Update on Changes for 2018 Silhouette Nationals

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Update on Changes for 2018 Silhouette Nationals

Post by thauglor »

Jerry G wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am What is wrong with the word cowboy?

Everytime I tried to explain cowboy lever action, people immediately think of dressing up in cowboy gear like the SASS people do. I think it is a good change.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am What is wrong with the word cowboy?
It is sexist, it should be cowperson.

:roll:
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

lijeboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am Thauglor, correct, no need to write in for entry cards. I will post step-by-step instructions on this forum on entering online before April 3.
The NRA site should be updated it is still showing that to want an entry you need to write in.

That makes more sense.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you very much for the update. It is unfortunate about the scorers. I assume they will hire the target setters?

Thank you again.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Yes, there will be target setters.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

lijeboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am Thauglor, correct, no need to write in for entry cards. I will post step-by-step instructions on this forum on entering online before April 3.
Thank you!
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I just wonder who at the NRA is making these decitions? Some of these are ok but some are just not rite?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

44 mag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm I just wonder who at the NRA is making these decitions? Some of these are ok but some are just not rite?
I am not sure but I cannot express my surprise at being told about it ahead of Nationals.
I certainly can't thank lijeboy enough for this update!!!!!!!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Jeanne,
On the Smallbore Scoped range, can you find another place for the chicken setters besides a canopy directly behind the chicken line?
The chicken setters start out too loud on the first match day and by the third day of smallbore their chatter is extremely loud.
The youthful, teenage banter goes on even between the "Ready" command and the "Cease Fire" command while we are shooting for record.
Too much of a party for the chicken setters.
When I cannot hear my spotter standing right next to me above the volume of the target setters, they are too loud.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Unfortunate that the rings will no longer be awarded. That has always been a symbol for the success of each years winners. Of course John has yet to receive his ring for CLA for last year. When I was last at Raton, the names of the champions had not been added to the Jack Hill trophy for the last few years as well. I will take a wait and see attitude regarding the new management/staff at the NRA Competition Division, especially with regards to silhouette. That said, Ms. Ring, I do appreciate your providing an update on the information you have received.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

44 mag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm I just wonder who at the NRA is making these decitions? Some of these are ok but some are just not rite?
Mike, as you know from being involved in running national matches, it is the competitions division who makes the big decisions. Please let me know which decisions you think are not "rite" and I will try to address them as best I can.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm Jeanne,
On the Smallbore Scoped range, can you find another place for the chicken setters besides a canopy directly behind the chicken line?
The chicken setters start out too loud on the first match day and by the third day of smallbore their chatter is extremely loud.
The youthful, teenage banter goes on even between the "Ready" command and the "Cease Fire" command while we are shooting for record.
Too much of a party for the chicken setters.
When I cannot hear my spotter standing right next to me above the volume of the target setters, they are too loud.
If you experience a problem, please point it out to a range officer or myself.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Jeanne, first off no score keepers for a National Match is just wrong! 2nd for the NRA to do away with the rings is another big problem. It used to be that you had your choice of the ring or $700.00 shooters still took the ring even if they already had 1 or more because the ring ment somthing. 3rd only haveing 1 meal for sb and hp is a problem because some people only shoot 1 or the other. I thank you for keeping us updated on these changes. I feel you are going to be the one who will have to deal with some very upset people when it comes to these changes. Atleast in the past if the NRA did somthing like this Greg was there as a representative of the NRA to deal with it. Mike
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

44 mag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm Jeanne, first off no score keepers for a National Match is just wrong! 2nd for the NRA to do away with the rings is another big problem. It used to be that you had your choice of the ring or $700.00 shooters still took the ring even if they already had 1 or more because the ring ment somthing. 3rd only haveing 1 meal for sb and hp is a problem because some people only shoot 1 or the other. I thank you for keeping us updated on these changes. I feel you are going to be the one who will have to deal with some very upset people when it comes to these changes. Atleast in the past if the NRA did somthing like this Greg was there as a representative of the NRA to deal with it. Mike
Mike:

These decisions are not up for debate. They've been made and it's out of my control, although I don't find any of them to be major or insurmountable.
Silhouette is the last of the NRA competitive shooting sports that employs scorekeepers and has a championship ring. It is time for Silhouette to become compliant with the rest of the shooting sports. And, the ring is being replaced with another very nice award. The dinner for SB and HP is scheduled on a day that is mutually convenient for shooters of both disciplines.

So far, the large majority of comments on these changes have been positive. And the reason for posting this five months prior to the match is so everyone will be informed of the changes and can make a decision as to whether they are so egregious as to prevent them from having a good Nationals experience. No one likes change, I understand that. But Silhouette shooters are resourceful and intelligent, and this match will run smoothly.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

dscak1 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:13 pm Unfortunate that the rings will no longer be awarded. That has always been a symbol for the success of each years winners. Of course John has yet to receive his ring for CLA for last year. When I was last at Raton, the names of the champions had not been added to the Jack Hill trophy for the last few years as well. I will take a wait and see attitude regarding the new management/staff at the NRA Competition Division, especially with regards to silhouette. That said, Ms. Ring, I do appreciate your providing an update on the information you have received.
Thank you for the information. I will check into both issues.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.