Considering buying a vest

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Considering buying a vest

Post by dhatch »

Your Mom says Yay! I think there's a conspiracy going on!! Slip sliding away!
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

No wonder I am no good wearig my nylon trap vest!! How heavy can you go with one of them there fancy leather doo dads??? Any specific cowhide thickness/weight to have made? I can't shoot worth a darn, but might as well dress and look like a sharp shooter. My Team Norma Hat looks pretty good and had to pull tooth and nail to get that last year.
I'll work on getting one of their Team Jersey's this year. :mrgreen:
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

dustinflint wrote:The advantage to a mesh vest is that it is cooler. The disadvantages are that they offer no stability. We wear vests for added stability. They also have pockets although the pockets don't do anything to help your shooting.

Get a leather or suede leather vest from Chris Winstead. Other than shooting a lot, a good vest is the best way to improve scores.

Dustin
So I ordered a vest from Chris.

Thanks for the info!!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Congratulations on ordering a vest from Chris Winstead.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I just e-mailed Chris and hope to finalize in the next couple days. The Four Animal Emb. Design sure looks nice, but have to figure out how to fund that, as just a little bit short in my secret fund. Lets see, with questionable eyesight, back ailment, nerve blockage in both legs, coupled with COPD, this damn vest better well steady me.......or......well, I guess I'll look like a professional on the firing line or :-B or B-) or :shock:
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I received my vest from Chris. It is of excellent quality and looks good too.

He made a few modifications to customize it for me.

I am very pleased with Chris' workmanship and customer service, the vest and the results.

Thanks dustinflint for the input! :)
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave ABQ did you ever get a vest because I have one I want to sell. It's a hardscrabble that is way to big for me. I'm only 5'4" and its cut more for someone much larger than I am its brown Swede with all the animals on the back.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I sure did. It is silver with dark red/burgundy suede.

I thought this thread to be dead, what a surprise to see it active.

I hope you find a buyer.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Dang 9....

What are you asking? Would it fit 5'11" and 205 pounds of me? Pictures?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

On again
PM sent.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Now that you've had time to sweat that vest in, Please post your scores before and after the vest.
Just Be Nice **==
tulsatime
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tulsatime »

I will say I held off for a couple years thinking it really wouldnt help, but saved up 2 years of loose change and bought one from Chris. It is a nice piece of handcrafted art in leather.

Scores went from 17-20 consistently (21 was my highest recorded in 11 years of shooting) to a 28 in our last competition (my first shoot with the new vest). Now I can say the misses are really on me and I found my mental game is the next issue to overcome. The vest helps to take the rapid swinging of the crosshair dot out and makes it slow down so I can manage my hold in the animal longer to break the shot. My heartbeat moving the dot has been reduced greatly. And that's with the vest loose like the rules require (4 inch pipe).

Now it's on me to keep making the push up to AAA and hopefully master class one day.
Tulsatime
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

well...I respect your opinion and you'd post nothing but objective results. I have purchased a leather shotgun vest at a garage sale and will try it when this high humidity heat passes. By the way....we may have a weekend open up at the OKC gun club that doesn't clash with your smallbore match or our CLA maych. We are thinking of starting smallbore silhouette at our range...IF we can attract enough shooters for our trouble. We tried hunter pistol this year and will never do it again. Let us know.
Just Be Nice **==
tulsatime
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tulsatime »

Good luck with the vest. Being able to have the gun stay in the same spot in your shoulder every time is awesome.

Glen that would be awesome if you did have a smallbore match. It stinks that the ability to shoot monthly matches has become a 4 - 6 hour drive for a local now (we are thankful we have guys driving in from Missouri and Arkansas to shoot with us here in Tulsa. So if you can get a OKC match that doesn't cover the other dates that would be very nice.

There are a handful of us who drive down to Benton for their early regional and it's a lot of fun, but I can't pull off a 6 hour drive every month. I hope to make the LA match and Nationals if it's in Raton next year.

It would also be nice to find a way to get a Oklahoma State Championship match one day. I know it's a lot of work. Maybe our two clubs silhouette shooters could work something out together? I see you have a CLA big state match. I'll chat you up about that sometime.

On another note, I know you shot the high power at Raton, is there a chance your club would ever have high power shoot down your way?
Tulsatime
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

First things first. IF we can get a weekend day we should be fine for numbers. It's a little over an hour for you guys in Tulsa and about two and a half hours for the folks in Van Buren. We are both retired now and Jeanne is a GREAT organizer ( I have a gift for painting targets ) so a State or Regional smallbore match would certainly be doable.

I shot my first highpower match at Raton and I must admit it's got me hooked. I would MUCH rather shoot HP silhouette than smallbore. We now have air reset targets out to 500 meters so I'll look into it. The IHMSA guys shoot out to 500 meters now, so I don't see why we can't ...plus our 500 meter range has a cover and the last time I was at Red Castle theirs was wide open. The BPCR guys call that range the frying pan. I'll let you know what's up if the dates open for us. Jeanne and I have done well with the CLA program and our regional is at capacity at 48 shooters. We are very interested in trying to develop a smallbore program and / or an air rifle silhouette program. We now have the time to commit to those if we can just find the interest.
Just Be Nice **==