Lones Wigger has left the Range

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Lones Wigger has left the Range

Post by atomicbrh »

Lones Wigger passed away yesterday, December 14th, at approximately 6:51PM Colorado Springs time.
The last time I talked to Wigger was at the Smallbore Silhouette Nationals at the Whittington Center in 2007.
He shot on the firing point next to us on the right all three days.
An Olympic medalist who saw the worth in the Silhouette disciplines. He shot at the Southern Nationals many times when that match was a big thing. Winnsboro, LA. was quite a distance from where he lived so Silhouette must have been important to him.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Lones Wigger has left the Range

Post by Jerry G »

RIP Lones Jr.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

AHWWW ...
I was just thinking about LONES the other day ... I new he had cancer , and I thought he beat it ...
RIP , LONES !

GSL
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/Decem ... Dies-At-80

Truely a legendary shooter. Great man and super ambassador for the shooting sports. Will be missed.

John Neihouse
Commander in Chief, F Troop
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

So sad to hear of Lones passing. I had the privilege of shooting with him many years ago at the Schuetzenfests. It must have been in the late 90's. Lones was a formidable competitor, very tenacious. He was without a doubt the best wind reader I've ever seen. But what I most remember about him was his openness to helping people if they had a question or problem with shooting.

Lones death hits close to home for me, especially, because my father also passed away from pancreatic cancer. My condolences to his wife and family. As a shooting community, we have lost a really great person.

Jim Luke
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Wiggs sat next to the Phx crowd in Raton around 2002, if my memory is correct, what a guy. Condolences to the family.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
woodmanwalk
Unclassified Poster

Post by woodmanwalk »

Sorry to hear this. I met lones at the Southern Nationals in Winnsboro. He was not only a legendary international shooter, but also a very kind, accessible, and helpful person.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Wig was a great guy who still got excited about silhouette shooting even though he held many championships. I recall him prancing up and down the firing line giving everyone high fives when he finished out his SBR Grand Slam in Louisiana. The man held Olympic Gold Medals and got excited about finishing a slam. We won't soon see his likes again.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I meet him in 2004 for the first and only time. He was a very approachable and pleasant person. He will be missed by many.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member