.
Thanks to all for the info.
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

chuckjordan2 wrote:Why not phone a LGS near Raton to see if they have cowboy 32-20 loads? Buy them (maybe they can hold them?). Also buy locally near you and sight in your rifle?

Your profile doesn't list your state and since your spending money to travel there (assume you don't live nearby) buying factory rounds is the least of your expenses. Heck, one tank of gas could buy you 2-3 boxes of your ammo.

At the price of 32/20 ammo at Midway ,one box cost more then a 10 gallon fill up in my car.Not in stock anywhere anyway .
dan222
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dan222 »

hi folks,
the pc rule just states that you can use a flat nose bullet, i think the hornady 85gn xtp, would be ok.....dan
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

Hollow points in Pistol Caliber are most definitely OK. Shot 4 Nationals with them (won one of the PC Nationals matches) and won both a State and Regional Championship with them. Thousands upon thousands of Hornady XTP and similar bullets have been shot at the Nationals. They are considered a flat nose bullet. The point (pardon the pun) of the round or flat nose rule is to not allow a pointy bullet in the magazine tube which could potentially set off a primer in a live shell during recoil. Since the hollow point is as large or larger in diameter than the primer, against which it could rest, it is even less likely to set off the primer than is a total flat nose or a round nose.

Before anyone goes there, I will add that a HP in something like a Sierra Match King would not be acceptable. Common sense applies here and we are talking PISTOL CALIBER.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I think you'll have better results with your short barrel .357 then you will with .22LRs.
And, it looks like I was wrong about Hollow Point bullets...some, but not all, are OK for PC Lever Action...maybe we could have a list of "acceptable" hollow point bullets posted here someday.

M
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

If you still want to try and get the bullets before heading out you may want to call Meister Bullets. They have 78,100 and 117 grain hard cast bullets in .312 diameter. Phone number is 417 708-5279. 100 bullets in 117 grains is $19.87. I shoot their .257 bullets in my marlin CL 25-20 with great results.