50' adapter request

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

50' adapter request

Post by SteveD »

I've done some reading on how 50' adapters work. One of the considerations seems to be the distance from adapter to the objective lens of the scope.

Could someone who has a 50' adapter screw it into a sunshade mounted on a scope and tell me what the focus distance is please? Also, what length of sunshade?

I'm trying to get to <20'.

Thanks!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 50' adapter request

Post by ter »

You can put 2 together to get 10 yards or so. Never heard and change in mounting impacts focal length.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Someone did the experiment for me. Didn't do anything.

I'm trying to avoid buying 3 50' adapters and stacking them to get to 14'.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

SteveD wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 pm Someone did the experiment for me. Didn't do anything.

14 feet is 4.66 yards! The only scope that I know of that will focus down that short is the UTG Bug Buster scopes (3 yards).

I recently changed the focus on my older non-EFR Leupold scope to go from 25 yards to 100 meters. I just tried the 50' adapter on it and cranked the AO as close as it would go and the focus was still at ~35 feet.

If I was you I would either look at the Bug Buster scopes or just use iron sights or a red dot.
Allen Corneau
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

acorneau wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 pm
SteveD wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 pm Someone did the experiment for me. Didn't do anything.

14 feet is 4.66 yards! The only scope that I know of that will focus down that short is the UTG Bug Buster scopes (3 yards).

I recently changed the focus on my older non-EFR Leupold scope to go from 25 yards to 100 meters. I just tried the 50' adapter on it and cranked the AO as close as it would go and the focus was still at ~35 feet.

If I was you I would either look at the Bug Buster scopes or just use iron sights or a red dot.
~35' is getting there. Someone (JerryG?) said that you can stack two of the 50' adapters and get even closer.

I have an adapter for a Leupold FX-3 25X that focuses at 14'. It is great for dry firing in the house, it is just poor at passing light.

I am trying to figure out something of better optical quality. It's only physics.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Easy solution Steve, aim at something outside the window that is farther away 8)
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I will give it a try, but I have three concerns.

I like to look at a Silhouette target to be able to focus on my aiming point. For me dry firing is a mental as well as a physical exercise.

Finding a point to aim at might be difficult after dark.

I am on the third floor and there is a walkway directly in front of my apartment. People walking past my apartment that happen to look in the window would probably crap their pants. But they would likely only do it once. :D

This is my aiming point on a Chicken.

50 percent Chicken with aiming point when the dot is on the leg the Chicken falls.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.