The NRA silhouette committee meeting

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

The NRA silhouette committee meeting

Post by DavidABQ »

Since the Silhouette commitee meeting was yesterday does anyone know if the NRA Has decided on where next year's SB Silhouette Nationals will be held?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: The NRA silhouette committee meeting

Post by DonM »

They were still meeting a few hours ago..
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Ok here's what I know. SB and HP will be in Ridgway in August in 2017 and continue to rotate with Raton.
CLA and BP will be in Raton in 2017. After that BP will always be in Raton and CLA will rotate.

I only got a brief report so don't press me for details. This is all I was told.
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Thanks Al,that's seems a very fair solution.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We'll see if it helps the numbers. I hope it does. I think the moves will help the scope sport numbers but I'm skeptical about the lever gun Numbers. NOW...who on the WEST coast or the Pacific Northwest has a range big enough to handle the nationals. I think it's only fair that the west coast guys/gals get the nationals every third year. East, west, central...now that really sounds fair.
Just Be Nice **==
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Has the committee meeting for silhouette officially concluded?

Can we expect the east coast to be shunned when we discuss national competition?

Is it like the illustrious Al Foust has described?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Yes you can take it to the bank SB and HP will be held at Ridgway in 2017.
PLEASE DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I don't have to post this info if you don't want me to. You can wait till April when it's reported in Shooting Sports USA

Illustrious Al
Team Sierra Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

No messenger shooting here. I am disappointed it will not be held at The Whittington Center exclusively for the next decade or so.
I never had a problem with the alternating arrangement either and it is rather fair to most of those involved.

Thank you Illustrious Al.
Cowgirl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cowgirl »

Other than the CLA ranges at the Whittington Center, is there any other facility in the US that can host a National CLA championship for 150+ shooters?

Cowgirl
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Cowgirl wrote:Other than the CLA ranges at the Whittington Center, is there any other facility in the US that can host a National CLA championship for 150+ shooters?

Cowgirl

Most likely by next year at this time there will be one in existence at the Ridgway Rifle Club. It was already approved by the club membership. If the NRA gives us the commitment it will be built, and it seems that is the direction they want to go.

Let's be honest, with the average age of the shooters attending at Raton being Seniors or Super Seniors, it just a matter of time till the CLA numbers will begin to drop there as SB and HP have. It only makes sense to move the matches to other areas and expose new shooters to the Nationals experience.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I was wondering the same thing Cowgirl. Is there a range on the west coast that can handle the Lever action nationals ? If the NRA approves the move thing than it is only fair that the Nationals be moved to the west coast every third year to attract new shooters....or the pacific northwest. I hope the lever action Nationals stay at Raton, but to attract new shooters I'm all for the move(s). I will never drive back east to shoot, but california and washingron state are really pretty and we would make that drive for sure.
Just Be Nice **==
glgraves
B Poster
B Poster

Post by glgraves »

In answer to the question Cowgirl ask about ranges on the west coast, the answer is yes. The Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup, Wa is big enough for 150 cowboy shooters. The range in Custer, Wa is also big enough. The Los Angeles Silhouette Club range is also big enough. The question is, do they want to host a cowboy nationals?

Glenda
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I haven't shot at Paul Bunyan, but I have shot at Custer, WA, and I hope to do so again at their last latch of the year this weekend. I like the range but it's nowhere close to big enough to host a national championship. I think they only have 20 of each of the targets up at once, so only two shooters on each animal if shooting all 10 targets before resetting or four shooters on each animal if you reset after every bank of five.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I really like Raton, but if there's a range on the west coast that will/can host the lever Action nationals, then I'm all for that move. East coast one year, raton next, then west coast. I think moving HP and small bore silhouette to the west coast every third year is also a great Idea. I'm with Al, that would give the West coast people a chance to shoot also and put on a National Championship match. It just takes a few folks from one of those ranges to get the ball rolling with the NRA. We go to raton every chance we get and would travel to the west coast for the nationals...we just won't go back east.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I think we might need California to step up and be the place on the west coast then. I haven't heard of centerfire cowboy lever action matches being shot at any place in Oregon. In Washington, I have shot those matches at the only two that I know of that shoot NRA-approved matches. Those two places are Pe Ell (same place we have the Conard Cup smallbore tournament) and Custer. Neither has the capacity to host a centerfire lever action national championship match. The Paul Bunyan range was mentioned above, but I haven't heard of them shooting centerfire rifle cowboy matches and I can't find the matches on their calendar. They show a pistol silhouette monthly match, but if they used to shoot rifle matches they evidently don't any longer.