Scope mounting

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scope mounting

Post by thauglor »

It is the distance that is inducing the windage error, not turning of the elevation knob when the scope is canted in relation to the rifle but level with the ground.

In our game our target distances are set so it can be put into the scope just like the elevation. I mostly shoot SB so it's no big deal, but I will not compromise my position for high power when I can get rid of the windage error with a scope windage change.

Looks like everyone is right :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

That works if you remember to do it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

WOW! Such a boring start to this about a new product on the market thread but it turned out to be such an entertaining thread.

I rather enjoyed it. Thank you everyone. I may have to reexamine my scope mounting.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

The picture didn't help because it was explaining something that I already understood. What I said is the windage change from the distance change of our animals is negligible. I canted the scope to maintain consistency in my hold by using the reticle as alignment as my natural hold has the rifle rotated slightly counter clockwise.

I'll ask for the third time and give up after. When you fire, is your scope reticle aligned with the horizon? If so, did you cant the scope to the rifle or did you adjust your natural hold?
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote:WOW! Such a boring start to this about a new product on the market thread but it turned out to be such an entertaining thread.

I rather enjoyed it. Thank you everyone. I may have to reexamine my scope mounting.
Myself as well. One thing that I've always missed on the silhouette forum was technical discussion and preferences based around them. Refreshing!
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Does anyone use the method with a plumb bob to align the vertical axis of their scope reticle? If so, does this help the issue with windage?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Yes, I use the plumb bob and string down range with machinist's bubble levels on the rifle and scope to verify.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Doodaddy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 am

To answer your question, I align the x hair with the center of the bore. I hope I don't can't my rifle when I shoot. The windage error gets to be a bunch at 1,000 and 1,200 yds.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Jerry G wrote:Doodaddy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 am

To answer your question, I align the x hair with the center of the bore. I hope I don't can't my rifle when I shoot. The windage error gets to be a bunch at 1,000 and 1,200 yds.
I'm sure, but I hope you're not doing free hand silhouette shooting at that distance either. If so...you're more a man than I! If you're talking about a bench gun, I see no advantage in canting the scope in any scenario.

I initially mounted scopes perfectly aligned with the bore and tried to adapt my stance/hold when shooting freehand silhouette to have the scope aligned. I found that my adapting of my body impacted stability and kept me from shooting decent scores along with some back pain which seems odd for someone my age. I canted the scope to be aligned with the horizon in my stance, looked for windage changes, saw none that was any issue (POA and POI were consistent across all animals in my indoor range) and things have improved.

I see the pros of both, but there are cons to both. I suppose a perfect world would be perfectly aligned in stance and bore, but that hasn't come naturally to me thus far.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Doodaddy wrote:.....When you fire, is your scope reticle aligned with the horizon? If so, did you cant the scope to the rifle or did you adjust your natural hold?
I establish my position when mounting a scope by:
1. While maintaining NPA, obtain correct eye relief.
2. WIth the rifle mounted, adjust the reticle orientation until the cross hair is level, at least to my eye.

So the cross hair is level, it's just the rifle that's canted underneath the scope.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Boyd L. wrote:
Doodaddy wrote:.....When you fire, is your scope reticle aligned with the horizon? If so, did you cant the scope to the rifle or did you adjust your natural hold?
2. WIth the rifle mounted, adjust the reticle orientation until the cross hair is level, at least to my eye.

So the cross hair is level, it's just the rifle that's canted underneath the scope.
That is exactly what I am currently doing. I shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed to my natural point of aim and open my eyes. The scope is perfect with eye relief and reticle level.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Doodaddy wrote:
Boyd L. wrote:

That is exactly what I am currently doing. I shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed to my natural point of aim and open my eyes. The scope is perfect with eye relief and reticle level.
This is the most comfortable means of holding position for me. I suppose there are certain physical builds that permit a good shoulder purchase, off hand position, face placement, and head orientation along with keeping both the rifle and crosshairs parallel and level. Just not my body type. =p~
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Boyd L. wrote:
Doodaddy wrote:
Boyd L. wrote:

This is the most comfortable means of holding position for me. I suppose there are certain physical builds that permit a good shoulder purchase, off hand position, face placement, and head orientation along with keeping both the rifle and crosshairs parallel and level. Just not my body type. =p~
That's kind of what my lines of questioning are geared towards. Where are shooters compensating? Hold or scope? Does an unnatural hold become natural after a few thousand stubborn shots? Or is the natural stance more important? Just all curiosity.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you have a 3deg cant at 500m the error will be about 1/2 inch. Everyone wants a 1/2 minute gun but some are willing to give up 1/2 inch by not mounting their scope the way they should. I guess I am a little confused. You could buy a cheep 1 min gun and mount the scope right for a lot less money than most spend on a silhouette rifle and get the same group. It really doesn't mater to me how you like to mount your scope. Mount it un-level and don't forget to crank in windage.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Doodaddy wrote: That's kind of what my lines of questioning are geared towards. Where are shooters compensating? Hold or scope? Does an unnatural hold become natural after a few thousand stubborn shots? Or is the natural stance more important? Just all curiosity.
Since a small amount of scope cant (relative to the rifle) is mostly insignificant, I cant the scope on the rifle so that the scope is horizontally aligned with the target when the rifle is held in the most comfortable position. I don't compromise my stance/hold to match a perfect scope/rifle alignment and I don't hold the scope/rifle so the reticle is off-kilter to horizontal.

Does that make sense? I does in my head but sometimes it's hard to convey in words.

Lastly, I should mention that my smallbore rifle's scope is canted for my best hold but my TX200 is nearly straight.
Allen Corneau