Logistics for Ridgway

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Logistics for Ridgway

Post by acorneau »

I dropped my registration for Nationals in the mailbox yesterday so now it's time to start working out the logistics...

1. Which is the best city to fly into? Pittsburg, Cleveland, and maybe Buffalo all look to be geographically equidistant. Which airport will offer the best option? Add in car rental availability to the equation.

2. Where to stay? Pinky already made the recommendation for the Royal Inn. Any other options to consider?

3. Dinner/food options? Where does everybody go for dinner? Are there food options at the range for lunches or do I need to bring something?

4. The clinic between SB and HP, is it worth it? I don't shoot HP and will only be staying for the SB. Is the clinic worth the extra time and expense (hotel, car rental, meals, etc) of staying an extra day to attend the clinic or is it just something nice to do on the day off between SB and HP?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's a good start for the moment.
Allen Corneau
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Logistics for Ridgway

Post by psteiger »

1. Which is the best city to fly into? Pittsburg, Cleveland, and maybe Buffalo all look to be geographically equidistant. Which airport will offer the best option? Add in car rental availability to the equation.

Buffalo. Southwest Airlines. Less traffic.

2. Where to stay? Pinky already made the recommendation for the Royal Inn. Any other options to consider?

Get as close as you can as cheap as you can. Not much available

3. Dinner/food options? Where does everybody go for dinner? Are there food options at the range for lunches or do I need to bring something?

Always bring food and drink to the range.

4. The clinic between SB and HP, is it worth it? I don't shoot HP and will only be staying for the SB. Is the clinic worth the extra time and expense (hotel, car rental, meals, etc) of staying an extra day to attend the clinic or is it just something nice to do on the day off between SB and HP

Yes. Instruction from National Champions and thier coaches, always puts a couple tricks up your sleeve.

?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Any of the airports you mentioned will be good but Buffalo is the closest (about 2hrs 30 min) from Ridgway.

Lodging, The Royal Inn is 10 min from the range with a great restaurant. St.Marys is about 30 min from the range with larger chain hotels.

Lunch, Royal Inn will be on site for lunch purchase on all days of the match’s.

Clinic, Cathy pick’s a group of shooters to help out with the clinic. They all do a great job to help out others.

There will be 2 meals (1 during sb and 1 during hp) free of charge to the and most years Jerry does his Jumbulia for you veryone to enjoy.

If you have any questions PM me you phone # and i will call you.
Mike Haynes MD
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

acorneau,
Here's my experiences from Ridgway over the years.
Motels:
$$ The Royal Inn Rt#219 Ridgway, PA
http://royalinnpa.com/ 814-773-3153
$$$ Gunners Inn & Spa St. Marys, PA
http://gunnerspa.com/ 814-834-2161
$$$$ Best Western St.Marys, PA
$$$$ Comfort Inn St. Marys, PA
Food:
Joe's Bakery Ridgway, PA (breakfast)
Sheetz Gas Station Ridgway, PA (breakfast sandwiches)
Jordan's Bar & Grill Ridgway, PA (breakfast/lunch)
Aiello's Restaurant Ridgway, PA (dinner)
Fox's Pizza Den Ridgway, PA (lunch/dinner)
Subway Ridgway, PA (sandwiches)
Royal Inn Restaurant Ridgway, PA (full dinner menu)
Hoss's Family Restaurant St Marys, PA (lunch/dinner)
First Chance Inn Kersey, PA ( Friday fish fry)
NOTE: St Marys, PA is a much bigger town than Ridgway, PA and has a much larger variety of restaurants, major chains and a Walmart.
There will be lunch brought in for purchase everyday of the Nationals when there's a match
There is a free dinner at the club one day each for the SB & HP matches (date TBA)
GAS:
Sheetz - Ridgway, PA
Quick Fill - Ridgway, PA

Parking/Comfort:
Both the SB & HP ranges have huge parking lots and ample bathroom facilities
There are covered firing lines on both ranges and sufficient off line covering

PPKNY
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

For those traveling with family that may not shoot.
Canoe and kayak rentals downtown Ridgway on the beautiful Clarion River.
A bike hike trail there also.
Elk viewing is nearby by vehicle
Nearby Kane,PA has a park and old railroad viaduct that’s very unique
Also in Kane is Bells market,this place has specialty homemade sausages,cheeses,custom cut steaks,and homemade
Turducken type items for the grill,trail baloney,and more.
This area is in the Allegheny National Forest What was once a logged over area that was primary source of hemlock tanbark used for tanning hides some of which was used on buffalo hides.This logging is historical in its use of rivers and railroads,then there cane oil and gas.
Just thought this may be of interest.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I have never been to Ridgeway so this is an educational thread.

Thank you for starting it.

Have you considered buying an RV trailer, driving out there and staying at a KOA?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm Have you considered buying an RV trailer, driving out there and staying at a KOA?
Uh... no.

If I fly there the day before the practice match and fly back the day after the clinic that's seven days away from home/work. If I drove (car or RV) I would be adding four to six more days to the trip (2-3 each way). That's 11 to 13 days away... not going to happen.

:-q
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

David's suggestion reminds me of this:
Around 1990 we were at a big dirt track kart race in Guin, Alabama. That track was manicured and as smooth as glass. We had practice on Friday and stayed at the closest, cheapest fleabag motel we could find Friday night. We showed up at the track bright and early Saturday morning to discover "Big" Chisolm had parked next to us in the pits. He was way over 300 pounds, drove a tiny two door import truck with the kart, engines and tools in the bed. The 9 year old son who drove rode in the passenger seat. He smelled bad too but we were friends because we grew up in the same town. It had rained tremendously with thunder and lightning all night. I asked him where they stayed last night. He pointed to the ground and said "right there. I have a blue wal-mart tarp, spread it out, grabbed the corner of it, rolled up in it and went to sleep. Slept good too with that rain." I asked him where his son slept. He said he did not know but he probably slept in the truck. He said he had no money for a room because he had to spend all the money on kart tires. Then I noticed the ground he pointed to had like an island the shape of his body and erosion like two small rivers had formed around him during the night. They were fast. Only a kid with unlimited funds who is now driving in nascar could beat them. Short story. You could drive and roll up in a cheap tarp by the firing line. That would save money.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm
DavidABQ wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm Have you considered buying an RV trailer, driving out there and staying at a KOA?
Uh... no.

If I fly there the day before the practice match and fly back the day after the clinic that's seven days away from home/work. If I drove (car or RV) I would be adding four to six more days to the trip (2-3 each way). That's 11 to 13 days away... not going to happen.

:-q
I was thinking that the small pop-up camper/RV trailer is not too expernsive, especially if you rent one.

It was just a thought, I am sorry if I angered you in anyway.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 pm I was thinking that the small pop-up camper/RV trailer is not too expernsive, especially if you rent one.
Right now I have a bit more money than time, so flying to get there and back in a shorter amount of time is where my priorities lie. When I retire (in 20+ years) I'll have more time than money.
It was just a thought, I am sorry if I angered you in anyway.
No, you didn't anger me in any way. Sorry if my reply came off that way.

As the young folks say, "It's all good." :-bd
Allen Corneau
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Ive tried for years to irritate mr corneau. Im not saying its impossible, but if i cant do it, you amatures arent even close. =))
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

psteiger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am Ive tried for years to irritate mr corneau. Im not saying its impossible, but if i cant do it, you amatures arent even close. =))
:))
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

psteiger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am Ive tried for years to irritate mr corneau. Im not saying its impossible, but if i cant do it, you amatures arent even close. =))
I wouldn't go so far as to call myself unflappable but I've managed to put up with Pat for five years now so I guess I can keep it together most of the time.

%-(
Allen Corneau
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

acorneau, the times Agustin Sanchez and I went to Ridgway we stayed in people's homes. The first time we rented a hunting cabin and three other times we stayed with a family at a farm in Kersey, PA real close to Ridway. We were treated like family and it was much better than staying at a hotel. You may want to check with the local shooters if you want to know if anybody is offering a room for rent at their home for the week of the tournament.
Tony Tello
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Ridgway club does allow camping but there are no hook ups. There is a shower thou at the main club house and The parking area is wide and flat.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member