Another inquiry...

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Another inquiry...

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

....from a new club member, my 5th or 6th this year. It will be the part about standing up shooting, not prone with an AR-15 in my reply that he will realize it's not for him. :wink:

"Hello, Bob. I'm a member at CRC and saw that you are putting on a match this weekend. I've never shot high power silhoutte and was curious what the course of fire is and what firearm restrictions are. Thanks in advance."

My usual reply...(bear in mind I hate typing.)

Hi Michael,

High Power rifle silhouette shooting is done free standing no support with center fire scoped rifles. We use rounds like the 7-08 and .260 Rem. and .308 to knock free standing steel animal targets off the rails at 200..300..385 and 500 METERS. Lots of fun like an adult shooting gallery. Most any bolt action hunting type rifle is allowed...we do not adhere to the rules strictly for a new shooter to try it out. Weight restrictions are scoped rifle not to exceed 10.2 lbs. We do not allow damaging rounds like .22 center fires on up to including magnum ammo. Common 6mm and 6.5mm ammo is OK. Bring what you have if you would like to try it.

Come out to see what it is all about on Sunday. We shoot two matches of 40 targets each beginning at 9 am and done by 3 pm. Entry fee is very cheap at $10.00 for two matches. Google "metallic silhouette shooting" for complete information about the sport. Call me if you have any other questions.

Bob McAlice Bennett Co 303-644-XXXX
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Another inquiry...

Post by cedestech »

Sounds like my typical reply... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Dang, your matches sound to hard for me!

See you Sunday..
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I would not take up the sport if I were you griz. You are too short to see over you scope.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

I look under
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

.........no response yet. Was it something I said? :?

Off to CRC for some HP practice. 8)
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Yes.

"Standing Unsupported Off-Hand"
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I get those inquiries and respond in a similar fashion. but i always suggest that they come out with their hunting rigs and just try it....the couple of guys that have taken me up have actually stayed...both in hunting rifle class
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I always tell people to bring ANY scoped deer rifle as long as its not a magnum and a shot gun shooting vest then let them work out the details of if its for them when they show up.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

........still nothing, no reply. I will bring an extra rifle and ammo just in case he shows up. :wink:

Every year since I took over MD in 2003, I get a dozen calls or emails about what is silhouette all about. Maybe four individuals in that time actually showed up and shot a match. I have not had a return customer. :?
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I have had a few return customers and about a hand full that came and tried it and didn't come back...two of this last group shot their AR's all 15lbs of them and couldn't understand the stubbornness of the rams :p One of the returning group will join us at the regional shooting hunter rifle! Another returning sport is jammed up with a work schedule....you know that pesky stuff done for money. Bob, are you chasing away prospects? Use a deodorant, brush your teeth, and stop drooling :D
BTW ever visit the other shooting forums like 6mmBR or rimfire central......and check out the comments about silhouette....you'd think it was a cult @-)
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Snake wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:02 am BTW ever visit the other shooting forums like 6mmBR or rimfire central......and check out the comments about silhouette....you'd think it was a cult @-)
We are not a cult? :shock:
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

BTW ever visit the other shooting forums like 6mmBR or rimfire central......and check out the comments about silhouette....you'd think it was a cult @-)
[/quote]
You mean I didn't have to shave my head..?!? x_x
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

My "opinion" on why its difficult to bring in new converts is.... Shooting off hand is hard. There is no easy position or relay you are better at than the others except for pigs maybe. Turkeys will brake your spirit, Rams mock us and a spinning top Chicken leaves you just perplexed. Even XTC they shoot sitting and prone. (Lazy sobs). Even BR silhouette you get to sit. (Lazy bums). HP Precision Rifle. From barricades and kneeling. (Laziest of all). Go shoot one of these events and you'll smoke them all in the standing events.
When I started shooting it was XTC for me. The worst event of course was the standing relay. So I worked on it till it was my best event. Then silhouette reared its ugly head and I've been hooked ever since.
Again this is just "my opinion" for whatever its worth.
NRA Endowment Member
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Silhouette is a riflemen's game....we are not a cult we don't crawl around in the weeds ....but as Conan the barbarian said we know the riddle of steel....once heard it is not forgotten....the ring of the ram and the flop of the pig make us happy