2018 High Power National Champions

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

2018 High Power National Champions

Post by Grizz61 »

2018 National Champion Standard Rifle = (yes believe it or not) Dave Bonner, his first.
2018 National Champion Hunter Rifle = Cathy Winstead-Severin

I will try top get scores up a little later.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: 2018 High Power National Champions

Post by DavidABQ »

A big Congratulations to Dave Bonner!!!!!!! I am very happy to see he finally became a National Champion!

Congratulations to Cathy on her hi-power hunter rifle championship.

\m/
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

What do you mean “believe it or not,” I never had any doubt!! Congratulations Dave!!
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I just got home after leaving the range around 5 pm. Yep, David Bonner is your 2018 NRA National HP Rifle Silhouette Champion with an 88 X 120 score. Cathy Winstead-Severin is the HP Hunting Rifle Champion with an 86 X 120 score. Congrats to both of you. There were a few shooters within striking distance up until the winds hit this afternoon.

A quick match report:

I got there about 9 am Wed. to mostly calm practice conditions. But afternoon winds developed with rain clouds in the distance. We got no rain during the three day event. The next two days saw calm conditions in the morning matches with increasing winds each day for the afternoon matches. Today started out mostly calm but turned out to be the windiest day of all. Besides shooters being pushed around, bullets blown off course, many targets toppled from wind gusts. The setters were having to go back and reset falling animals off and on all afternoon.

Many thanks go out to Jeanne Ring and her staff for running a great match. No problems, no hiccups. Well done, Jeanne.
:ymapplause: You got my vote of confidence for running future matches at Raton.

Another recognition goes out to our very own "Taps" here on SC. He had a flawless performance calling the entire match. He kept it running at a good pace with no wasted time between relays. Competitors did their part clearing the line quickly after completed relays. Well done, mate. ^:)^ Good luck to you shooting the BPCR matches.

Yet another recognition goes out to Adam Braverman and his company for providing the door prize goodies we all love. There was Lapua brass and Lapua bullets in popular sizes and cans of VV powder. Everybody got something nice. I have to thank Byron and Matt for gifting me their Lapua 7mm bullets. They are 6.5 guys with no need for them. Pity. :wink: I will do my best to vaporize them on steel critters.

Ladies and Gentleman , we had the lowest competitor turnout in the history of HP Nationals silhouette. We just squeaked by at 50 with a few late entry arrivals. I believe there was about 43 hunter rifle shooters. This has to raise a red flag at the NRA and does not bode well for future NRA support to hold another National match at Raton. I am at a loss on how to get our HP shooter numbers up. We may well see the demise of another National level silhouette game. Support your sport!
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Score Board photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Thank you, Bob, for the kind words. The weather did cooperate, and Taps kept us moving along to avoid the inevitable WC afternoon rain.

As far as numbers, we didn't hit 50, as one gentleman who had signed up didn't show up. So we were at 49 and 42.

It was great to meet you. Look forward to seeing you again.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

A big congratulations to "Boner'...a well deserved National Championship. Congratulations to Cathy Severin for her Hunter Rifle National Championship. It was a beautifully run championship in no small part due to Jeane Ring and her crew of professionals....I'll be back. And its up to all of us to work to raise attendance....no silhouette lover should ever miss a National. The Whittington range is a great range in a gorgeous part of the country.... :ymhug: . It was simply great to see old friends and to meet new ones...
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Snake, it was great to see you and Lisa there.

Hey, let me tell you about something from the other day. Taps calls relay one to the line on opening morning with the standard rifle. Guess what, I am relay one. 8) At the ready call I get the 25X Leupold dot pretty much hanging in the black. A split second after his FIRE command I press the Remington's trigger. A 40.0 grain charge of Varget propels a 150 grain Sierra Match King speeding to the intended target, #1 turkey in bay 4. It was the very first shot fired at the 2018 HP National Match. CLANG....bingo, the bird goes straight back into the dirt. #:-s Bonner says center low hit, yes. No question the entire line of people heard that hit, it was very calm. Seconds later comes the volley of bullets heading to their destinations,too.

That shot was like a sign from above, a religious experience if you will.O:-) I am among friends and family in the eastern San Juan mountains of northern New Mexico at the premier NRA Whittington Center with a silhouette rifle in my hands. :ymdaydream: Bonner abruptly crashes my religious experience and says go to #2. CLANG, another one bites the dust..........

See you in a few weeks at the St.Louis HP Regional Match. Tell Lisa I was serious about the green beans. I got a pile of empty brass to get loaded up, not enough in stock to shoot your match. Adios.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Thanks to Capstone Precision (Lapua) for their generous contribution to this championship. Thanks to all the other companies and individuals for their contributions and assistance.