Those of you in Texas

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Those of you in Texas

Post by snaketail2 »

We left Rockport on Thursday when the storm was upgraded to Cat 3. We're staying in a friend's vacation home in Fredricksberg and watching the TV for any sign that our part of Rockport was spared....Got word from our condo property manager that the property about a 1/2 mile east of us came through with only a single broken window. Maybe the luck extended to our neighborhood.

People in Fredricksberg have been wonderful to us. When they found out we were running from the Hurricane they really opened up. Free breakfast, prayers, bag of German pastry and you know this is wine country! If ya gotta be a refugee this is the way to do it!

I don't know how long we'll be refugees, but so far its been a nice stay in Fredricksberg.

It has been stressful to my wife and myself, the cat is doing best - she hasn't missed a meal yet.
The weather is cold a d rainy - nothing like Houston who is going to get the water without all the wind.

A couple next to us at breakfast were from Corpus - he said the refineries have shut down and gas is going to be hard to find. He suggested we fill up now. On the way back to our farmhouse I noticed the price of gas had gone up 10 cents while we ate breakfast.

Thanks to all who asked. We're fine, just want to know about my home in Rockport and hoping I don't have to become a ward of FEMA.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

MB-

Glad you guys hung around central Texas...
Judy has cousins in Rockport, including a couple of them that stuck around for Harvey to keep the family business from being looted. We haven't heard from them yet, other than they're OK. I saw from a news report their business building is still standing, but did suffer some roof damage. Cell coverage is nearly non-existent and we've been told they won't fix the towers or bring in temporary cells until Harvey has passed or dissipates.

Just curious, are ya'll seeing the video links I'm texting you of the area? Dunno if you can see your area in them or not.

- Tim
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

Mostly OK here in Katy. Been raining all day long and the local catch pond is higher than ever but holding. Runoff is still flowing down hill. Looks like a tornado may have touched down at Iain's high school with a few trees and street signs down.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

David -

Glad to hear y'all are ok. Still more coming, but hopefully there will be a lull in the rain bands to allow some of it to drain. Dylan and Katy are with her family near the Woodlands, but even they are catching tons of rain with some flooding. A bunch of our friends are stranded in LaPorte and at least one has lost everything they own in Friendswood. Lots of folks hurting in the area and I don't think Harvey is done yet.

Our prayers are with everyone in South Texas,

- Tim
IMG_1779.JPG

DJA wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:42 pm Mostly OK here in Katy. Been raining all day long and the local catch pond is higher than ever but holding. Runoff is still flowing down hill. Looks like a tornado may have touched down at Iain's high school with a few trees and street signs down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Isn't Friendswood where Pat lives?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Our house is ok. My wife is a nurse and is trapped at work. They sheltered in place and had 3 of the 4 wings flooded. The patients were moved to dry spaces within the building. Luckily it never got deeper than ankle deep. The water has receeded for now.
Elisabeth is with my dad. They havent had more than 6 inches in his house. Elisabeth got their cars to high ground. She has so much snap.
I am up in Dallas. I was in OKC. Looks like no one is getting home anytime soon.
Thank yall for your thoughts and prayers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

You will need to strip about 6" above the drywall that got wet and allow it to dry. It may help to remove the insulation also. Treat the sill plate and studs with bleach to prevent mold growth. With the humidity there, it could become a real problem.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Wish you all well there is Texas. Stay high and dry. well at least keep your powder dry.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

We finally got news this morning from one my wife's cousins in Rockport, albeit via national news coverage...
This story features him at the family's auto parts store, amongst others hit:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5553335651001/

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tlee wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 pm
Just curious, are ya'll seeing the video links I'm texting you of the area? Dunno if you can see your area in them or not.

- Tim
Saw the videos - glad we decided to bug out. Want to go home, but there is no power or water yet...at least we have a place to go to.

Thanks,
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

We up here in the north east send you our prayers and wish you well Texas.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Rain really let up today, light sprinkles mostly. The best part was this afternoon around 5pm the sun shone through for a little bit. We haven't seen the sun since before Thursday so it was like a literal ray of hope. I stood outside for a moment and soaked it in.

There are still areas that will see rising floodwaters as the water tries to make its way to the Gulf. There are people that have lost everything and will be homeless for month to come. Please consider donating to your favorite charity to help those in need.

**==
Allen Corneau
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Other than the red cross are there any local charities you can post? Items you can use?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

They say that if you're not in the immediate area then it's more efficient to make monetary donations. I'm sure there will be a bunch of start-up organizations asking for donations but the Red Cross is a good one.

Also, Harvey has moved out of the Houston area but is now dumping on Louisiana. We have many good silhouette friends there and I hope they all make it through ok. Hang in there guys!
Allen Corneau
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 pm Other than the red cross are there any local charities you can post? Items you can use?
Great guy with lots of good info here:

https://youtu.be/0L1M_nj2CTo

Facebook version of the same video (w/o the advert):
https://www.facebook.com/watchchad/post ... 5264185862

- Tim