Classification Changes

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Classification Changes

Post by jbolt »

I'm never one who embraces change for the sake of change but I do understand that the book system is a bit antiquated. In the world of silhouette I participate in I have never heard anyone complain about the books. Most are disappointed when they do not arrive in time for the first match in January. On the other hand I get why the NRA would want to change and have all the competitions under the same reporting format.

We average about 16 competitors at our monthly small bore match and I don't have trouble getting the books filled out during the firing periods. I could understand it being more difficult if a club had twice or more competitors. I'm not sure how many do. I have about 50 people on my email roster but they never all show up at the same time. At our lever gun matches held during the week I'm lucky to get 4.

I don't charge new shooters for their first match. Give them a taste first and then charge I say. I always encourage newcomers to NOT buy a book until they are sure this game is for them. We don't require books to participate but, books make it easier for me to keep track of who is there, in which class and when they level up (whether they want to or not). I'm not sure with the reporting system how you would know when someone leveled up until the scores were entered with the NRA after the match. I always like to acknowledge someone at the match when they move up a class.

I do agree that the reporting system would help the NRA understand how many are actually participating, or at least wanting their scores recorded. In the current system the best they know is how many matches were requested. I don't believe I even got jury cards last year and have been using ones from previous years so I'm not sure they are even keeping track of those.

My concern is an extra burden on the match directors in collecting, depositing and sending in additional fees, extra time spent entering scores & match reports in a web interface and driving up the per match cost.

I would embrace an electronic system where the competitors could sign up, pay fees and enter their own scores during the match and all I have to do is certify the scores and hit send but I'm sure there are plenty of venues with no wifi or cell access.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Classification Changes

Post by DavidABQ »

I kinda like the books. At the end of the year you can frame them and hang them on the wall.

:D