Color Tinted Shooting Glasses

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DnL627
B Poster
B Poster

Color Tinted Shooting Glasses

Post by DnL627 »

So at my local SBCLA matches we shoot white painted targets against brown dirt berms in the morning from 9:00am to Noon.

At times I find myself having a little trouble finding a sharp contrast between the targets and the berms. It mostly appears to be the way the light hits certain targets and the shadows cast by the rails. I currently use clear lenses for my shooting glasses. In the clay sports, folks will often use yellow tinted glasses because it makes the clays appear to easier to see against the sky. Is there a color tint recommendation that would serve a similar function for a white target?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Color Tinted Shooting Glasses

Post by Tlee »

DnL627 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm So at my local SBCLA matches we shoot white painted targets against brown dirt berms in the morning from 9:00am to Noon.

At times I find myself having a little trouble finding a sharp contrast between the targets and the berms. It mostly appears to be the way the light hits certain targets and the shadows cast by the rails. I currently use clear lenses for my shooting glasses. In the clay sports, folks will often use yellow tinted glasses because it makes the clays appear to easier to see against the sky. Is there a color tint recommendation that would serve a similar function for a white target?
Amber seems to help just a slight amount over yellow (looks yellow at a glance, but with of more of an orange tint).

- Tim
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I use rose/vermillion tinted lenses from Decot Hy-Wyde in Phoenix. They take the blue color out of the spectrum and give me the best contrast between target and berm. I even use them on cloudy days because my eyes are light sensitive. May not work for you, but I like them. You need to just try them to find out. 8)
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?