TSA locks and shipping

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

TSA locks and shipping

Post by topclass »

S I've shipped my rifle on my ticket more than once in a TSA approved case using TSA locks. TSA locks are flimsy at best and hardly secure the case. My grandson ships his rifle and uses decent masterlocks and has not had his locks cut off or any problems. Both of us have not had issues in shipping rifles back and forth to wherever we are going.

So my question deals more with securing my firearm in its case...should I ditch the TSA approved locks and use a good set of masterlocks? Downside? I'm looking for those with experience shipping their firearms on their ticket, not wanting to get into a debate.

Thanks!
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: TSA locks and shipping

Post by acorneau »

Federal Regulation states*...
(iv) The container in which it [the firearm] is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
A TSA-lock would give many people the ability to unlock it (TSA employees), so by definition they should not be used.

* https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... .1540_1111
Allen Corneau
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I use a Pelican case and 3 long neck Master locks., How many people can open a TSA lock? I always take the bolt out of the rifle and put it in the gun case and they never ask me to open the case for them. Never had a problem at PHX or PDX.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

The original TSA locks are basically no longer acceptable. Rules changed along the way. I use pretty hefty short shackle locks. The locks must not permit the case to be partially opened without being removed.
Byron
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Byron »

I fly about 3-4 times a year with a hard case and four digit combination locks. I put my name and phone number on the outside of the case. I'm hoping that if they need to open it they will try and call first. Never had any issues with the guns. I have accidentally had a few odd rounds in my carry on. Adds a little adventure to the trip. You can call if you have any questions.

Byron
425-301-0977
Do you know the name of this Champion?
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

Thank you everyone! Exactly the feedback and info I was looking for.