Got paint?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Got paint?

Post by jnyork »

Our silhouette club here in Yuma uses white targets, much better than black, we have found that Rustoleum 2X White Primer is vastly superior to any other brand. Tr;ouble is, it costs $3.80 a can and we use maybe 120 cans in a 6 month season.

I have googled around to no avail. Does anyone know of a wholesaler or discount place that might help us out? We are a senior citizen nonprofit organization.

Thanks.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Got paint?

Post by Jason »

We've had the same great experience with that paint but use the $1 flat white paint from Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot for cost reasons. If you find a way to get that paint a lot cheaper or find cheaper paint that works as well as that Rustoleum 2X white primer, please let all the rest of us match directors know. :)
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Yeah, we tried that Walmart 97 cent stuff, was like trying to paint with milk, :roll:

Will keep you posted if anything materializes.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Check out the ace hardware brand of paint if you have one in your area. It goes on sale for about 1.79 in my area and is good paint that dries fast. If no ace go to the source. Rusto sent our group 3 boxes several years ago for our state match. Tell them who you are and what you want it for. All they can do is say no.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I like the Rustolem white marking paint that comes in the 18 or 20oz cans. It has a large nozzle that sprays upside down (designed for painting on the ground). Covers very fast and is very white. It's more then the .99 a can stuff but covers fast and quick and in the big scheme of things doens't ad "that"much more to the match cost.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Over the last 27 years I have always used Krylon white paint. It dries better and quicker than about anything I have tried. I covers good to, but over the last few years it seems not to be as good as it was for coverage. But still better than the others. Yes it costs more, but you get what you pay for. I get mine at Walley World for $3.89 for the bonus cans.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

For the last two years or so the 99 cent paint from Walmart appears not to be the quality it was when first introduced. As others replied it appears to be too "milky" no matter how much you shake it. My question is: Has the paint sat in the Walmart warehouse so long that no human hand can shake it up thoroughly to get past the milky appearance or is the paint just poor quality no matter how much you shake it? I am researching the build of a AC powered rattle can paint shaker because it will guarantee a more thorough mix than any human can perform.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyq2gmMxxAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9NXgZolB1Y
I am thinking more of a spoke wheel type holder than will hold two or four cans and have better balance.
A reciprocating shaker will not have the parts longevity that a simple revolving shaker will have.
I also thought about the reciprocating saw holders that are sold in the big box stores but I do not want to cause wear on my expensive sawzall with a heavy paint can way out on the end of a shaft. The alternative there is the rechargeable cheap sawzall. Those can be used on ranges that do not have electricity available and do not take up much room.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Have you asked the store manager/owner where you get your favored paint if a discount could be had?
One thing I've found that makes a can of paint last a bit longer, and cover a lot better is those spray handles that go on top of the can. Cost about 4$ a piece, but sure seem to get better mileage out of a can.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

As much paint as some of you use, why not contract the company of your choice and ask for a wholesale price directly. You are buying more paint than most mom and pop hardware stores are going to sell in a year. Why not become a "dealer"?
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

The Steel Challenge shooters at our club swear by "Steel Spray Paint" or some such similar name. It costs $5 per can, but they only use it at the start of the day to cover the whole target. After that, they use the Walmart stuff. I've seen it in use, it is indeed amazing and the coverage from it exceeds Walmart when trying to hose down a whole target. Their are some videos available at their company website.