Stock info

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Stock info

Post by mshelton »

First, wanted to say that I just shot rimfire silhouette for the first time last month and really enjoyed it, a club near me has rimfire and high power matches. I've shot sporting clays, skeet, benchrest long and short range and have been a varmint and bird hunter since I was a kid. Wish I had shot silhouette sooner, we always shot spinners in the pasture with 22s but the chickens flying really hooked me, that and finally getting a turkey to drop.

Anyway, I got to thinking of trying high power silhouette and I saw the rifle below in my local gun store and can pick it up pretty cheap (almost too cheap to pass up). The rifle mounts and feels great and looks like a silhouette stock to me but was wondering if I was correct in that assumption and if so does anyone know who the maker might be.

Thanks.

xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Stock info

Post by xpilot »

Maybe Nesika.....If it feels good, that is all that matters. Looks like an aftermarket trigger guard. Most likely was set up for silhouette.
Welcome aboard.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

What caliber ??
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mshelton »

Turn neck 308, doesn't look like the action has been trued, if I got it I'd more than likely get it switched over to a 6.5x47.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Looks like one of the HS Stocks by L Spoden. Certainly a nice stock for silhouette.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Looks like a real nice hunter stock. Would switch to any of the 6.5s real easy with a new barrel. If I was doing that I would have the action trued.

Looks like a marv trigger guard.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Looks like a real nice hunter stock. Would switch to any of the 6.5s real easy with a new barrel. If I was doing that I would have the action trued.

Looks like a marv trigger guard.
Why discriminate against the 7mm-08? Is that not a worthy caliber for silhouette?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Not bad but not near as good as a 6.5 Dave. :ymdevil:
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Jerry makes a good point. The missing link though is how recoil sensitive a guy (or gal) is.

Kathy won at nationals shooting a 6x47. That's not a typo. Not a 6.5mm but a 6. She's a heck of a shooter and knows the recoil will get to her and can stand to lose a ram or so but will take everything else.

Our new young master Jedi, Erich. Shot a freaking 39/40 at Pe Ell earlier this year with a 260 bobcat (250 savage necked up to 6.5). He didn't lose a single ram but if I recal missed a pig. If only I had such problems!

I'm a big old girly man in a stetson who can admit that recoil gets to me thus uses a bobcat as well. I've shot a 7-08 and even a 260 rem and will admit that I flinch less with the reduced muzzle blast and recoil.

If you can get your hold down the 6.5s will give you less wind deflection assuming you're using good bullets (sierra, lapua etc) than the 7mm's with less punishment.

Having said that. I've got a heavy hunting rifle that's older than I am by a couple decades in 30-06 AI that I love shooting at the turkeys and rams with. 175 vld's just scream out there and knock those bad body down but fast. I'm only shooting it to get ready for hunting season and wouldn't want to wear out the old boy but shooting matches with it...But it's been tempting!

:ymcowboy: **== :ymcowboy:
Res ipsa loquitur
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

That stock is the former silhouette stock from McMillian....(I have 3) McMillian no longer makes them .They opted for the Master Silhouette pattern instead. I'll bet the trigger is a light pull Canjar and the chamber neck is .330. Did you find that gem in Missouri? It will make a very nice 7-08 or just shoot the 308 till it washes out..
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mshelton »

Picked it up in Virginia, about 15 miles north of Richmond, the neck is a .340 so I'll need to turn my cases a tad, 1-14 twist so the 155 Sierra Palmas and Berger hunting VLDs may work in it. The trigger is indeed a Canjar LP, was pretty pleased about that. Thanks for the stock ID Snake.

I'm going to try and get a scope on it for this weekend and see how it shoots. Seems out local high power silhouette matches are done for the year so I'll have the winter to monkey with it. I thought about a 7-08 but I've had the "that's a really neat cartridge, I should find a reason to build one" thing for the 6.5x47 for a few years now so I may go that route but who knows.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

A 1 in 14 twist will stabilize 155 palma but I doubt it will handle a VLD....1 in 12 is on the edge and a 1in 10 does it all in 30 cal. The Canjar LP is problematic....ditch it before it makes you really unhappy with accidental discharges, failing to cock, creep, slop etc. An premium trigger is the Bix and Andy trigger or an old Kenyon (if you can find one)....Jewel triggers have their issues but the older ones seem to be better than the current production. FYI one of my shooters uses a 7 x 47.....and it does great. BTW a 340 neck sounds like a stock match neck...figure that new brass Fed, Rem, Win, and Lapua have neck wall thickness of .015 thus a load round is at .338 and allows .002 expansion, or .001 on each side (a little close). So it sounds like it needs just a clean up turning taking off about -.002 or so
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Greentop. True? Never thought they'd ever have that.

We'll have to meet at the next match. I couldn't make the last one, was working.
Chuck
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mshelton »

Yep, it was at the Top, shot it today, it'll stabalize the 155 VLDs, need to work up a load.

Shot it offhand for a couple shots and it wasn't bad at all, hopefully the barrel still has a little life left.