Big Changes

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Big Changes

Post by Snake »

I just got a letter from the NRA informing me that score books will soon become history and we are all going to online recording of scores and classifications. So the plan is that as a match is completed the match director sends in the results and scores and the NRA then issues current classification cards based on 'current data'. New shooters will get theirs after their first match. However match directors will have to input the current score record book to establish a history. Really? :-o Like that will be a breeze.....and they are serious. I can hardly wait for this to start [-(
Last edited by Snake on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Big Changes

Post by xpilot »

When is this to be effective ?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Woohoo! Finally! That's great! \:D/ :ymapplause:
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

This has been in the works for a while. No surprise as silhouette is the last competition to use score books. I'm curious what the reporting cost will be.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

jbolt wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm This has been in the works for a while. No surprise as silhouette is the last competition to use score books. I'm curious what the reporting cost will be.
That and I wonder how many match directors will say no thank you. That is potentially A LOT of data entry for people who are already busy.

No expert and not clairvoyant but I'll make a prediction....

Half the match directors will not participate and choose to just not register matches.

The NRA, like any other business/large organization allocates resources on the base of statistics/numbers.

Lack of match directors participating equals lack of numbers equals lack of support from the NRA.

Nail, meet coffin.

But hey, got rid of those pesky books....

:ymapplause:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

The letter gave few details or a time frame,,,,,except to say this is going to happen soon. My only concern is the requirement to send in copies of existing score books to establish a history. But I'm sure we'll find out how that's to be done :-?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

There are still huge areas in the rural parts of America that do not have adequate internet service.
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

If the NRA will set this up to allow match directors a portal to add scores themselves, there should be no fees. Hopefully shooters will be able to access their data as well as others for review.
JMHO
Kimbal
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 am
jbolt wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm This has been in the works for a while. No surprise as silhouette is the last competition to use score books. I'm curious what the reporting cost will be.
That and I wonder how many match directors will say no thank you. That is potentially A LOT of data entry for people who are already busy.

No expert and not clairvoyant but I'll make a prediction....

Half the match directors will not participate and choose to just not register matches.

The NRA, like any other business/large organization allocates resources on the base of statistics/numbers.

Lack of match directors participating equals lack of numbers equals lack of support from the NRA.

Nail, meet coffin.

But hey, got rid of those pesky books....

:ymapplause:
I'd rather take the time to enter scores online than fill out books at the end of a match ever again. That's just me though.

Your prediction doesn't seem far fetched to me at all. What they're doing COULD be done well and a real pickmeup to the game, but I don't have high hopes for me to agree with how it's done considering anything else IT-esque the NRA does is total garbage.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

What a lot of people on this forum fail to realize is the people who read/participate or lurk on this forum are a very small but vocal minority of the whole. There are many match directors who will just choose to not register their monthly club matches. In the NRA’s eyes participation will have droped and warrant even less resources than they currently allocate.

But hey, those damn books are gone...

(Insert slow clap here...)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

All the other NRA matches I compete in have lots of paperwork with each competitor and an extra fee tacked onto the match. We have competitors that go to state, regional & national matches so I shall comply with whatever the NRA requires me to do to record scores for classifications.

Whether it's our fault or theirs, the issues the NRA has with getting reimbursed for books goes away. Having to purchase separate books for rifle & pistol silhouette goes away.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

YAY. About time.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I don't think the change is a bad thing but its implementation seems awkward ....but the good news is no more books!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Change is not fun. I never had a problem or issue with the score books. The only sanctioned matches run at our club are NRA silo. IMHSA silo, and Field Target and of course all are not NRA disciplines. All of the other stuff is run as club non-sanctioned because nobody wants to bother with the extra work( some bullseye pistol also may be sanctioned). My other club runs no sanctioned stuff except airgun Field Target, again because of the extra work. We already have precious few willing to run matches and this could only make it worse. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out. We really have no choice!

Rick B.
Richard
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Has anyone received books for 2019 yet? In the past we usually didn't get them until the second or third week in January except for last year where we got them just after Christmas.

Has anyone received any hard documents from the NRA for next year? I usually have the tournament sheets, jury cards etc. by now. The two other match directors I know in my area have not received anything yet either.

I'm still waiting for a response to the claimed missing books we never got.