Questions on first trip to Raton

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Questions on first trip to Raton

Post by SqHunter »

Can someone please advise where to stay in Raton during the Nationals? My wife and I have almost talked ourselves into trying the Smallbore Leveraction and Pistol Cartridge matches this year and could use some advice.

For instance, is it already too late to book hotels for this year's match? And if hotels are out now of the question, are there camping areas reasonably close to the range?

Other questions include: Do you go days early just to get a place to park? What is the registration process like once we are on site? Where do you eat? How do you find out where you are supposed to be to shoot? What about practice? Etc. etc.

Thanks!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Questions on first trip to Raton

Post by OldRanger »

There is actually camping inside the range. Not the actual ranges mind you, but within the whittington center. They have shower houses etc and are pretty decent. Thats where I stayed last 2 times I went. Never stayed at a hotel so I'll leave that to those that do...
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Wow - not sure if I can answer all of your questions...I'll try.

Hotels - I suggest Trinidad, Co. You'll have a 30 minute drive, but this late in the year it may be the only rooms available.
The Whittington Center has campgrounds - call em, they are easy to deal with.
Go early - absolutely. There is ample parking, but if you get there late you'll have to hike a bit.
Where to eat - not a clue. There are not many restaurants in Raton and the service is not very good. The only place I recommend is the steak house - and I've forgotten the name.
If you think of Raton as almost a Third World town you won't be far off. The name Raton is a corruption of two words: Rat Town. They used to mine coal in the area and bring their trash to Rat Town. The mines stopped working, but the town remained. It has not changed much since my first visit in 1987.

Suggestion - the Competitive Housing may have a waiting list you can get on. They finally have AC!

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

There are a number of motels in Raton, if that's the way you want to go, its about a 20 minute drive to the range. Get there a day early so you can get all the release forms signed and the hang tag for your windshield so you don't have to stop and check in every time you come back in.
Camping at the Whittington Center is a good way to go. There are two rv campgrounds, and a primitive area for tent camping and small self contained trailers. They also have some availability in cabins and "shooter" housing.
During the silhouette matches the shotgun center is open and that's as good of a place to eat as there is close by. Lots of places to eat in Raton, fast food and sit down restraunts. No trip to Raton would be complete without an evening at the St. James in Cimmarron for some fine dining.
Here's the link to the Whittington Center Lodging, If you're pretty sure you're going , now is the time to call and get your reservations.
https://www.nrawc.org/wc-experience/lod ... s-camping/
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thank you, that is very helpful.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

It'll be our first year too. We have a room at the Holiday Inn Express. We have had good luck with them in the past so we'll see. We are staying Saturday through Saturday. That should give us a day or two for practice, sight setting and a day to goof. I've been told to allow at least a day for the elevation if your from the coast like us.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge Lever Action silhouette are both shot on the Hunter Pistol Silhouette Range. There is normally a sandwich wagon at the matches for lunch.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

SqHunter wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm Thank you, that is very helpful.
Glad to help. The Whittington is a really nice place, and the folks in Raton are a friendly bunch.
Enjoy the match.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I stay at the Raton Pass Inn when I go to the Whittington Center. It is on the north end of town, actually you take exit 454 off of I-25 to get there.

http://www.ratonpassinn.com/

Since the OP is new to Raton and I suspect New Mexico I thought I would post this as a informational service.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Last time I was there I ate mostly at a Mexican restaurant called Tequila's. Its just off of Rt.25 before you enter Trinidad. Good food IMO. Also Raton is Spanish for just rat. Just like Boca Raton. (Rat mouth). Camping is the way to go if you can. Or the shooter lodgings.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

We have stayed at competitor housing several times and it is most likley filled up for this year. We decided to stay in town this year at the Micotel. Rates are fare and it is comfortable. As for eating K-Bobs in town is very good as well as the Mexican restaraunt. The Colfax has good food as well. We used to always go to the St James Hotel for dinner one nite in Cimmaron but the last few times it has not been very good and they would not do seperate checks for us and we had like 10 or more people so we didnt go there the last time. Practice is the day before the matches and you can pay i think $20 for extra days. I have always preregistered so not sure how it works if you register when you arrive.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm I stay at the Raton Pass Inn when I go to the Whittington Center. It is on the north end of town, actually you take exit 454 off of I-25 to get there.

http://www.ratonpassinn.com/

Since the OP is new to Raton and I suspect New Mexico I thought I would post this as a informational service.
A place after my own heart. Red or green?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

front sight for Raton?

Post by SqHunter »

Silly question guys: I understand the targets are black with a brown earthen background. I don't think I will be able to see my black post against such a target, what front sight do you use? I would use a fiber optic but we both have astigmatism which makes them glow like fireballs. Might just get a regular partridge sight and some green paint, but I am sure there would be windage error caused by lateral glare. What do you think?
cedestech

Re: front sight for Raton?

Post by cedestech »

SqHunter wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:14 am I would use a fiber optic but we both have astigmatism which makes them glow like fireballs.
Odd, I am far sighted with astigmatism and they don't glow for me.... kinda wish they did at times... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I use a narrow post for sd and pc. Have no trouble on black targets. Use the lollie pop for the long range.