Classification Changes

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Classification Changes

Post by DavidABQ »

lijeboy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 pm It is my understanding that the competitions division intends to move silhouette to electronic reporting in the future. Not sure when, or how, it will happen, but my guess is sooner rather than later.
:-o :-ss
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

lijeboy wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 pm It is my understanding that the competitions division intends to move silhouette to electronic reporting in the future. Not sure when, or how, it will happen, but my guess is sooner rather than later.
I sure hope you're right. The sooner we get rid of the scorebooks, the better.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Jason wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 pm
I sure hope you're right. The sooner we get rid of the scorebooks, the better.

Why?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Why? The younger generation depends on how they were trained and they were trained in the gadget punching digital world. That is fine in a climate controlled environment but not at a range far away from the grid.
When in a rainy,humid, extreme hot or extreme cold environment, electricity and battery driven devices fail. Then the only way to document data is memory and pencil and paper sometimes under a poncho in a driving rain. The swamps of Mississippi and Louisiana prove this every day.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:15 am Why? The younger generation depends on how they were trained and they were trained in the gadget punching digital world. That is fine in a climate controlled environment but not at a range far away from the grid.
When in a rainy,humid, extreme hot or extreme cold environment, electricity and battery driven devices fail. Then the only way to document data is memory and pencil and paper sometimes under a poncho in a driving rain. The swamps of Mississippi and Louisiana prove this every day.
LOL... :) I honestly would like to know what the benifits would be of electronic record keeping as oppose to the tried and true books.

(if there was a popcorn eating emoji I'd insert it here....)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

(and changing the handicap ranking names... and the loss of scorers at the nationals...)
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

(not even being facetious.... I do realize people actually have different perspectives and points of view....)
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

LOL... :) I honestly would like to know what the benifits would be of electronic record keeping as oppose to the tried and true books.
Books add an additional cost. The clubs in my region either give away the score book for free or discount the first time shooter match fee from half price to free. Those match fee policies more often support the junior shooter.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 am
atomicbrh wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:15 am Why? The younger generation depends on how they were trained and they were trained in the gadget punching digital world. That is fine in a climate controlled environment but not at a range far away from the grid.

(if there was a popcorn eating emoji I'd insert it here....)
You can borrow mine.

In the spirit of being one of the younger members on this board (I assume. I can't recall seeing any other active shooters ≤ my age posting here.) I'll say this. I hate the books. The book is the dumbest thing I buy every year. Antiquated items that serve little, to no purpose. A copy of the current rules should be accessible from the match director and shooter stats should be available online (match directors submitting them).
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I'm in between, old enough to be "old" but young enough to use technology to it's fullest if I prefer.

I'd rather fill out books at the match then have to screw with data entry when I get home... I like the feel of the book. I like keeping the books (ask anyone who knows me, I don't keep anything that doesn't have a immediate use).

That being said, maybe a combination of books and instead of submitting each and every score only submit a new shooter (new profile) and submit a shooter change in classification with the match report. That is really all the NRA cares about. Maybe include 10 in a row for grand slam and long run and across the course records.

Then again, we could just keep the books... ;)
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 am In the spirit of being one of the younger members on this board (I assume. I can't recall seeing any other active shooters ≤ my age posting here.) I'll say this. I hate the books. The book is the dumbest thing I buy every year. Antiquated items that serve little, to no purpose. A copy of the current rules should be accessible from the match director and shooter stats should be available online (match directors submitting them).
Also 'younger' member I assume. Lose your book and you lose your scores unless you've got personal records of them. Is there a back-up? Not that I'm aware of. Ask me how I know...

I'm in favor of electronic records and scores. Keep your score cards if needed or buy a book as an opt in. I know it will be an extra 'ask' for match directors to get them submitted electronically, but online is where things are. Classifications, score keeping, match registration, etc. need to have an online option.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

lijeboy wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 pm
It is my understanding that the competitions division intends to move silhouette to electronic reporting in the future. Not sure when, or how, it will happen, but my guess is sooner rather than later.

I didn't know the 'book' system we use was broke. Seems to work just fine every place I go to shoot.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

jbmarshtx wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 am
Also 'younger' member I assume. Lose your book and you lose your scores unless you've got personal records of them. Is there a back-up? Not that I'm aware of. Ask me how I know...
To be an ass.... keep up with your stuff and that is a non-issue... you are saying you effectively want someone to keep up with your stuff for you.... This is a problem in society.... not just silhouette...
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

cedestech wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am To be an ass.... keep up with your stuff and that is a non-issue... you are saying you effectively want someone to keep up with your stuff for you.... This is a problem in society.... not just silhouette...
Why are you arguing with other's opinions? There's no extra credit for each criticism of an opinion that differs from yours. You have made your position abundantly clear.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am
cedestech wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am To be an ass.... keep up with your stuff and that is a non-issue... you are saying you effectively want someone to keep up with your stuff for you.... This is a problem in society.... not just silhouette...
Why are you arguing with other's opinions? There's no extra credit for each criticism of an opinion that differs from yours. You have made your position abundantly clear.
"because I'd rather do it a different way" is not a valid reason to change a system that works. If it hits close to home I apologize but I do not believe I am wrong. BTW I'm Emmett Dibble in Houston.... don't want to be accused of hiding behind a user name.