Sights for a 24" Rossi 92 Hex barrel....

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Sights for a 24" Rossi 92 Hex barrel....

Post by cedestech »

If someone was wanting to use venier sights on one... would these work (yes, the tang would have to be drill&tapped)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... -CREED-3-E

If so then what height Lyman 17 globe....

:roll:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TexasSilhouette
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Sights for a 24" Rossi 92 Hex barrel....

Post by TexasSilhouette »

Your Rossi should already be drilled for a tang sight. Use the shortest front site your vernier will match. For my Marbles the shortest Lyman front works.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:If someone was wanting to use venier sights on one... would these work (yes, the tang would have to be drill&tapped)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... -CREED-3-E

If so then what height Lyman 17 globe....

:roll:
Emmett-

Several years ago there was a guy using that particular sight on a Henry and he was complaining about the (lack of) consistent/predictable windage adjustment. IIRC he did have to drill the tang for it to fit. He replaced it with one of these and loved it. Also, they make one with a base that'll fit the 92 w/o drilling/tapping the tang: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lee_Shaver_S ... x?CAT=4071

The Marbles that Wayne mentioned might serve you better if you need something in the price range of the Track of the Wolf.

- Tim
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Another option that's currently $100 off (not sure if it has the 2.195" spacing that I THINK the Rossi 92 uses):
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersol ... 705290.uts

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Now I'm really wondering if I need a Lee Shaver on my Marlin 94CL.
I've been saving up or a Lee Shaver vernier sight, but I see the Pedersoli Creedmoor and the one at Cabelas and wonder which would be best for my need/budget. I won't ever hunt with my rifle, and the limited windage is OK for CLA Silhouette, and I'll have to drill and tap for any of the tang sights. Anyone use either of these in Pistol Cartridge?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the two mentioned here. PM or otherwise.

Michael

PS: Regarding Marbles sights on my Rossi - I changed mine to the "Midrange/Improved" version - I was topping out at 50 yards with the original sight. In hindsight I could have changed the front sight (for the 4th time), but I changed to a mid-range sight post and things got vastly better.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

The Lyman and Marbels don't look to be over 3" tall so if I try a venier 3" should be fine as well correct?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Marbles tang sight and Lyman 17a on mine, works just fine.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I have 2 different 17a's here and both are too loose in the front dovetail. Anyone else have that issue?

What part number on the Marbles and what do you do for the screws or does it come with the longer tang screw and front screw?
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

In my experience the Rossi dovetail is slightly larger than the standard. I had a Rossi for while and every front sight I tried (Williams, marbles, lyman etc..) was too loose. The Rossi dovetail is .390" and the standard is .375". I eventually ordered a front sight from Skinner that was .390" for a Rossi. It fit fine.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Skinner doesn't have a globe though do they?
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

No they don't, just a post that you shorten to the length you need. I did get a Lyman globe to fit by staking the base of the globe sight with a punch to widen it out a bit.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

On my Rossi (24" Hex) I epoxied brass shim to the bottom/side of the Lyman 17A, and it drifted in nicely.

I performed a D&T to attach a Williams FP-36 rear sight. Has same setup feeling as my Marlin 39A
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

chuckjordan2 wrote:On my Rossi (24" Hex) I epoxied brass shim to the bottom/side of the Lyman 17A, and it drifted in nicely.

I performed a D&T to attach a Williams FP-36 rear sight. Has same setup feeling as my Marlin 39A
I like! I kinda did the same thing last night with .020 brass shim stock. It feels tight enough.

Steiger loaned me a Marbles to try but if I buy a tang it'll probably be a Lyman or a veneer. I may go the d&t route but with a Lyman. Have them on my
39 and 336, like a lot.

Loaded up some 357 to see if it shoots this weekend. It'll be nice to burn "cheap" ammo as opposed to 22MAG. :)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

cedestech wrote:Loaded up some 357 to see if it shoots this weekend. It'll be nice to burn "cheap" ammo as opposed to 22MAG. :)
I can say that I definitely feel this pain. If they get the pistol cartridge cowboy going down at Pe Ell, WA (where they shoot the Conard Cup), I think I'll probably get a different gun to shoot the match with instead of shooting the 22 mag rifle that I have now. I can reload any of several pistol cartridges cheaper than I can buy 22 mag ammo, and I can actually find the components for reloading the pistol cartridges a lot more easily than the 22 mag ammo, too.