Death of a program? I sincerely hope not!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Death of a program? I sincerely hope not!

Post by BCloninger »

Will do. I expect to hear back from the NRA this week, and that confirmation will be posted here when it arrives.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

You are a good man !!!
Just Be Nice **==
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Sadly, the NRA certification has not arrived yet. There will be a match, but it cannot be reported to the NRA for qualification purposes.
- C.S. Lewis
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

BCloninger wrote:Sadly, the NRA certification has not arrived yet. There will be a match, but it cannot be reported to the NRA for qualification purposes.
Yes it can, if you've filled out the online application, your match is as good as approved. You can put scores in the scorebooks and complete grand slams and set long-run records, etc.

Dustin
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

dustinflint wrote:Yes it can, if you've filled out the online application, your match is as good as approved. You can put scores in the scorebooks and complete grand slams and set long-run records, etc.

Dustin
Really?! Okay, I take it all back then, but bring your score book!

Do you have a link for this, or did I miss the memo?
- C.S. Lewis
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Found it, and the match is approved, so we're on!
- C.S. Lewis
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

2016 Season Opener

Post by BCloninger »

It was beautiful, windy spring day for a season opener! We were a small group, but that meant I had a chance to build some confidence running a match and, with Henry Engrave calling the first match, I got to shoot (with very few witnesses)! Many thanks to the Old Fort Gun Club volunteers that had the range looking so good. It was a great day.

Our next match is May 7th, it is NRA sanctioned, and I look forward to seeing everyone there!
- C.S. Lewis
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 2016 Season Opener

Post by teetertotter »

BCloninger wrote:It was beautiful, windy spring day for a season opener! We were a small group, but that meant I had a chance to build some confidence running a match and, with Henry Engrave calling the first match, I got to shoot (with very few witnesses)! Many thanks to the Old Fort Gun Club volunteers that had the range looking so good. It was a great day. Our next match is May 7th, it is NRA sanctioned, and I look forward to seeing everyone there!
Have a terrific 2016! Ours gets underway next month. I retired the end of 2015 as Director and our Asst. picked up with the help of another person. I will be helping out, when I can.

I recently have deteriorating nerve damage leading to both legs with CT injections to block 2 nerves. It won't keep me from participating as you pick up the pieces and move on! I enjoy this sport and the people that make it fun! I don't SET TARGETS...... :D ....But...will paint them. :D :ymapplause:

I heard that our winter indoor practice shooting may produce some more participants for the 2016 season. We have a nice group that all pitches in and helps in some way or other every week. I am proud to be a part of our rifle club and our Silhouette team!
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

16 years ago, I used to run the high power match at our club. It was cancelled because of low participation and the club wanted the range to make money from paying guests verses the fees from our match. I tried a lot of things to increase the numbers. I would even bring an extra rifles and free ammo for any new shooter who wanted to give it a try. I got Sierra to donate bullets and Hodgkin to donate power but it didn't help much.

As I see it, there are about 4 main problems.

First, it became an equipment race with shooters like Tubb pushing for anything he wanted. New shooters would show up with their rifle out of the closet and maybe hit 4 or 5 animals when the match winner hit 30 or more. New shooters would just blame their equipment. Their rifle was probably not accurate but there are a lot of places to spend your money verses a silhouette match or new/improving equipment.

Secondly, if you stayed with the game, you learned and got better. The disparity in scores between new shooters and others got greater and greater. Troy Lawton made a comment once that I remember. "It doesn't matter what I shoot, I'm going to win." and he was right. Good shooters got even better.

Thirdly, its a difficult game. Hitting 4 or 5 animals the first time out is really discouraging. You may get new shooters crossing over from other disciplines but the novice is just not going to come back.

Lastly, shooting in general is just becoming an old mans game. There is just one HP match left in California and it would be a 7 hr drive for me. My daughters don't like guns and would vote to ban them. They certainly don't want their kids having guns. What have I done wrong? I took them shooting when they were younger. It's just what is going on and when Hillary gets elected, it's going to get worse.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

jask wrote:

My daughters don't like guns and would vote to ban them. They certainly don't want their kids having guns. What have I done wrong? I took them shooting when they were younger.

That is sad. Sorry.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Silhouette is thinly attended, but some of the other areas are doing very well. Ironically, some of those areas were in pretty poor shape a few years ago. Life's funny that way.

My sons had very little interest in shooting until a couple of years ago when they discovered hunting. I've never been interested in hunting, but they really enjoy it so most of "my" rifles only come home when they need cleaning. If cleaning rifles and loading ammunition are my jobs now, I'm fine with it - traditions always seem to find a way of continuing.
- C.S. Lewis
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Silhouette competition produces the best unsupported standing marksman on the face of the Earth. A man or woman standing out in the wind being blown around while trying for all they are worth to put the projectile where it needs to be is a practice that should never end. We must keep Silhouette going in every way possible.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I tell high speed, low drag guys in their tacticool outfits shooting heavy , scoped rifles from prone, on a mat, that I'll bet my wife will out shoot them using her iron sighted 30-30 if both stand unsupported. Unsupported rifle shooting on silhouettes is the most difficult sport I've ever shot....but really, really satisfying when I hit a target.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

atomicbrh wrote:Silhouette competition produces the best unsupported standing marksman on the face of the Earth.
Have you tried out traditional offhand schuetzen shooting on the German 25-ring target?

It's all good to me. And all of it is equally difficult when everyone bellies up to the line with the same gear.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Silhouette shooting either rifle or pistol is hard. Not like other shooting matches that you can find these days. Three guns, steel matches, bench rest, 3p, etc.., does not take the same high skill level as our game. The sad part is the lost of and/or lack of pistol matches. I drive three hours one way to get a hunter/small bore hunter pistol match. It is the only match around. No big bore pistol matches found. If you look at the NRA web sight you see articles on all types of shooting but none on silhouette shooting. It looks like the NRA don't care for the silhouette shooting game.