Proposed Steel Chickens Forum Registration Process

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Proposed Steel Chickens Forum Registration Process

Post by Sporty »

I understand there is a backlog of forum registrations that hasn't been processed. One of the possible reasons is there's an over abundance of spam registrations.

I suggest limiting Steel Chicken registrations to those who have an NRA membership number or competitor number. Since our silhouette scores will be entered into the NRA database, our classifications can be looked up at this page, https://competitor.nra.org/CompetitorCl ... ation.aspx.

All the forum admin needs is to create a new field in the forum registration form asking for a NRA membership number or competitor number. The field can be set so only the admin can see it. This version of phpBB forum software makes that possible. Then all current registration requests will have to be deleted to eliminate the spam requests and the registration list will be started anew.
Last edited by Sporty on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Proposed Steel Chickens Forum Registration Process

Post by BrentD »

At least one game included on this forum is not an NRA game (.22 BPCR) and has their own association. Also, the NRA is typically anything but quick with updating databases, and finally, what about people that are interested, but not yet an NRA member, much less a competitor. I don't support your suggestion, though I understand you want to be helpful. Perhaps some of the approval process could be delegated to a number of other people to spread the load. I'd be happy to assist.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

BrentD wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:58 am At least one game included on this forum is not an NRA game (.22 BPCR) and has their own association. Also, the NRA is typically anything but quick with updating databases, and finally, what about people that are interested, but not yet an NRA member, much less a competitor. I don't support your suggestion, though I understand you want to be helpful. Perhaps some of the approval process could be delegated to a number of other people to spread the load. I'd be happy to assist.
BrentD, for those competitions that are entered into the NRA database, competitors are assigned a number if they do not have an NRA membership number. Interested people can at least read all the posts.

I wonder what percentage of .22 BPCR do not compete in NRA competitions. To break it down even further, what percentage of them that aren't already a member would want to join this forum? My guess it it wouldn't be much of a problem as it already is to be a member of this forum.

How quick is quick? Getting a new registration approved for this forum is not faster.

Offering to help is great BUT what will you do with the thousands of spam registrations waiting to be processed? Trust me, I had to do delete all the spam with taking over my shooting club's forum and have a fresh registration list.

The other option is to open registrations to the public and delete new members that create spam posts that are not germane to this forum. But, they will just register again & again as fast as the admin can delete/ban them. Banning IP address is another administrative option but can be circumvented.

Having a current member sponsor a new member is another way to keep the membership germane.
Last edited by Sporty on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

All reports I've seen concerning registration issues are regarding never receiving the activation key email. I just attempted creating a new username and the creation process involves a CAPTCHA and two factor authentication (the confirmation email). The email was never sent. This is probably an SMTP related issue if I had to bet blindly from this side of things. Two factor authentication and captcha is plenty to address spam registration.

Otherwise, having an admin that is present even somewhat often or regularly would really help. webmaster hasn't been here in 8 days.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Doodaddy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 am All reports I've seen concerning registration issues are regarding never receiving the activation key email. I just attempted creating a new username and the creation process involves a CAPTCHA and two factor authentication (the confirmation email). The email was never sent. This is probably an SMTP related issue if I had to bet blindly from this side of things. Two factor authentication and captcha is plenty to address spam registration.

Otherwise, having an admin that is present even somewhat often or regularly would really help. webmaster hasn't been here in 8 days.
You have a valid point. However, give it some time as the email may take a while. If that's all it is than anyone can register on this forum who has entered a valid email address and can read CAPTCHA. At least, everyone can read all the posts without being a member.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Allow me to pitch a curved ball in here regarding the necessity to have an NRA membership number.
The Metallic Silhouette shooting sports are enjoyed by a world-wide fraternity. Most use rules that either are, or are based closely on, the NRA Rules. The "parent body" if you will.
Some might even aspire to take the opportunity to visit the U.S. of A. and compete at the "home ground"? Would you deny those folk the use of this very forum which is so useful with its sources of information related to our sporting fraternity? Rules, interpretation of, changes, load data and suggestions, and so it goes on.
Surely there are better ways to deny the spammers access with something like 2 factor authentication (CAPTCHA ?).
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If anyone wants to visit the home of Silhouette they will go to Mexico. They were shooting metallic silhouette for 20+ years before it came to the USA.

If you've checked out their big matches you can see those guys really have it going on. I hope to make it down there some day. :ymdaydream:

I also agree that NRA membership should not be a requirement to be part of the discussion of this great sport. There are other ways to keep out the riff-raff that don't exclude people that may have a genuine interest in the sport.
Allen Corneau
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Y'all have valid points. I wouldn't want to deny anyone without a NRA competitor number/membership number the privilege to partake in these discussions.

How can the forum registration process get fixed?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Sporty wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 am Y'all have valid points. I wouldn't want to deny anyone without a NRA competitor number/membership number the privilege to partake in these discussions.

How can the forum registration process get fixed?
I'll make one suggestion and you can tell me what's wrong with it.

This site is not getting even dozens of legitimate registration requests per day. So I would simply up a note telling a newcomer to send me an email at XYZ address and then add that person manually. I would be happy to do that, though I would have to have some sort of special privileges to do so.
Abandon the automated login completely.

Just a thought.