SK Specification Match

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

SK Specification Match

Post by atomicbrh »

Adam Braverman and the Nammo group have been huge supporters of Silhouette for many years with their SK and Lapua product lines.
What do you think about a SK or Lapua only specification Match?
Other manufacturers like Glock have Glock only tournaments.
In other words you sign up for a match and bring no ammo with you to the range.
Ammo cost is included in your match fee.
When you turn in your book and receive your packet, each competitor receives 100 rounds of exactly the same lot number ammo for the 80 round match. That means each competitor only has 20 rounds to sight in and practice before the match. Another box could be issued just for the people in shoot-offs. Naysayers will say 20 rounds is not enough to put lube down the barrel and 20 rounds is not enough to sight in. The fact is if the ammo type is announced right off the bat then most people will shoot that type ammo enough at home before the match to put lube down the barrel. Other naysayers will say my rifle just does not group well with SK or Lapua but that is not the point. The point is to have cheap fun and make a match an even more level playing field than it already is. The great thing is even our tightest chambers will close on the lowest priced SK-Lapua ammo. The other positive aspect is that most competitors already have SK Standard Plus to get rough zeroes and lube down the barrel before they leave home.
I am not putting this suggestion out there to make every match a ammo specific match but maybe just once a year as a special event.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: SK Specification Match

Post by Grizz61 »

I would be in.

Outside of Match directors buying the ammo from Lapua, and everyone agreeing to shoot lapua for a day, I am not sure how we are truly saying "Thanks for your support" to Lapua. Then again I might just be missing it.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Not just about the profit from one or two cases or ammo.
The match director does not buy the ammo.
Adam and Nammo already provide ammo as prizes at major matches.
The ammo would just be distributed in a different way.
At one match a year somewhere instead of giving that exact same amount of ammo away as prizes, use it as the match ammo given away in the entry packet.
Call the match something like the SK-Jagd Standard Plus Classic.
We get a long time supporter of Silhouette more publicity and other manufacturers may see the need to jump on the Silhouette bandwagon.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

An idea to pursue for sure... Set up a poll and lets see about the interest.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

OK, as I figured I was looking thing form a different point. i think I understand better now what you are trying to do, and I still support the idea.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If that match took the place of another match, I probably wouldn't be interested. Even on my rifles with very nice custom barrels, there's enough accuracy variance between lots of quality ammo that it could make a difference in score on turkeys and rams. In master class, it only takes one or two animals to make the difference between winning the match and not winning. If this was just an extra 40-shot "fun match" added at the end of another match with Lapua/SK shirts and hats and ammo as prizes, then maybe. I wouldn't want to miss out on a major match that lets me use whatever ammo shoots well in my rifles for it, though.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I'd shoot in it.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Interesting proposition. Some thoughts...

In Bobby's original scenario each competitor should receive at least three boxes per 40-shot match: one box for sighters and warm-up, one box for the match, one box to take home. Ideally, if you're trying to convince someone to switch to SK/Lapua ammo they should get a full brick.

Having the event up in Missouri near the new Lapua distribution center would be logical, but how many of us would go? If it's a big enough match with big prizes (full cases of ammo, etc.) I'm guessing it could draw a crowd, otherwise no so much.

Pitch it out there to Lapua and see what they have to say.
Allen Corneau
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

Call me clueless, but why is this a good idea? If, "The point is to have cheap fun and make a match an even more level playing field", then show up with just ear and eye protection and give everybody the same ammo AND the same rifle.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

DJA,
I posted about the same rifle class in 2007:
http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/sea ... ds=claimer
I went further and suggested having a FFL on site and make it a claimer class.
The argument against choosing a spec rifle to keep costs down was that no matter which spec rifle was chosen, the spec rifle would always fit 1 or 2 people perfectly and never fit the majority of people thus giving a huge advantage to the 1 or 2 people that the spec rifle just naturally fit. The purpose of my Spec. Ammo suggestion is if you notice most Silhouette competitors are on a fixed income. To be able to travel and compete they do all kinds of things to save money. They carpool to matches, camp in tents, sleep in buildings at the ranges, cook instead of going out to restaurants, share hotel rooms and more importantly most of them have to buy the cheapest ammo that will chamber in their rifles. My suggestion is simply once a year somewhere to put every competitor on the same ammo that the guys who do not have money routinely shoot. Also, limit the quantity of the issued ammo so that a competitor cannot bring a dozen rifles to test before the match to see which rifle the spec ammo shoots best in and then choose that rifle to shoot the match with.
The other side of the argument is that the ammo sponsor instead of giving out 3 boxes of their lowest priced ammo in their product line could decide to give out the highest priced ammo in their product line. I know I would like to be handed 3 boxes of Midas or 3 boxes of Tenex to shoot a match with.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

Ah, thanks for the link to the "claimer" thread. Interesting idea. I, too, come to silhouette after competing in other individual sports. First was running--pretty hard to buy your way to the front in that game. Second was singlehanded sailing where I always preferred the "one design" classes where the boats are strictly controlled, often with the hull and all equipment coming from one manufacturer. The primary purpose of one-design is to "level the playing field" as you say. That was the attraction for me. The second reason is to constrain costs to a known amount. Note, I didn't say, "to reduce costs." Some classes are cheaper than others. You decide which you want to buy into.

If your intent is to reduce costs, I think you are on the wrong path. Keeping costs down is a very different thing from getting somebody else to pay for and give you the expensive stuff. I better stop here before this turns into a political debate! 😀
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I'd be really happy to shoot Lapua ammo. As you said they do a lot to support our shooting sports. I use Lapua brass and often, VihtaVuori powder.

That being said, my Anschutz, as do many, if not most, seems to like Eley. I have it on good authority that Anschutz uses reamers that will result in a chamber best suited to Eley ammo.

I haven't looked at a Silhouette Championship equipment list lately but it seems that Anschutz rifles comprise the majority of rifles used for Silhouette.

To 'level the playing field' I would propose two rule changes.

Hunter class would revert to an off the shelf rifle. Factory wood stock, no custom stocks, factory barrels only. Kind of what I understand Bovine Person Lever Action to be. Very much intended to be a go to the store, buy a CZ452 (or whatever) and a scope and shoot. Hunter class has evolved into a pretty much custom rifle thing, a long way from a hunting rifle. That people shoot a "Hunter' rifle in both classes should be a clue. :) Oh well. I don't shoot hunter rifle because of the trigger pull and scope height limitations.

Standard class would be (with very few exceptions like the 'programmed trigger') 10 pounds, 2 oz, otherwise shoot whatever you want 'unlimited' type of thing. Adjustable stocks, palm grip, whatever.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am familiar with spec class racing similar to the sailboats. I consulted in 2016 and 2017 for the kart racing team that won both first place and runner-up for our local spec engine class 2017 track championship. We took a lot a satisfaction in putting obsolete chassis up front against younger guys on new equipment and especially making it all year on just two sets of tires for the lead kart. Our drivers were at times 40 lbs. or more over the minimum weight, too big, too tall but we still won. The pit work by our crew was superb with the chassis tuning and hitting the gear ratios just right for the conditions. I was real happy to be a part of that effort. The engines are sealed with cable ties to prevent tampering.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I thought that SB Silhouette Nationals were all shot using Sk or Lapis ammo.

That makes Nationals an SK specification match right?

I am confused.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am I thought that SB Silhouette Nationals were all shot using Sk or Lapis ammo.
Whatever gave you that impression? Never seen that mentioned before.

I'm pretty sure people shoot whatever their favorite brand may be; SK, Lapua, Eley, RWS, CCI, Aguila, etc.
Allen Corneau