BEST places to live in NEW MEXICO

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

BEST places to live in NEW MEXICO

Post by GSL »

HI ALL ,
I am tired of living in the tundra of PA .
I am thinking of relocating to SOME part of NEW MEXICO ...
I love shooting and specialize in silhouette rifle ...
I understand that there is cold but little snow ... I hate snow ...
Any body who lives in the state who also loves TIRO , please HELP

thank you GSL ...
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: BEST places to live in NEW MEXICO

Post by Jerry G »

I would go to the Los Cruses area. Not many miles to El Passo where you can shoot a lot of silhouette. It isn't very cold either.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Thank you Jerry G ...
I will check it out !

GSL ...
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I would give serious consideration to moving to Raton. Get a life membership at the Whittington. It's also close enough to make a run to Abq and take in their matches, and up to the CRC at Byers and shoot the matches there.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Raton is a dying town. I've looked at it for retirement and I just can't do it. Over the hill in the Trinidad area - maybe. But not Raton.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Los Cruses area is a good area. Or best just move to El Paso. No state tax and lots of silhouette shooting.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I live in the Albuquerque Metro area and my job takes me over most of the northern part of the state.

Do you snowboard or ski? How do you feel about flat/rolling hills? Just how far away from a small town do you want to live?

In the Albuquerque area we get an inch or two most of the time when it snows but typically it is melted by noon on the same day in most cases.

The area around Raton is beautiful but Raton is a city contracting in size. Las Vegas, Nm is about an hour away and is much more vibrant and it has an university there.

Albuquerque is the largest metro are in the state with three shooting ranges in the metro area, Zia Rifle & Pistol Club, Del Norte Gun Club and of course the City of Albuquerque Shooting Range.

Las Cruces is actually a very good suggestion. New Mexico State University is located there and it a good size community. The guys over in El Paso, at least the ones I meet at the Whittington Center, are extremely nice. If you are a retired veteran then perhaps Alamogordo, NM with Holloman AFB located there might be to your taste. El Paso has an Army installation located there if that matters to you.

It gets more snow but if you are into the artsy stuff then maybe somewhere near Taos, NM might be someplace to consider. That may be the prettiest part of the state but expect more snow. Like Santa Fe, people who live in Taos are a little different, eccentric.

If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me and I will see if I can help.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

If you drive around the city of Raton during the summer, you will see multitudes of large snowplows parked behind buildings. That fact tells me that I do not want to live near Raton year round. Many people have a job in South New Mexico during the winter and North New Mexico during the summer.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ALL ,
I didn't expect a lot of responses ... you guys are the best !
IT turns out that I make large paintings to show ... artist .
I usually piss people off from around NYC as I am a gun NUT ...
TAOS or other places all sound nice , I may call some people about this ... IS that ok ?

thank you GSL .
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

atomicbrh wrote:If you drive around the city of Raton during the summer, you will see multitudes of large snowplows parked behind buildings. That fact tells me that I do not want to live near Raton year round. Many people have a job in South New Mexico during the winter and North New Mexico during the summer.
Did you know that there is a really bad country song called, "It's Snowing On Raton"? Go to YouTube and search for it, but I warned ya...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

BrentD wrote:
atomicbrh wrote:If you drive around the city of Raton during the summer, you will see multitudes of large snowplows parked behind buildings. That fact tells me that I do not want to live near Raton year round. Many people have a job in South New Mexico during the winter and North New Mexico during the summer.
Did you know that there is a really bad country song called, "It's Snowing On Raton"? Go to YouTube and search for it, but I warned ya...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0JWdsm5jJg
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Guess it all depends on what a person is used to. Having family and friends in the area, it sounds like a bunch better winters than what I have here.
Speaking of snow on Raton,,, looks like the pits doesn't it? :lol:http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/r ... s_cams.htm
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I like Raton but it is a community that is struggling. Sure it gets snow; it sits at the bottom of the Raton Pass which connects New Mexico to Colorado.

Now, both Taos and Santa Fe are very artsy, Taos more so; I want you to keep in mind that not too far from the city are ski slopes. They get a fair amount of snow up there.

I say they get a fair amount of snow but I am originally from a place called Hyde Park New York and what we get here for snow is typically a joke compared to where I grew up in NY.

Snow here typically melts by noon except on the north side of building and even then it often melts there too but the end of the day.
7dperini
Unclassified Poster

Post by 7dperini »

The best Smallbore Silhouette range in the state is in Hobbs, NM. Check it out at silhouette-club.usa. Hobbs is a community similar to Odessa, TX. It is at the north end of the Permian Basin Oil Fields. It is about 25,000 very nice folks -- 100 miles from Lubbock, TX, 70 miles to Carlsbad, NM. Lot of State land in SE New Mexico. Excellent mule deer hunting, blue quail hunting and dove hunting. Great weather, but don't forget, in NM you are in a sparsely populated State. For example, once you leave Roswell, NM going North, it is 95 MILES to the next town -- Vaughn, NM, a ranching community of about 200 souls. Also, excellent elk and antelope hunting in certain parts of NM. Some folks can't handle the isolation -- especially wives.
7dperini
Unclassified Poster

Post by 7dperini »

Taos is the artists mecca! (But I would hate to live there). Peter Hurd lived in the Hondo Valley east if Roswell, NM. My old football coach was quite an artist and spent his retirement in Las Vegas, NM (another place I would not choose to live). He had a short drive to Colorado type mountains to the North and East. If you like to paint mountains, wide open spaces and beautiful sunsets -- then New Mexico is your place!!