Big Changes

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Big Changes

Post by cedestech »

Jason wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 am
cedestech wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 am Jason, I have read your novella... here is a link, get some help... I am worried for you.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=snohomish ... =QBRE&sp=2

If you carefully reread your post, you completely Jim Acosta'ed yourself.
Just as earlier in the thread, if you would like to argue, please do so by addressing what I wrote. Personal insults indicate that you can't do so, so you try to change the subject instead. Nice try.
I'm going to try and not reply to this tread anymore. It's clear you can not see the ram line for your focus in on the few blades of grass growing in front of the chickens... do follow the link though. Seriously. Your health insurance should cover a few visits....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

cedestech wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 am I'm going to try and not reply to this tread anymore. It's clear you can not see the ram line for your focus in on the few blades of grass growing in front of the chickens... do follow the link though. Seriously. Your health insurance should cover a few visits....
Please address the topic at hand instead of continuing with personal insults.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It seems to me that some person has been complaining about 'BOOKS' foe several years now but calls out others for complaining. It seems to me this is one disorganized CF and it has been a topic here for several years. You would think the NRA would come up with a good solid 'fix' to the 'book problem' before they stir up the shooters with a bunch of rumors and half thoughts. My apologies to the to the gunny for thinking you were not too well organized. You had your **** together for many years from the mid 80s until you retired.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

You guys are hilarious!

Whether we chiseled our scores on stone tablets or were able to magically think them into the cloud, it has little to no bearing on attracting younger shooters. For most, our sport is difficult to become modestly proficient, which I consider to be a good shooter. Our sport is slow paced. Our sport is repetitious. There is no new technology or innovation to our equipment. All things that I believe most of us who do participate appreciate. That doesn't fit the fast paced, shiny new, instant gratification, hey look at me and my cool stuff firing 3000 rounds per minute the younger generations have become accustom to.

Focusing on attracting younger shooters is a dead end. Oh one will come along now and then and we do everything we can to encourage them and a few stay. I've had more success with the late 30's and beyond demographic who has more time and income and appreciates the challenge of silhouette. How we report scores is inconsequential. If some tweeny or 20 something can't deal with not looking at their scores every five minutes on their phone and posting it to social media while waiting for their turn to shoot, oh wait we don't have free wifi or good cell service at our range, then they are not going to last long anyway.

I was fine with the books. Never thought it was difficult to fill them out as it only took a few minutes.

From the NRA's perspective it makes perfect sense to have all the competitions on similar systems. I don't fault them for that but it is being poorly implemented at the last minute.

I'm sure we will be just fine with the card system and the sun will rise tomorrow. I do believe it will take more time for the MD to report the scores than scribble in books. It will eventually cost more in the long run than the $13 or $26 of the books when the NRA starts charging a fee for each match, if you want your score reported.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I sorta miss the score books already. I guess I am getting a little nostalgic for them. :roll:
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Ok, I've got my popcorn ready, ready...........fire. :ar!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

psteiger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:24 pm Ok, I've got my popcorn ready, ready...........fire. :ar!
:))
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

jbolt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm we chiseled our scores on stone tablets
I like it! Stone tablets all around!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Regarding a comment that our sport is repetitious, slow, etc. Perhaps one should examine bench rest, across the course, PRS, etc. Most shooting sports are repetitious, slow, lack innovation and defy instant gratification. Our sport appealed to hunters....note the targets....the 'new' games like PRS let one pretend he's a sniper...sort of a video game come to life...and its slow and generally repetitious. In this touchy feely world of animal rights a hunt oriented game is probably not what baby will play. As an example note that the boy scouts can't have animal shaped targets along with no longer being 'boy' scouts; I'll bet shooting will soon be gone too. But I digress, I meant to remark that the electronic recording of scores is a great concept but for the Chinese fire drill attempt at implementation.....
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Regarding the comment about silhouette being slow and repetitious, consider this quote by Heraclitus. "No man ever steps through the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man." If you spend enough years in silhouette, you know that no shot you make is exactly the same. You are only as good as the last shot you made for record.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Heraclitus was a wise man. But these days since every shot I take seems to be mysterious I have adopted the philosophy of Alfred E. Newman.."What me Worry?"
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

I have waited for this day to come for so many years. But as usual, the NRA has already dropped the ball. A while back I put a post somewhere about how another shooting sport uses technology to take care of scores, classifications etc.

For our USPSA matches (action pistol type sport for those of you who aren't aware) we use IPads, a tablet or laptop and a smart phone to gather scores, determine standings and winners, upload the scores and pay the "activity" fee to USPSA headquarters. You use the tablet or laptop to gather all the info before the match. You sync that info onto the IPADS that use a scoring system called "Practiscore". As you shoot the match, scores are recorded on the IPADS. When everyone is done shooting, all the scores are then uploaded to the tablet/laptop. Then using the smart phone as a HOTSPOT, scores are posted to Practiscore for all to see. This literally happens while we are breaking down the match and scores are usually posted online before everything is put away in storage. And we're talking way more stuff than is required for silhouette.

There is a master database at HQ, that once everyone has registered for the match, you do a download of each person's classification for the discipline they are shooting so you have the most up to date info for that person. That way nobody can fib as to their actual classification.

As I mentioned above, the scoring system we use is called "Practiscore". It is a free online service. USPSA agreed a few years ago to allow all match results scoring and reporting to use Practiscore. You can also signup/register for matches through Practiscore. The club sets up an account to allow the shooter to pre-register for the match. The competitor puts in all the info such as what gun they wish to shoot, classifications, special categories, aka; Junior, senior, Lady etc,. It could even be setup so that folks could decide which relay and animal they wish to start on. (First come/first serve of course)The match director can pull all this info from Practiscore onto the tablet. When folks show up to the match, they give their name and their money at signup, you go into the tablet, mark them paid and walla, they are ready to go. For those folks that don't pre-register, once they attend a match at your club, Practiscore retains that info so it's easy just to find their name, and plug in the info when they arrive at the match. Just last year, they introduced a phone APP for shooters to keep track of match results, match registrations etc.

Now I know they don't have anything setup for silhouette, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. The issue that I see at least based on past experience, is that I highly doubt the NRA would allow a hookup between them and Practiscore. It's that mentality of "the NRA didn't invent it, we can't use it".

But at the same time, I'm fairly certain there is some tech savvy individual on these forums, could come up with a scoring app that would take away from manual score entry. Folks would punch their scores in on their smart phone, sync them with the tablet, and walla, scores, standings and awards.
Now I know that not everyone is up on Smart Phone technology and some folks have a phobia about Smart Phones, computers etc. But if you could get 80% of you registrations and scores just by syncing info to a tablet, that is a lot of saved effort. Practiscore had actually created their scoring program and match directors were using it way before USPSA blessed it for use, so you don't have to wait for the NRA.

I'm thinking I might reach out the folks at Practiscore to see if they could offer some help.

There's gotta be a better way than spreadsheets because the info still must all be manually entered.

I'm hoping this post provides food for thought.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I sure hope we get there someday, K Danz. It was really nice to have that same Practiscore system at the last Steel Challenge match that I went to.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

cedestech wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 am

No expert and not clairvoyant but I'll make a prediction....

Half the match directors will not participate and choose to just not register matches.

The NRA, like any other business/large organization allocates resources on the base of statistics/numbers.

Lack of match directors participating equals lack of numbers equals lack of support from the NRA.

Nail, meet coffin.

But hey, got rid of those pesky books....

:ymapplause:
Well look at that chit... apparently I AM clairvoyant....

Where is my buddy Jason?

:ymdevil:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

and today I went to a local match, where the match director had made up mini-books to keep track of everyones scores and classification to help him enter the scores in the NRA reporting system. He charged $1 per book and requires you to have one to shoot his match so he can track. So now he has to enter the score in the (his) book and online. How is this better again?????? I am VERY confused AND out of blue corn chips.