Cowboy Lever Action guns

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Cowboy Lever Action guns

Post by ppkny »

Question,
Can you use the same gun for High Power Lever Action Silhouette as PC Lever Action Silhouette providing you are using something like a 45 lColt or a 357 cartridge. Can you get out to the High Power disatnces with this load. I know the rules say for HP 6 MM or larger but does the 45 LColt have the knockdown power at the longer distance.
I'm just getting into this lever action game. I have Marlin 39A for .22 and would like to try the other classes also.
Thanks for any help.
ppkny
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

We have several people who use the same guns for pistol cartridge and centerfire cowboy lever action. Most of them use 357 magnum or 44 magnum rifles. I don't think you'd get able to do anything more than tickle the centerfire rams at 200m with a 45lc, but I could be wrong. Those 200m rams are the same ones that high power silhouette shooters shoot at 500m, and the general rule is 1.0 lb-s of momentum is needed to reliably knock them down. You should be able to use that same rule when shooting them with centerfire cowboy lever action loads, as long as you remember to calculate momentum with the velocity that the bullet would be travelling at 200m instead of 500m.