classifications

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: classifications

Post by BrentD »

Jerry G wrote:So........................ you win AAA at the nationals and you take home a little piece of rock with a pen. And.... everyone knows just exactly how you won that cheep award. What is the point?
I dunno. I have a few of those AAA winning rocks. I don't have ANY that say I'm a national champion. That's what I'm looking for. I don't really care if I do it as a Master or a AAA, but I'd sure like to earn Master class in BPCR irons. I've been close.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Actually there are incentives to winning a lower classification at some of the bigger matches. At the Conard Cup, the class winners get to pick prizes off of the prize table (something like overall winner, top master, top AAA, etc., 2nd master, 2nd AAA, etc.). There are frequently some pretty big prizes there, so as an example it's better to be in the top 1 or 2 of the AAA class than 15th in the master class if you don't have pesky morals to get in the way of personal gain. Not all matches give away only trophies.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Brent, it would do you no good to sandbag to become national champ. That goes to the best shooter regardless of their classification.

Jason in all the years I have been shooting that match, I am not aware of any sandbagger. I could be wrong. I guess if someone is that unsure of themselves that they have to cheat, most shooters I know would have nothing to do with that person. Friends are hard enough to come by that loosing them over something like that isn't worth it.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I wish I didn't know of anyone who had sandbagged at matches and then won prizes as 1st or 2nd in a classification at Conard Cup. You are right about it becoming well known and causing hard feelings.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Jerry G wrote:Brent, it would do you no good to sandbag to become national champ. That goes to the best shooter regardless of their classification.
That was exactly my point. Sandbagging is just not an issue. I find it hard to believe anyone is dumb enough to do it, much less successful at it.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Years ago Winnsboro was a big Smallbore regional match and the prizes for class wins were Leupold 6.5-20X EFR scopes. There would be a B class shooter who would shoot a 14 at every monthly match and then once a year at the regional shoot a 19. Just enough to not be affected by Rule 19.17.1. There were probably others doing the same thing at other locales if we had one doing it. Then I saw the AAA many years ago with 34 and 32 on a piece of tape on the left side of the spotting scope so that he could remember not to shoot a Master class score but come as close as possible. To me the fun is in hitting the targets. The more targets you hit, the more fun it is. It makes no sense to have great equipment and great ammo but put a round in the dirt on purpose.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Maybe the 32 and 34 were sight settings. :roll: