A Good/Sad Day at the Range

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Small Bore Match at Ben Avery today, any day you can shoot can't be all that bad, but I was shooting with Hugh Birnbaum who does the optics questions for The NRA Magazines and he does the Optics for Shooting Times, he informed me that he isn't going to do the Shooting Times any more. At this stage in his life if he is going to be slumped oversomething, not breathing anymore, he would rather it be a shooting bench than a typewriter. If you haven't met Hugh, he is very funny and about as dry as a Bond Martini (shaken not stirred). Jim
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Out playing in the heat we're we Jim....
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

That we were. Don't mind the heat so much as the wind. It seems that it has been especially windy this year, and of course everytime you hear Listo/Load/Ready the wind has to shift into high gear. Last week I was practicing at Ben Avery and I ended up with 4 minutes of left wind before I could touch a Turkey, normally with that much wind the shooter will be moved around some but on the firing line it didn't feel that bad, but somewhere in between it was moving pretty good. Jim
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Wow... didn't realize it was that windy there without a storm brewing. My niece lives off the Carefree Highway and I keep hoping to get my 96 year old mother convinced to move there. Someday.... can't wait 8) Until then only SB shooting around here, unless you want to drive 4+ hours.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Ben Avery is a great place...........I'll never forget the Rattlesnake thas they would'nt let us shoot on the Chicken ralil that morning a couple of years ago..........I never knew that water had a particular smell until I shot Ben Avery......

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I don't know what is about Turkey bunkers but the snakes sure like them. I had one there in Mesa, and there used to be a few at Ben Avery until they sealed all the holes up. I bet I've seen one of the shooters at BA kill at least 4-5 rattlesnakes right in the parking lot.