Ray Schafer has left the Range

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Ray Schafer has left the Range

Post by ShootingStar »

All,
I am sad to announce that Raymond Schafer (79) - long-time Smallbore Silhouette shooter and seller of the famous ductile cast iron Smallbore Silhouette Targets went to be with his Savior on April 4, 2018.

Ray was a good man, who introduced many shooters to our favorite sport. He started up and sold the Smallbore Target Animals for a number of years. If you've shot at cast iron 1/5 scale animals, you likely shot his design!

The "Ice Man" was a fixture for many years in Western North Carolina and matches thoughout the Southeast and elsewhere! I met him over 15 years ago when he was still very active shooter and target seller! He was always cheerful even when fighting with cancer (that he overcame)!
His nickname came from doing well in shoot-offs! He claimed to have "Ice in his veins and never lost a shoot-off". Don't know if that was true, but it worked on my mind when I finally tied him - and then lost!!!

His wife Kathy and his children of several generations - as well as all of us shooters who knew him - will surely miss him!
Keep shooting straight up there, Ray!

Greg Chandler
ShootingStar
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Ray Schafer has left the Range

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've spoken to him many times when buying targets. Always a gentleman to do business with. He will be missed.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member