Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

Post by Boyd L. »

dustinflint wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 pm ...We live in a "call out culture" where people are much more comfortable writing things online that they would not say in person and probably don't feel quite as strongly about as they do at the moment that it is written.
I wish this forum had a like button. Well said.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Nobody is going to "kill" silhouette. If the NRA ever drops the silhouette "ball", there are enough dedicated people that will step up to make silhouette happen under a new organization. Silhouette is never going to die. Even if a overall sanctioning body does not exist, many of us have targets, many of us have land to shoot on, many of us have firing line covers, pole barns or pop-up canopies or are members of clubs that have these assets. What is to prevent us if there is no sanctioning body to just pick a match date, send out e-mails announcing the match, announce the match on steelchickens, collect the entry fees, buy the awards, solicit vendors for prizes, run the match and live happily ever after?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Sorry I've been a sleep, too much chips and salsa, just read this whole thread, Wow :-o

In regards to the rear sight lens, I'm opposed to the change, I think the rear lens should be allowed, as it doesn't produce a magnified effect or advantage to the shooter. It just allows the shooter to see more like a younger shooter. The front lens, I agree shouldn't be allowed, because it, with a rear lens, could produce a magnified scope effect.

I personally don't use a rear lens, nor do I intended to any time in the future. If someone could help me with my astigmatism, that would be great!

I do know that if this rule is enforced at the nationals, I personally know of a number of shooters who will not be able to attend the nationals. As well as state and regional matches that will enforce this rule.

It all seems a little silly, this rule change has not only increased the chance of losing more shooters in the near term, but it also looks like people are trying to create a whole new class of scoped lever rifle to replace them.

Seems like IHMSA all over again too, Our club lost the NRA Handgun Silhouette Nationals that we hosted for many many years, over this same issue. Most of you know were that sport is now, just a footnote in silhouette history. We had as many as 800 shooters at a Nationals way back in the day (I've been told).

To me, it seems to be simpler to just let the lens use in the rear sight back into the game. If glasses at the store or eye doctor helps them, great. If glasses in the rear sight helps them, also great, same effect. People can now see the "Big" targets again without magnification, and we can all go back to shooting like before... the simple game of lever action rifle that was started to let the average person with a old lever action rifle at home gathering dust to come out and shoot and have fun.

Just saying, Dennis Ostler

Where did I put my chips?
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

by atomicbrh

Nobody is going to "kill" silhouette. If the NRA ever drops the silhouette "ball", there are enough dedicated people that will step up to make silhouette happen under a new organization. Silhouette is never going to die. Even if a overall sanctioning body does not exist, many of us have targets, many of us have land to shoot on, many of us have firing line covers, pole barns or pop-up canopies or are members of clubs that have these assets. What is to prevent us if there is no sanctioning body to just pick a match date, send out e-mails announcing the match, announce the match on steelchickens, collect the entry fees, buy the awards, solicit vendors for prizes, run the match and live happily ever after?

That is exactly what happened in Canada. The shooting federation would not support them so they brok away and formed their own organazation. There has been talk here in the states for us to do that for at least 20 years now.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Our own apathy and in fighting killed handgun silhouette and IHMSA didn’t save it. It is dying as well, going down the equipment race hole that restrictions and rule fighting and extra catagories and super tricked out guns live. Only place its alive is in the memories of old shooters.

Silhouette is dying and lever action is its last gasp of air. We aren’t attracting new shooters, we are just recycling old shooters.

Keep it simple and fun and attract new people.

Dennis
The Bug Father
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

dwostler wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 pm Our own apathy and in fighting killed handgun silhouette and IHMSA didn’t save it. It is dying as well, going down the equipment race hole that restrictions and rule fighting and extra catagories and super tricked out guns live. Only place its alive is in the memories of old shooters.

Silhouette is dying and lever action is its last gasp of air. We aren’t attracting new shooters, we are just recycling old shooters.

Dennis
What he said!

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

snaketail2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:21 am
dwostler wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 pm Our own apathy and in fighting killed handgun silhouette and IHMSA didn’t save it. It is dying as well, going down the equipment race hole that restrictions and rule fighting and extra catagories and super tricked out guns live. Only place its alive is in the memories of old shooters.

Dennis
What he said!

Michael
Yes, and said very well.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Our clubs in The Carolinas are doing fine. My club's April 6th smallbore and hunting rifle silhouette matches had seven unclassified shooters and twenty-four in all. 4-H nearly doubled the participation. The new shooters weren't aware of rule changes so they had nothing to complain about. Us older shooters didn't give the new shooters any reason to complain.

4/13/19 EDIT: The Asheville club had three unclassified shooters for their April shoot. Two were from out of state.
Last edited by Sporty on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:02 am Our clubs in The Carolinas are doing fine. My club's April 6th smallbore and hunting rifle silhouette matches had seven unclassified shooters and twenty-four in all. 4-H nearly doubled the participation. The new shooters weren't aware of rule changes so they had nothing to complain about. Us older shooters didn't give the new shooters any reason to complain.
As it should be... if you encourage them the funny thing is some will actually keep coming back.... :D Congratulations on a new crop!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Charlie, that sounds fantastic!

Spread the word and share anything you know, so the other match directors can learn from your success!

Jeanne Ring, do you mind if I email you?

Thanks, Dennis Ostler
Last edited by TheBugFather on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bug Father
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Of course I dont mind, Dennis.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.