It was bound to happen.

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

It was bound to happen.

Post by DavidABQ »

Yep, a Cabela's just opened up this weekend in Albuquerque, NM. I couldn't resist, I swung by there yesterday around 5:00 in the evening and it was a zoo. All the wannabe snipers and special forces posers were sweeping muzzles all around the place while they played with AR15s, AKs, SKS and other paramilitary rifles that I am unfamiliar with.

You would think these people have ever seen a firearm before? :shock:

It was enough to make a person grab their rifle and go shooting in the rain. :-o
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: It was bound to happen.

Post by atomicbrh »

Not familiar with AR, AK, SKS?
My Elmer, your avatar does fit well. :)
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Bobby: I think the letters stand for:
AR is automatic rifle,
AK is AK47 is a Chinese assault rifle
SKS is a Russian assault rifle
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

What can I say, I am old and don't play around with those type of rifles.I guess I am a L-)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Not sure everybody here knows that the tactical operating, operator community call people who do not own any of the three rifles in David's original post a "Fudd". A "Fudd" as in Elmer Fudd who only owns traditional wood stocked, brightly blued hunting rifles for hunting "wabbits" and has disdain for any black rifle or rifle with modern composite parts.
Thus, David's avatar is the ultimate funny.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

After years of working for gun stores that specialized in the tactical scene, I got fed up with it and quit. After 300 or 400 gun shows, I tired of seeing people wearing 511 clothes and desert combat boots who could not hold a truck hood sized group at 40 meters unless they were on the bench. The vast majority of customers just wanted to buy every cool gimmick that came along but never work on any real marksmanship skills.

I worked for one store that actually assembled many AR's and a few AK's from parts. That work consisted of shooting every rifle they produced with many different types of ammo and many different magazines to prove reliability. If a rifle did not function 100% then I troubleshooted it on the spot and fixed it right then on the firing line if the fix was something simple. If the fix was going to be complicated the folks at the shop went through the rifle again or I went through it again when I was at the shop. I shot so many AR's that I had a legal pad each day to document for the shop what each rifle would and would not do. I learned a lot about AR's. People frequently ask me which AR to buy. I tell them any AR with the proper aluminum upper and lower that proves itself to be 100% reliable with any ammo and any magazines that you could ever have on hand. It does not matter what brand it is or how much it costs. It can be super cheap or super expensive as long as it not a gimmick AR and you actually shoot it yourself with every kind of ammo and every kind of magazine you have. They then ask what if the rifle is not a 100% rifle. I tell them if the problem cannot be found and repaired easily, sell it or trade it and get another one. Go through that process until you find one that runs like a sewing machine and takes everything you can throw at it.
The Silhouette community is the best group out there and that is why my family does Silhouette.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am Not sure everybody here knows that the tactical operating, operator community call people who do not own any of the three rifles in David's original post a "Fudd". A "Fudd" as in Elmer Fudd who only owns traditional wood stocked, brightly blued hunting rifles for hunting "wabbits" and has disdain for any black rifle or rifle with modern composite parts.
Cool, if he is a fud then I am a stick in the mud fuddy duddy........and I love it.
Lever action and single shot rifles, bullet casting and gunpowder(charcoal, sulfur, potassium nitrate). I must admit that I have heard rumors about some real new stuff like adding antimony to casting alloy and smokeless gunpowder.
I'll just stay stuck in the mud, it's comfy. :lol:
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am Not sure everybody here knows that the tactical operating, operator community call people who do not own any of the three rifles in David's original post a "Fudd". A "Fudd" as in Elmer Fudd who only owns traditional wood stocked, brightly blued hunting rifles for hunting "wabbits" and has disdain for any black rifle or rifle with modern composite parts.
LOL! =))

I did not know that! I guess I should change my board name to Elmer. \m/
21step
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 21step »

Ken Green wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:21 pm Bobby: I think the letters stand for:
AR is automatic rifle,
AK is AK47 is a Chinese assault rifle
SKS is a Russian assault rifle
AR stands for Armalite Rifle, Assult Rifle is a media driven thing. We don't call our Springfield Trapdoors assult rifles but they were used in the same manner and for the same purpose as all these "assault rifles" that we hear about today.

I think the AK and SKS are switched as well.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

David, you were trolling and you did not know you were trolling which is the ultimate trolling. =))
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 am David, you were trolling and you did not know you were trolling which is the ultimate trolling. =))
Damn, I am good or just clueless. Either way this is hilarious! :))
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

If I paint my Trapdoor black, can I call it an assault rifle?
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I use my AR for varmints...its hell on prairie dogs, wood and rock chucks and ground squirrels and other assorted attack vermin. I prefer a bolt gun period. Although during our recent urban issues the AR came in handy ..it makes quite an impression on the impressionable. Both the AK and the SKS were Russian but manufactured in every soviet bloc country. SKS proceeded the AK in Russia
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Since I'd never heard the term previous to this mention, (and by the above description I would classify myself as "pretty nearly" a Fudd... if it were not for that fugly Hi-Point Carbine I keep as a SHTF "backup to the backup gun" option)...

I Googled the definition of Fudd and found something rather disturbing;

According to the Urban Dictionary, a “Fudd” is a, “Slang term for a “casual” gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called “non sporting” firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.”

Well damn... Since I do truly believe in the second amendment and, although I don't have the same love for "non-sporting" firearms as I do a lever action or other wood stocked, worn blue or patina finished firearm, I certainly don't have anything fundamentally against the GI Joe/Barbie doll firearms (note that comment is an OT joke, not to be taken as "unwarranted scorn or contempt")... So I guess for now; Yet another label I would've proudly worn bites the dust!...

Apparently I'm still "just plain Contemptable",

:ymcowboy:

- Tim

Edited 1 time cause I can't spell contemptable
Last edited by Tlee on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Thanks for the definition Tlee. Now I know what to call those folks....HA! But on a serious note, I shot trap and sporting clays and there were many clays shooters who fit that definition---in fact a lot would not/did not support the NRA or believe anyone should own an "assault rifle". Also, I have a friend who fits that definition---hunts and owns guns but thinks that no one should own a "black rifle", and to top it off, he is a politician.......