Update on Nationals Numbers

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Update on Nationals Numbers

Post by DonM »

Some of them beside the afore mentioned economic hit, took serious offense to the classifications being raised and after they spent so much effort getting to AAA and Master found themselves shooting in lower classes that they had worked hard to get out of.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Bob Mc Alice wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 pm Hey Brent, why the rapid plunge in BPCR shooters from 2006 to present?
Probably a dozen reasons, maybe more.

Turn always run from those answers to this question that begin with, "The problem is..."

The problem is, we are getting old.
The problem is the NRA doesn't care about anything except black guns.
The problem is the Whittington Center is uncooperative and self centered around their own monetary needs.
The problems he is the NRA elite only worry about their own big fat pay checks.
The problem is a disease and pestilence.
The problem is the NRA keeps moving the date around every year.
The problem is the nationals are always held at the same place instead of moving around the country every year.
The problem is the NRA has forgotten that it was founded principally for the promotion of national and internatonal competitions.
The problem is quigley has become what Raton used to be.
The problem is Tom Selleck never did a sequel.
The problem is this Sport is too expensive for younger people to get involved.
The problem is this sport is too hard.
The problem is this sport has too many whiners that dominate the Internet and discourage others from sticking their toe in the water.

I'm sure all of you could add at least a few more, but I'm getting too depressed to carry on. However, I am loading today, and you can bet your last dollar that I'll be in Raton by the 21st.
jimkidwell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jimkidwell »

Brent,

I find some lack the initiative to attend the Nationals, so they will come up with excuses or find "Problems" with it. The "Problem" is it serves no purpose and might discourage others from attending a great event. I have often seen comments that have absolutely no basis. In fact, some just want to be seen as an expert, even though they have never attended.

The Nationals is a venue where you can shorten your learning curve and as a bonus, meet and snooze with some of the top shooters in the country.
Stop making excuses and attend...................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Y’all;

Ask yourself this question. Have I introduced a new shooter to Silhouette in the last 5 years?

If you answered no, you are part of the problem. Silhouette is a grassroots sport, and it will only survive if the shooters continue to promote it themselves.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

jimkidwell wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 am... and as a bonus, meet and snooze with some of the top shooters in the country.
I think you mean "schmooze" as I sure don't want to take a nap with most of you people. =))
Allen Corneau
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The "problems" are many. Some are fixable, some are entrenched, some are cultural, some are imaginary.

I think it's a lot like life. You have to make of it what you want of it.

This thread has many good points and some that are ridiculous, They have ALL BEEN VOICED BEFORE.

We are going because it'll be fun and I love to shoot against my peers. I may shoot 40's, I may shoot 20's, we'll
see which version of me wakes up every morning.

I assure you we'll have fun. Any day shooting is fun.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jimkidwell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jimkidwell »

acorneau wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am
jimkidwell wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 am... and as a bonus, meet and snooze with some of the top shooters in the country.
I think you mean "schmooze" as I sure don't want to take a nap with most of you people. =))
I must have been snoozing when I wrote it. Thanks. ;) ...............
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

Taps wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 pm Hey Al, you need to convince some of your "eastern" buddies that it is now safe in the "wild-west", it has been tamed, there are now bridges over the mighty Mississippi, ( no need to swim ), and that they should come on down to Raton and SUPPORT THEIR SPORT. :-bd
This could just as easily read.........
Hey Al, you need to convince some of your "western" buddies that it is now safe in the "wild-east", it has been tamed, there are now bridges over the mighty Mississippi, ( no need to swim ), and that they should come on down to Ridgway (or wherever) and SUPPORT THEIR SPORT. :-bd

The one attempt to hold a BPCR nationals east of the Mississippi was about as badly handled by the NRA as it could have been. With two nationals the same year, even local shooters didn't bother attending. Definitely not a serious effort.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

"Ask yourself this question. Have I introduced a new shooter to Silhouette in the last 5 years?

If you answered no, you are part of the problem. Silhouette is a grassroots sport, and it will only survive if the shooters continue to promote it themselves."

For the most part I agree with this statement. We do our best to promote silhouette here in CO. We have several nice ranges within easy drives. I pen some paragraphs in our club newsletter with some pictures every now and then and submit a monthly club match report that gets seen on our website. I rarely get a follow up call for more info. Those that do call lose interest fast when told "standing up no support" shooting. A few actually came out for a look at the action but did not wish to pursue it further. A couple of members tried it with loaner guns but found out how hard it was and did not return. We have gained a few steady HP shooters thanks to Mr.Bonner gently pushing the new SB shooters to try center fire. Unfortunately we have lost some HP shooters for a variety of reasons, so no real net gain.

I would like to see a refreshed in depth article about rifle metallic silhouette shooting in an upcoming American Rifleman or SSUSA. This could go a long way exposing our games to the uninformed. Not likely to ever happen.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

When I first started shooting XTC I couldn't shoot off hand to save my life. So I spent all my time working on my stance till it became not my best stage but not my worse and my scores went up. Then I started silhouette as it just seemed more of a challenge. Most people just don't want to do something that requires months upon months of practice to just be ok at something. Ask anyone who shoots archery. No one shoots traditional bows its almost all compound bows because they are easy to shoot without the months upon months of practice. I guess my point is we are a special kind of crazy and its hard to convince "normal" folk to join our kind of crazy.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
45bpcr
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 45bpcr »

cslcAl wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 am Y’all;

Ask yourself this question. Have I introduced a new shooter to Silhouette in the last 5 years?

If you answered no, you are part of the problem. Silhouette is a grassroots sport, and it will only survive if the shooters continue to promote it themselves.

Al Foust
You've hit the nail on the head Al

I can't keep track of all the folks who've contacted me over the years wanting information on how to get started.

My answers always been the same.
Here's my cell phone # and email address.
Come to Ridgway the Saturday before one of our 1 day Sunday matches and bring whatever you'd like.
Here's our match schedule.

If you've never tried it before we'll help you.
If you don't have equipment, we have extra.
If you don't have a rifle or ammo, we have extra's.
If you don't have sight settings, we'll help you.

Sometimes the questions are endless.

"Can I shoot smokeless"
Sure can but your score won't count.

"Can I try it off a bench"
Sure can but your score won't count

"Can I use a non-approved rifle"
Sure can but your score won't count.

Most folks don't have a problem with that because they just want to try it.
I don't have a problem with that because I want them to try it.

And, for all you western guys, just remember one thing.
Us New England Yankees made the west safe from the British B-)

Hope everyone had a good Independence Day.

Craig

Craig
Live Free Or Die
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

SSShooter wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am
Taps wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 pm Hey Al, you need to convince some of your "eastern" buddies that it is now safe in the "wild-west", it has been tamed, there are now bridges over the mighty Mississippi, ( no need to swim ), and that they should come on down to Raton and SUPPORT THEIR SPORT. :-bd
Hey Al, you need to convince some of your "western" buddies that it is now safe in the "wild-east", it has been tamed, there are now bridges over the mighty Mississippi, ( no need to swim ), and that they should come on down to Ridgway (or wherever) and SUPPORT THEIR SPORT. :-bd

The one attempt to hold a BPCR nationals east of the Mississippi was about as badly handled by the NRA as it could have been. With two nationals the same year, even local shooters didn't bother attending. Definitely not a serious effort.

Problem with that comment ol' mate is that the Nationals are in Raton this year, I thought that is what we were talking about.
As for the attempt at "Eastern" Nationals, well, let's not start that pissing contest again hey?
Taps
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

Taps wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm
SSShooter wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am

Problem with that comment ol' mate is that the Nationals are in Raton this year, I thought that is what we were talking about.
As for the attempt at "Eastern" Nationals, well, let's not start that pissing contest again hey?
You too, ol' mate, seem to be afraid to go east to shoot. You shouldn't be. We had someone from near Perth shoot several matches with us east of the
Big Muddy earlier this season. Also a couple of Kiwis. They were a pleasure to meet and all seemed to have a most enjoyable time.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

There is merit to the contention that a single location for HP may have some influence on consistent participation. Ditto for the economics argument regarding the drop in attendance. Yet citing the Quigley match supports the single location argument and undercuts the economics argument. Moreover Quigley is not a sanctioned match and more akin to a rendezvous if we look at the significant drop in BPCR attendance. Furthermore I suspect you won't find a lot of HP and SB silhouette shooters at Quigley just like F-class, although at recent f-class matches there was a fair amount of inquiries about HP...but 16lb and 22 lbs rifles they use are not conducive to our sport...but they all have hunting rifles. I encourage them to bring the hunting rifle and actually got a couple of takers. Rotating HP is a limited exercise given the range requirements; rotating SB to various venues just encourages competition and interest and the range requirements for SB are significantly easier to find around the country. Asserting that the Whittington center is popular travel destination is a nice thought but I have my doubts even though I love the place. SB is relatively cheap, easier to start in, and once participation starts and confidence develops progression to HP is an easier transition. Likewise encouraging the off the shelf hunter rifle eases the transition..
BTW there is nothing wrong with having a HP national up east....I love that place too, Great place, great people, good food etc. Having the nationals at my range in St Louis, the middle of the country, would be good except we don't have a big enough HP range ( only 6 banks)… but we could have held the SB nationals
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

cslcAl wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 am Y’all;

Al Foust
Al,
Doesn't CSLC let a first time shooter purchase a book and give them the first match for free as a way of encouraging shooters as well? I know Milroy smallbore range does and I was sure CSLC HP did.