Huge Gaps in the Silhouette Map

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Huge Gaps in the Silhouette Map

Post by atomicbrh »

There are large areas in America where there are no Silhouette matches. No scoped rifle Silhouette between East Louisiana(Jonesboro and Baton Rouge) and West Georgia. No scoped rifle Silhouette between Pearlington, MS. on the Gulf Coast (basically New Orleans) and Little Rock, AR. to the North. We hold Air Rifle in Brandon, MS. but we do not have enough room for Smallbore. That means no scoped Silhouette in East Central Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, West Georgia, most of Tennessee and the panhandle of Florida. That is a huge area where no silhouette exists. I am sure this has happened in other parts of America. How do you remedy this situation?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Huge Gaps in the Silhouette Map

Post by dustinflint »

atomicbrh wrote: How do you remedy this situation?
Start a match.

Dustin
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

We all need to act like Johnny Appleseed and spread the word. It takes time and effort. But there is a whole new batch of new gun owners out there that are getting bored punching paper by themselves.

The demand exists. The rest is up to you.

Just did my part and added to the MAP (did not even know I could do that.) :D
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Hotrodrockets wrote:... It takes time and effort. But there is a whole new batch of new gun owners out there that are getting bored punching paper by themselves.

The demand exists. ...
I wish I could believe that. Here in central Iowa, I say, "No way."
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

dustinflint wrote:
atomicbrh wrote: How do you remedy this situation?
Start a match.

Dustin
Exactly. It takes a lot of time and effort to put on matches. If you're not willing to do it, you're part of the reason why there's no matches to attend.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

We put on the Coop Shoot. It is a family effort of 7 family members. Mine and Vickie's first grandchild is on the way, so she counts. For sure, it is not a walk in the park. We have put the Coop Shoot on for two years now, and February 11th and 12th of this month will be the third one. And as we work together, we have yet to get into a family squabble and I don't forsee one either. I am taking a weeks vacation next week in prepartion for it. All of us are needed to see to it that the match runs smoothly and the food is fit to eat. :)) =)) But, at the end of the day, Sunday afternoon when the last shooter leaves, we have a big smile and a good feeling of a sense of accomplishment. I do not regret starting to do this at all. And doing this wasn't my idea either. Dustin, Thank You for talking me into doing this in the first place.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

I enjoy putting on matches also. It does give a sense of satisfaction when everyone has a good time, and we have a great group of guys and gals that help us and are willing to do whatever is asked of them.

There's a couple of Okies will be at your Coop Shoot. You boys and girls have fun.

~Jeanne

ps: Congratulations on the grandchild! There is nothing that compares to being a grandparent.

~jr
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne started CLA at our range and man did she ruffle some of the guy's feathers..she even had some stern talking to about this and that by the old guard. Luckily, for them, she was in the mood to take schooling " the little woman" speech bs. She now runs a GREAT program and puts on one fine regional every year.

Our Black powder range is being completely made over. It's a flat, level 100 yards x 100 yards with a great berm.
It will have several ( 15 to 20 ) covered shooting positions and be about as nice as our silhouette range.

We are considering getting with the air rifle guys/gals and starting a Air Rifle silhouette match when that range is available.

Enough folks to sustain the match may not show each month..but we'll try. You never know if a program will make it or not until you try.

give it a whirl

PS. I would STRONGLY advise NOT approaching Jeanne now with the questions " Why'd you do it that way?" or
" can I make a suggestion?' Trust me...you'll only do it once and then you'll need a safe place to cry in.
Just Be Nice **==
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Use to have matches in Chattanooga (Chattanooga Rifle Club), but they were stopped this year. Ten plus years of good rifle matches gone. There are matches in Hoover Alabama (Brock's Gap Training Center) each month. They shoot CLA smallbore and CLA pistol cartridge along with smallbore hunter pistol and hunter pistol (scope and iron sights). A club in Jackson Tennessee (Tennessee Sports Foundation) has started this year with smallbore standard rifle, smallbore hunter rifle, cla smallbore, and smallbore hunter pistol matches each month. North Georgia (Chatuge Rifle Club) still has CLA smallbore and pistol cartridge matches along with smallbore standard and hunter rifle. Riverbend Gun Club in north Georgia shot HP standard and HP Hunter rifle last year. But so far it is not on calendar for this year.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

There's a couple of Okies will be at your Coop Shoot. You boys and girls have fun.

I know! Their entries came today. We love it that the match is growing and that shooters have confidence that it won't be a waste to travel from Oklahoma. We will do our best not to disappoint anyone.

~Jeanne

ps: Congratulations on the grandchild! There is nothing that compares to being a grandparent.

Thanks. We are really excited about it. I bought a Chipmunk.22 when my oldest son was ready and also for our 2nd son. I've already passed it on to to our, yet, unborn granddaughter, along with a box of 22 shorts.
~jr[/quote]
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

If anybody in Rankin County, MS. is reading this and has the private property suitable to hold any kind of silhouette match, contact me. Julie and I will start matches. We have a great air rifle and air pistol range but not enough property to hold any matches that require more than 45 yards.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I filled a gap on Wisconsin State. :D
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

All going down hill

Post by SqHunter »

Seems to be going down hill the last few years. Bowling Greene Ky closed down, Chattanooga closed down, the old Sheffield range closed down, Magic City, etc. etc. Hope the new guy at Jackson can get matches going, otherwise there is not much shooting in the TN/KY/AL area.

Do you think the losses all come down to economics? Seems like shooting only persists in the wealthier areas. TN and KY have a good hunting tradition, just not a competitive shooting tradition for some reason. Funny how most of the active clubs are near the coast too.

Good luck finding a place to host matches at. My wife and I sold our farm last fall and thought it would be easy to relocate to a smaller place and build our own club. Yeah right! Try finding affordable land without neighbors that lays well and has a solid backstop at one end. It has been a year now and I have not seen the first suitable place in a four state area real estate search.
Last edited by SqHunter on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I think there are numerous clubs that have not posted on the Silhouette Map. I know of two more in Wisconsin and plan to contact them to see if they want on the Silhouette Map. Not everyone is aware of Steel Chickens or have no use for forums.

The other 2, I know do not have sanctioned matches with one Northwest of Milwaukee and the other just south of Milwaukee. I need to contact them and see if they want listed with contact information.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

teetertotter wrote:I think there are numerous clubs that have not posted on the Silhouette Map. I know of two more in Wisconsin and plan to contact them to see if they want on the Silhouette Map. Not everyone is aware of Steel Chickens or have no use for forums.
CMP sporter suffers from the same lack of advertisement. It is even harder to find places to compete in rimfire sporter than it is silhouette. They seem to advertise large bore, but not small bore.