How far will you drive for a local match?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: How far will you drive for a local match?

Post by dustinflint »

GTS wrote:
I am in the process of essentially semi-retiring, if that works out the way I want it to we will relocate closer to one of the more active clubs. If Louisiana was as hilly my as my beloved TN I would already be there :)
SqHunter,

We have all the hilly country you could ask for in Arkansas. But even more important, we shoot all 3 cowboy disciplines, smallbore, highpower and black powder cartridge rifle matches. If you make it to our regional match in April, stay a few days extra and find some property to buy.

Greg
Benton Gun Club is world class. Anywhere that you can shoot a full-scale Highpower match every month and have a top-notch regional championship is a great place to be a shooter. Plus the club is full of GREAT people and that's the most important thing.

Dustin
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

I guess I'm pretty lucky...
2:28 drive for 2x40 high power matches on the first Sunday of the month
1:21 drive for 4x40 smallbore matches on the second Sunday of the month
16 minutes drive for 4x40 smallbore matches on the third Sunday of the month
27 minutes drive for a fun smallbore match on the second Thursday and a fun .22 handgun match on the third Tuesday of the month
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Local is one day's drive for me. Generally under 1000 miles. Nonlocal matches are more like 1400.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Pretty lucky here in Western North Carolina.
Benny & Kathryn Grigg run 2x40 Smallbore Silhouette matchs 50 minutes to the East of Asheville on the 1st Saturday of the Month.
I run 2x40 Smallbore Silhouette matches on the 2nd Saturday of the month.
Charlie Meli runs Polk Count gun club 45 minutes South of Asheville on the 4th Sunday - 2x40 Smallbore Silhouette.
Then there's the Reedy River Matches - 1.5 hrs away (as mentioned by Gohstofwar) but it's on the same weekend as Benny.
And some from here have been to the Mid-Carolina in Columbia on the 3rd Saturday - 2 hrs away.
The 3rd Satruday of the month Brian Long runs a Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette match back at PGC - 50 min East of Asheville

So, we have it pretty good too in the Mountains of Western North Carolina - for Smallbore Silhouettes that is.
High Power is a little further to drive - about 3 hrs, near Atlanta.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

24 miles (30+ mins). SB and PC only. While that sounds good, I gave up shooting Field Target as that drive was 125 miles one way...into Maryland.

There are trade-offs on locations for the shooting sports.

Other clubs are 100 miles (about right Boats?) to Chesapeake. And 90 miles to Fairfax.