His view of Ridgway by Conard Bernhardt

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: His view of Ridgway by Conard Bernhardt

Post by Snake »

I'm sorry but a sweat shirt is hardly excess padding. And I take my vest off between relays, you see the climatic conditions in Missouri in July make any clothing uncomfortable....no matter what i'm not shooting in the buff. In the summertime most everyone in a leather vest is sweating and I suppose one could argue that they are not within the rule as they also are 'stiff' and provide 'support' much more so than the recoil pad on a shotgun vest. I think the intent of the rule was to outlaw the cinched style xtc shooting jacket and glove which are designed for extra support or wearing a parka in August
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Snake, Your interpretation of Rule 3.12 is incorrect. The average citizen in St. Louis just sitting around in the summer heat is not wearing a sweatshirt. Sweatshirts give a unfair advantage by dulling pulse and bunching up padding behind the target-side arm or elbow. The purpose built XTC sweatshirts have extra padding on the target-side arm to prevent cuff sling bite but that also adds extra support between the target-side arm or elbow to improve position.
Keep living in that fantasy world.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Snake would be "correct" at my club. I can only hope as Snake said, the intent of the rule was to outlaw the cinched style xtc shooting jacket and glove. One may want to consider the fine granularity and subjective interpretations to the rules as a possible reason why participation is diminishing. I'm not about to hold such strict standards at my club's matches as to whether you can feel your pulse through a sweatshirt vs. a T-shirt.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I think the view of the shooting sweater I alluded to has been strained. The extra padding and support is illusory and I submit the current ubiquitous leather vest is significantly more supportive, rigid and pulse deadening; if they weren't the old school shotgun vest and sweat shirt would not have all but disappeared. These issues have yet to be raised at the matches I run or the matches I have attended in the last 35 years. Then again there is a protest procedure
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

With this variety of interpretation on Rule 3.12 there should be a definitive clarification of what that rule means. It appears that it can mean different things to different people. Clarification before an issue comes up is always better than the disruption of the protest/jury method on a busy match day. One of the main reasons we switched from prone/position to silhouette was because of the relative comfort of the vest compared to two sweatshirts and that hot stiff coat in summer. Snake, the newest purpose built sweatshirts have a lot more padding on the left arm than the old ones. So much so that people complain about too much padding. The crazy thing is the zipper is on the left side.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Actually the canadian sweater zipped from the ' other side (its canadian !) and there's very little padding on both shoulders. One wouldn't wear it alone,,,its pretty thin. With a shotgun vest it just provided a reduction of slippage or movement of the vest...the leather vest is superior...and if that bothers you then what about big fat recoil pads? And big fat recoil pads on smallbore rifles ....BTW all complaints are always made about those who were winning. I forgot that in 1985 Margarite Everhardt was beating everyone and someone protested at the Nationals that her vest was too tight,,,that was the origin of the rule about the fit of a vest.....her vest was a shotgun vest and she was rather buxom......so should we rule against buxom women or fat guys? They have extra padding...yes? How about a fashion director or measurement of girth at sign in? Let's not get to be rule crazy and suck the life out of the game. Let's attempt to be somewhat practical
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Some body shapes are better for silhouette than others. That is true. My experience is that clearcut, easy to interpret rules encourage people to participate in a sport not discourage them. My observations are that most of the recent nationals champions wear clothing suited to the temperature. In hot weather they are wearing short sleeve shirts.