Are Club Web Sites Useful

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...

Are Club Web Sites beneficial?

Yes they are
89%
No they are of no use
11%

Total votes: 38

cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Are Club Web Sites Useful

Post by cslcAl »

I did finally get a response from our web guy. It's just a shame it has to be this way, but that is how it is with all volunteer help.
People wind up doing jobs because no one else will, just for the good of the club. Too often they are either not qualified or not motivated.
My worst fear in running matches was that I'd do it so long that I didn't care anymore and run a bad match. Fortunately that has not happened, but I have stepped done from my duties after 15 years of running matches. I did get a group of younger folks who are eager to keep the ball rolling.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

450 views and only 30 votes?
Come on folks, click the button and give Bob some useful results.
Taps
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Ok lets put the website in perspective.
- The younger adults do not have home phones, they have cell phones. How many on this board still is clinging to their home phones (FYI I am one).
- How many people actually bring into your housel all the junk the NRA or your state association, or other the Wednesday coupon books? All the stuff I receive goes unopened into the recycle bin.
- How many have you searched the internet to find out about the schedule of another club or event?

I guess were I am headed is a club website and email list are no longer optional if you wish to reach anyone new. Keep it up to date, keep it current. If you want a chance to grow the sport past anyone who is 55+.

Got to have a website........

Greg
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

GregG wrote:Ok lets put the website in perspective.
- The younger adults do not have home phones, they have cell phones. How many on this board still is clinging to their home phones (FYI I am one).
- How many people actually bring into your housel all the junk the NRA or your state association, or other the Wednesday coupon books? All the stuff I receive goes unopened into the recycle bin.
- How many have you searched the internet to find out about the schedule of another club or event?

I guess were I am headed is a club website and email list are no longer optional if you wish to reach anyone new. Keep it up to date, keep it current. If you want a chance to grow the sport past anyone who is 55+.

Got to have a website........

Greg
This pretty much captures reality assuming there are young shooters in the first place. In all of the matches I attend, generally speaking the only shooters I see that are even somewhat young are children of some other shooter. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part, there isn't much presence of shooters sub 40.

The first step is having a usable site that is routinely up to date and the second is figuring out how to make people look at it.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I don't use club websites per say,but do depend on club match directors sending me their club info as they have my info from previous participation.
I already know which ones I will probably attend.
State and regional matches mostly take some preplanning.
Others of interest I get off of this website.
My previous method was print version of Shooting Sports USA,or later online version.
Now I can't even find that on SSUSA it's such a mess.
No need to wait 3 months to get on that calendar.
Attn: match directors,put your upcoming matches here.
Looks like a great year to travel for shooting.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Guys, I do not dispute the shooters of silhouette are as my mother said old as dirt. However a constant theme of this board is there are no new shooters. You are not going to get information by the match director knowing who may or may not want to shoot. If there is a chance a new shooter NOT old as dirt is going to take up the sport they will find it via the world wide thingy.

We have to change to, what did work, is not working today. And is certainly how most are getting there information. Why are you on this board for example if you do not need the internet?

Greg
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

There are lots of ways to get information out, there are volumes to be read on the topic of how to use the internet. Without any advertisement our facebook page has 300 followers. You got to try.....something....even if it gets you one new shooter.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

GregG wrote:There are lots of ways to get information out, there are volumes to be read on the topic of how to use the internet. Without any advertisement our facebook page has 300 followers. You got to try.....something....even if it gets you one new shooter.

We have a FB page?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

To Quote Bill Bellichick
*(Chewing something)*
"I don't use face-chat or snap-book".
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

cedestech wrote:
GregG wrote:There are lots of ways to get information out, there are volumes to be read on the topic of how to use the internet. Without any advertisement our facebook page has 300 followers. You got to try.....something....even if it gets you one new shooter.

We have a FB page?

Sorry the club we are a member of does search facebook for Bayou Rifles.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Another Dang 9 wrote:To Quote Bill Bellichick
*(Chewing something)*
"I don't use face-chat or snap-book".
Congratulations you are out of touch. Everyone can live under a rock and feel good about not using any of these social media tools. And trust me there is lots to dislike but millions use them.

The work is changing and how information is received. Speaking with an NRA board members several years ago he said the NRA is struggling with how to reach the younger groups as the old ways do not. One of the traditional ways was junk mail. He said the younger groups just threw away the mailings (even I do that and am not young).

So what I am trying to say this group can ignore the changes that are or already have come or embrace them. Yeah change is scary but who knows maybe we can be a better informed group with some new shooters.

Greg
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I don't think we are going to pick up young shooters through the net thingie. They are going to come out of club youth shooting programs. Most of the good shooters that came out of the Bozeman area came through the 4H BB gun program until their great coach moved out of the area. Now they don't even shoot monthly matches anymore.

I have been shooting sillyhoutte since the early 80s and everyone then was saying all we have is old people. Nothing has changed except the old people then are all dead now. We keep getting a new batch of old people.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Jerry G wrote:I don't think we are going to pick up young shooters through the net thingie. They are going to come out of club youth shooting programs. Most of the good shooters that came out of the Bozeman area came through the 4H BB gun program until their great coach moved out of the area. Now they don't even shoot monthly matches anymore.

I have been shooting silhouette since the early 80s and everyone then was saying all we have is old people. Nothing has changed except the old people then are all dead now. We keep getting a new batch of old people.

Sorry Jerry, I cannot disagree more and yet agree more. Yes, the young (children) are coming from 4H, etc programs. Young adults 20s do and are getting their information from the web. I work around 30-40 of them. I am just about the only one to have a phone at home, get my news printed, or off television. Many do not have TVs but do have computers.

Sorry the world is changing, you can disagree all you want but as you pointed out you will be dead soon (I hope not) and they will use new ways to communicate. Get on board, and stop pretending change has not happened.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I will say that I think initial exposure to the sport does come from youth shooting programs for very many young shooters, but that does not address retaining the shooters and keeping them informed once they're over 18 or so. If something appears stagnant, it certainly doesn't draw in anyone new.

If a club is entirely content with the status quo of their group/participation, then sure modern information channels have no benefit for them. If they expect to grow or at least not disappear, something needs to be adapted.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

I may be the exception but I can say almost all of the new shooters here in Houston have been and are well into the adulthood. I was 40+. Almost all are 30+ here. Not discounting the young but how many truly young shooter show up, for us it if pretty close to zero. Unless you count for Fathers dragging their kids to the range.