Those of you in Texas

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Those of you in Texas

Post by Tlee »

acorneau wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 am They say that if you're not in the immediate area then it's more efficient to make monetary donations. I'm sure there will be a bunch of start-up organizations asking for donations but the Red Cross is a good one.

Also, Harvey has moved out of the Houston area but is now dumping on Louisiana. We have many good silhouette friends there and I hope they all make it through ok. Hang in there guys!
Agreed! Please don't forget about the small towns like Rockport, which was "ground zero" for Harvey.

Also, for the Houston folks; I heard from Matt L that he and Lisa made it out ok yesterday. Downstairs was totally flooded, looks like they lost most all the cars (Matt is a collector, of sorts... his Corvette was inches from being totally submerged when they evac'd), but they are alive and healthy!

- Tim
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Another Dang 9 asked about charities to donate to other than the Red Cross.
Might I suggest our denomination's disaster response group, Presbyterian Church in America Mission to North America.
This group takes kitchens, portable showers on trailers, portable bathrooms on trailers, mobile bunkhouses and all sorts of assistance to disaster areas.
This is not some fly-by-night church group. It has been around for decades.
I am very sure that everything you donate is tax deductible.
Here is the link on how to donate and latest news:

https://pcamna.org/disaster-response/
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Those of us in Houston who are high and dry are truly blessed. The pictures ya'll have been seeing on TV don't do it justice unless you have lived here and understand what a HUGE area is effected. This came up quick to. Not quite as quick and a tornado or earthquake but literally 5 days before it started raining not even the weather forecasters were imagining that it would spin up this big this fast.

I don't know who to tell you to donate to if you chose to but please do a little research. Some very large national organizations with slick adds have pennies on the dollar going to actual good.... the rest pads the managements pockets....

Thanks for the well wishes.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I returned to Rockport for the first time since the hurricane yesterday. I was lucky, my place didn't receive any structural damage - just some leaking around the windows and not much of that. I cleaned out the refrigerator and packed up some additional clothes.

There are no leaves left on any trees. It looks like the dead of winter, except its very hot and humid. There are trees down everywhere. On the main street through town there are some building tht look untouched and some building that are simply not there any more. Little Bay is full of "stuff" and looks like the water is lower. The Heritage District was hit & Miss. My favorite coffee shop is gone, but the Latitudes restaurant looks OK.

I went by a camper sales lot - there was a large pile of aluminum thy had pushed together and many campers on their side. The RV parks were in similar condition - some OK, some just a pile of metal, many upside down.

The "Italian" restaurant that can't make a decent pizza is, of course, OK.

Utility crews everywhere, we're suppose to have electricity by 9/8.
The National Guard troops were standing on corner balancing their rifles on the palms of their hands.
Police of every description were very visable.

Bottom line - Rockport is pretty much beat up and limping. It is going to take a huge effort to get the town back and it is going to take several years to rebuild it.

After WWII most of Europe was in the same shape. They rebuild and made it better. I have high hopes that will be the case for Rockport and Coastal Bend Texas.

Back in Fredericksburg until there is electrical power and gasoline.

Michael
DSC_8025.jpg
DSC_8027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."