Match Director question

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Match Director question

Post by jloehle »

What do other Match Directors do about shooters who show up and they say they have not shot in a while and do not have a book (or do not know where it is)? They used to shoot it a number of years ago but do not know what class they were or where their book is.

Do you allow brand new shooters to shoot without a book the first time to see if they like it before having to buy a book? I will usually allow this and keep their scores recorded so when they do buy a book the next time, I add their first score in.

Just a couple things I have run up against recently. Would love to know how others handle it, AND/OR if there is a prescribed way to handle it according to rules of some kind.

Thanks,

Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Match Director question

Post by cedestech »

jloehle wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Do you allow brand new shooters to shoot without a book the first time to see if they like it before having to buy a book? I will usually allow this and keep their scores recorded so when they do buy a book the next time, I add their first score in.
Yes and the way you handle it is the way you should handle it. It's the Golden Rule.... if you showed up at a new to you match trying to decide if you want to participate which would you rather have.... stand off-ish people who don't let you look at the equipment, explain the way it works and shoot the match to see if it may be your cup of tea or do like we do and shove a rifle in your hand and encourage participation? I know you know and are just looking for affirmation, trust me, you'll get it. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Your approach sounds fine to me........

Shoot well,

Jim
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

We have what we call a shoot thru, it allows the new shooter to shoot 3 times to see if they are interested, without buying a book, the scores aren't recorded towards classification. Usually a shooter that is interested will purchase a book before the third time. The ones that aren't don't bother showing up after the first or second time.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

Thanks for the answers on the 2nd question.

What about the first one? This is the tougher one for me. I don't think contacting the NRA will help at all because they have no idea what class we are in. I have run into this with people who have legitimately just lost their old books and years later can't find them. I have also seen people who may have conveniently not been able to find them.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

When I was a match director, known shooters who showed up without a book were put in the highest class that was at the shoot that day. No exceptions. Some would whine about it but I didn't care.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

To reply to the first question, I'd throw them in Master class. Also it depends on how many blow buddy's the shooter has within the NRA, one known Master shooter showed up to a match with a letter signed from Greg Connor allowing him to start his classification over, he moved himself far enough up to go to a Nationals and win the AA class. Something to be proud of for sure.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

BTDT. put them in whatever class their score falls into, make sure they leave with a door prize and a full belly. Make sure they have fun, shoot as many different rifles as possible. It's a club match. No book, no problem. Regional and State matches, follow the NRA rules. IMHO. YMMV etc....
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'd just be nice and treat them as a new shooter..until you have reason to do otherwise. I'll let you in on our little secret...we take a pic of the scoreboards and e-mail them to other match directors. We have only had to correct a couple of shooters. Some really don't know or can't remember. Some seem to never shoot a match all year and then BAM ..they win the nationals in their class ...for a couple of years ! One score and you're classified is the remedy for that and showing them a pic of the scoreboard from another state is really kinda fun !!
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

In the monthly smallbore rifle silhouette matches that I run, if shooters want to compete for match winner or anything associated with NRA scores (grand slam, x-in-a-row pins, etc.) then they have to follow all NRA rules. That includes rifle, shooter gear and having a current NRA scorebook. I let shooters shoot "practice" matches that don't count using gear that doesn't meet NRA rules, up to and including letting them shoot off the bench. This encourages attendance, especially for kids. The price for shooting the match is the same, whether shooting for official scores or practice, but that additional $13 book and tiny targets that have to be shot standing is a fairly tall initial barrier for some new shooters.

We also do this for the smallbore cowboy rifle and smallbore hunter's pistol matches. We have had shooters use bolt action rifles with scopes to shoot at the cowboy targets off the bench for practice scores and have a grand time, and then they progressed to getting lever action rifles to shoot standing for official scores. I have often recommended that discouraged new shooters that hit very few of the 1/5 scale smallbore targets come back on smallbore cowboy match day to shoot the cowboy targets as practice matches, and then work up to the 1/5 scale targets. It's not news that hitting targets that fall down is fun, but missing them isn't nearly so much fun.

We definitely let new shooters shoot practice matches and try to help with advice if they aren't hitting targets. If that doesn't work, we steer them toward the cowboy matches with the bigger targets to make sure they have fun.We usually run a smallbore/PC cowboy regional every two years, and for that match it's completely by the NRA rules, of course. For our monthly matches, though, the idea is to have good attendance and make sure everyone has fun.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

At our club matches, I used to let a new shooter shoot once without buying a book. I would sign and date the score card, and when he or she came back they had to buy a book, but I'd put them in the class they shot the first time they shot. Likewise if a shooter came to the last club match of the year I didn't have the heart to make them pay $13 for a book. However they will shoot as non competitive and will not be eligible for awards.
Registered matches though a book is mandatory.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jloehle »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Some great ideas and experiences in there. I appreciate it.
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

The first time you shoot the SB matches I run, there is no entry fee.
While I do this to encourage those who have not shot silhouette before, I apply this to everyone.

I do not expect those shooting for the first time (or two or 3) to buy a book, but do if they continue to shoot.
They shoot as unclassified.

If someone does not know their classification I have them shoot as unclassified. Makes the most sense to me. This does not come up that often at our matches. The prizes we have come from the entry fees of the shooters in that class that match. Usually the shooters in unclassified are shooting for free, and there is no entry fee. If someone has come to our matches to hustle the prize money they must have been disappointed.

If the "hustler" did not leave disappointed it was because they were lucky- and won the drawing for that match. While 1/4 of an entry fee goes for prize money in that entrants class, another 1/4 goes to prize money for a random drawing that all the shooters in that match are entered in (even those who did not pay an entry fee). The intent of the random drawing is to reward those who come to shoot, regardless of how well they shoot.
Modo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Modo »

Hi Joe,

I think rule 19.7 covers your first question:

19.7 Lack of Classification Evidence - It is the competitor’s responsibility to have an NRA Official Classification Book containing scores of prior matches. Any competitor who cannot present a classification book containing prior scores will fire in the highest available class and will be required to purchase a book.

James
Last edited by Modo on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

In Oklahoma, we let folks shoot without a book a couple or three matches, then require them to buy one. Or like Al, towards the end of the year I get more lax on the requirement. Some of the guys who shoot our matches will never shoot anywhere other than our match and are not interested in being classified. Conversely, if someone shows up and says they haven't shot in a while and can't find an old book and don't remember their classification (yeah, right), they are automatically put into Master. It's their responsibility to keep up with their classification.

Another good argument for the NRA keeping the scores online.

~Jeanne
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.