Knobloch shooting glasses?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Knobloch shooting glasses?

Post by cedestech »

Bought a set. Been shooting with them all weekend. Liking them while actually addressing a target, PITA the rest of the time. Anyone else use them? What do you do with the big empty space to the left (right eye) ? Thought of anothe lens holder with normal prescription and maybe bifocal or another blinder?

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Knobloch shooting glasses?

Post by BrentD »

They probably work great - until you have a gun explode on you. I'll keep my Ranger Edge glasses. They proved themselves beyond a doubt.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

PITA...? What's that.
How is the new vest working out?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Another Dang 9 wrote:PITA...? What's that.
Pain In The Arse!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote:PITA...? What's that.
Fits fine. Haven't shot with it yet. Wife stole it out of the closet, wrapped it and put it under the tree... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

LOL for herself?!?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

I used them for a while, but went with a pair called Junnkers. The lens is fixed, but tilted to help with correct view. Has full lens, both sides. Look like Harry Potter in them. Also felt better with eye protection. Bob Jones also makes a very inexpensive frame you can twist to fit.

chuck
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

I thought about shooting glasses of that type, but took a different approach.

I have needed glasses since grade school, and in my 50's needed to go to bifocals, and then trifocals.
I run our local match and go from shooting to doing paperwork . I did not want to have to change glasses all the time.

After talking with my optometrist and optician, I had a special pair of lenses ground for some old frames. The left lens is ground as any other pair would be, including the trifocal lenses. The right lens has the optical center of the lens ground on the left side of the lens, centered where my right eye is "aimed" while shooting offhand. The two trifocal lenses ground as they would be in any other pair of glasses. To determine the position of the right eye optical center I made arrangements to bring my rifle in to his office. He could then see my head position and marked on the old lens where the optical center should be, then measured that and the angle so he knew what to order for the lens grinding.

With these glasses I use the trifocal lenses as with any other pair. For distance viewing the left eye image is fully corrected, but the right (and dominant) eye image has some distortion to it. This distortion is relatively mild. Many times I have not realized I was still wearing the "shooting" glasses until a day or two after the match, when I notice eye fatigue later in the day. A part of this is that the frame is the same as my usual glasses, but has a scrape in the finish at the top. I cannot see a difference in the glasses in a mirror- I have to take them off and look for the scrape in the frame.

When shooting and using the scope there is no image distortion in my right eye, and I am not using the image from my left eye. (I use a white foam blind attached to the scope).

The above system works because I am using traditional trifocals, with 3 distinct lenses ground into them. This system provides the best "off axis" peripheral vision within each lens, but there are blurry lines where the 2 lenses are ground into the primary lens. This means that I can leave my head still and move my eyes to look through the edge of the lens and have a corrected image.

The "progressive" grind for bifocals/trifocals has an area in the middle of the lens providing a seamless ( lineless) focal distance change as you look through the lower center of the lens. There is also increased distortion to either side of the central "focused" area. To keep the image in focus, you have to move your head from side to side, and leave your eyes centered . Try that hunting deer or turkey...
I tried progressive lenses for a month years ago. This was a long enough time to become used to them- and conclude I did not like them as I was constantly moving my head. This was not during a hunting season. I do not recall trying any offhand shooting with them.

Does having the best image possible for the aiming eye make a difference? I believe it makes a difference, but not a major one. Would I do it again? Yes, I would. Every little bit helps, and I can use all the help I can get...
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

eeleater wrote: I made arrangements to bring my rifle in to his office. He could then see my head position and marked on the old lens where the optical center should be, then measured that and the angle so he knew what to order for the lens grinding.

Does having the best image possible for the aiming eye make a difference? I believe it makes a difference, but not a major one. Would I do it again? Yes, I would. Every little bit helps, and I can use all the help I can get...
That is probably what I will do if I can't get comfortable in these. These use a aiming device that fits on the lens, basically a blind with a tube aperture, so you get the lens perfectly centered with your eye and the sight picture. I like the idea you are looking through the lens optically centered as opposed to looking through the lens at a angle.