Just gotta talk to someone

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

Just gotta talk to someone

Post by p14shooter »

So, pleased with myself. I have been shooting more and more steel (SB) just getting a good feel for it and decided to start tracking my progress and setting goals. So I said that I would shoot 40 rounds at a animal until I had enough hits in one session to go to the next class(for me that was a b to an a and yes I know that a class is over all animals, not just one) and got the chicken the other day. So went to the pig the next time and got 19 on the first one. Call it luck but I won't try to repeat, I will just move onto the turkey and and try that for 10yrs before I get 15 and move onto the ram. I am happy anyway. I am only using a Anschutz 180 with a Bushnell 3-9x32 right now.

There is no one here doing any real silhouette so I am doing it for the sheer enjoyment as I doubt I will ever get to a real match like I had hoped and discussed in the past. I am typically and by heart a sporting rifle kinda guy (light rifle I think is close to what you would call it) and ISSF but the interest here is slowly decreasing as it seems all anyone wants to shoot is with a scope off a bi-pod prone. No one wants to put in the time to learn anymore. So I will take my pleasure where I can find it.

Reading the rules (even shooting by myself I like to try to follow rules as close as I can) and reading what people are using here I still can not get a feel for what I should be buying. The scope I have decided on if I can every find it here, but the gun. Ideally I would like to get the 1712 but $$ tell me I may have to settle. I presume that my Walther KKJ could be used for SB as it does not have a tapered barrel but what about SB hunting. Although I have not got my grubby paws on a cz455 I presume this is good for hunting. I have never owned a new gun before and think it is about time but not sure if I want it to be a hunting style or SB. I was even thinking a Anschutz 1903 but that is really not made for the sport. Oh what to do. My decision would be a helluva lot easier if I was around silhouette shooters but I will just have to endure my solitude.

Thanks for listening.

Paul
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Just gotta talk to someone

Post by Ken Green »

Paul: Have you given any thought to getting an air rifle to practice with?
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by p14shooter »

Thought about it. But like the bang and 100m to much.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If you're not going to official matches where they check to make sure your rifle fits within spec then shoot whatever you feel like shooting! Even at most club matches (that I know of) no one will care if your rifle meets spec or not. It's only at the larger state/regional matches that it becomes an issue.

A CZ 455 is a very good rifle to use for silhouette and a great value. The Anschutz 64 series (like the 1903) is as well, but at more than twice the price.

Also, if you're shooting at one animal for 40 shots then might I suggest that you shoot them easiest to hardest. Most folks would agree that Pigs are easiest, followed by Chickens, then Rams, with Turkeys being the hardest. Just a thought.

There are plenty of friendly folks around, both here and other places like Facebook groups. Give a shout when you need to bounce some ideas off of others in the community.

:-c
Allen Corneau
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

KKJ's are certainly classy rifles. All the ones I've seen (a handful) have had tapered barrels. You are referring to a KKJ that is in 22 long rifle? As I think some were made in other calibers (maybe 22 Hornet). I would shoot the Walther KKJ if it's a 22 long rifle---if it won't make hunter class, it should make standard class for sure, if you are really worried about it fitting in a class. I have a Walther UIT that was converted to more of a sporter rifle style and I really like shooting if offhand, although it would never make hunter class (it's too heavy) it is a great rifle, but I'm sure it would make standard class, although I'm not worried about that.
FWIW, I can rarely shoot a match, but I do get in some postal shoots---and I feel the same way as you, I would rather shoot a lighter rifle and shoot it offhand, enjoy it and work toward goals, plus I get to so few matches, complying with the rules is not much of a worry----I worry a lot more about just breaking good shots...
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Any gun can be shoot in regular matches. The only place that checks them is the nationals or if your winning at registered matches. Shoot and have fun. Don't worry about the small stuff.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI PAUL ,

SO you want to train yourself to shoot OFFHAND with a SILHOUETTE type rifle ! ENJOY ...
FIRST of all ...
DECIDE if you want a REPEATER , OR a single loader !

NEXT ...
IF you want a single loader ... HINT , I recommend it ...
GO used ... ANSCHUTZ 54 with a great 2 stage trigger ... YES .
GO with an older 1407 , 1607 , 1807 ...
07 indicates the lighter , 26 inch straight target barrel ...
SIMPLY buy a used silhouette STOCK and put the ANSCHUTZ barreled action into it ...
WORK on that stock to FIT you perfectly !
NOW practice ... IT is not natural and YOU must learn to use your bone structure
I started with a REMINGTON 513T target rifle
NEXT your scope ... get a GOOD quality USED target scope ...
START WITH 10X on up ...
GSL 1(570) 730-3134 Pennsylvania , USA