SK Specification Match

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: SK Specification Match

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:01 pm
DavidABQ wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am I thought that SB Silhouette Nationals were all shot using Sk or Lapis ammo.
Whatever gave you that impression? Never seen that mentioned before.

I'm pretty sure people shoot whatever their favorite brand may be; SK, Lapua, Eley, RWS, CCI, Aguila, etc.
Maybe so but I see a lot of SK on the line. I will have to keep an eye out for other brands.
bigmike6970
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigmike6970 »

David,

below a link for the results of the 2017 Smallbore nationals.
Page 7 shows the results of the equipment survey for smallbore rifle and page 14 for the hunter rifle.
http://competitions.nra.org/documents/p ... llbore.pdf

Big Mike
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I stand corrected.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

SteveD wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 am

Hunter class would revert to an off the shelf rifle. Factory wood stock, no custom stocks, factory barrels only. Kind of what I understand Bovine Person Lever Action to be. Very much intended to be a go to the store, buy a CZ452 (or whatever) and a scope and shoot. Hunter class has evolved into a pretty much custom rifle thing, a long way from a hunting rifle. That people shoot a "Hunter' rifle in both classes should be a clue. :) Oh well. I don't shoot hunter rifle because of the trigger pull and scope height limitations.

If you want to kill the class, if not SB Silhouette itself, just start this fight again.

Rick
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

This thread had over 2000 views. The number of views shows that there is quite a bit of interest in a ammo specification match where every competitor shoots exactly the same type and same lot number ammo.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 am This thread had over 2000 views. The number of views shows that there is quite a bit of interest in a ammo specification match where every competitor shoots exactly the same type and same lot number ammo.
No offense but not sure how you extrapolate that result from the number of times someone looks at a thread in a seldom visited form and a obscure thread? Sounds like how MSM polling data is formed....

If you have shot small bore anything for any length of time you know that RF rifles are very ammo sensitive and there is no way I'd enter a match were I have to shoot what was given to me. I have seen some very nice rifle that wouldn't shoot SK worth a hoot, or Eley or what ever....

If you want to make it interesting do it kindergarten school supply style....

Everyone brings their ammo, opens it and dumps it into a bucket, everyone has to choose random rounds from the bucket....

Now THAT would be fun.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

I will donate to the bucket! :D
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The bucket idea is even better. Let's do it.
Just specify none of the thick rimmed stuff. Many bolts will not close on the thicker rimmed ammo.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I would be willing to shoot a bucket match. I would hope no RWS ammo. My rifle with the tight match camber will not extract a spent RWS case
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'll donate some Remington Thunderbolts and some CCI Quiets to the bucket.

:D
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm I'll donate some Remington Thunderbolts and some CCI Quiets to the bucket.

:D
I see, nothing but the finest for the bucket. =))
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Don't forget stingers, Colibris and snake shot....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I got a box of CCI blazers that I can donate.

Code: Select all

by cedestech » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 pm  "Don't forget stingers, Colibris and snake shot...."
[/u][/i]

I say use a normal type of ammo that is allowed or used in an actual match.

I say everyone that wants to shoot this match, would dump their box of bullets into a container. Then shake the container and mix the ammo up. Everyone gets 50 rounds out of the container and that is what they shoot the match with. You get no warm up shots. Save the last 10 rounds for any shoot offs. This could happen after the normal monthly matches are shot. :D
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

The market is already here to provide for the bucket match! Image

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I don't know anyone at our matches that would be willing to put some random ammo into their rifles, even the relatively inexpensive ones. I'm certain that no one with a rifle that they've actually put a lot of time and money into building would do such a thing. To add to that, the difference in in point of impact between standard and high velocity ammo is enough to miss smallbore turkeys and rams entirely. Even if you shot the entire match off the bench, the match would be an exercise in frustration. If you used the lever action targets, you might have a chance as hitting them but you'd then have to put away all the smallbore targets and set up lever action targets.

Maybe you guys should spend time practicing for our existing matches, even if just dry fire or visualization, instead of making up new matches. If you just have to get creative, try something that doesn't interfere with competitors rifle/scope/ammo. If you mess with any of those, then you change enough to make the tiny smallbore silhouette targets get missed. That will kill the match quickly. You can try squadding changes like teams of different classifications, speed up timing, put various targets at difference distances than normal, etc.