Shooting in the wind...

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Shooting in the wind...

Post by cedestech »

To change the topic from the cranky that has been going around the last few months....

I was trying to practice a bit in stupid wind yesterday with a too light of a rifle and it was incredibly annoying. What are some of ya'lls ways of dealing with wind? We know if tends to effect us way more then the ammo (smallbore and air rifle being the exception).

Some shooters (me) have a really hard time with it and some people seem to be barely effected.

I try to pay particular attention to stance (natural point of aim) and having a clock so I can try to wait out the larger gusts.

Best piece of advise I have ever received is to be pro-active on the trigger. When correct sight picture presents itself take the shot, don't be screwing around.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Shooting in the wind...

Post by Ojaileveraction »

Don't Fear the wind. Practice in the wind. I know the wind will come up by 10:30 every morning. I get any sighting in done before then practice, practice, practice.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'm still very much learning how to deal with the wind. Sometimes I'm on and sometimes it just baffles me.

Things I've learned so far...

- Learn to be patient when a gust of wind comes up. It's usually gone in 15 to 30 seconds and I can usually spare that time.
- During practice try to determine the baseline wind, adjust that into your scope (if applicable) and hold over the rest.
- Practice making the correlation between the angle of the wind flags and the amount of hold-off needed. (I'm still not very good at this part.)

Probably the best thing you can do is practice with your air rifles. Oh, wait...

Chris Cawthorne is really good at reading the wind and adjusting the right amount. Next time you see him get his take on it.
Allen Corneau
RickF
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickF »

I find I have to be very careful if practising in the wind. It is a short slippery step from being reactive on the trigger when the wind is right, to getting stabby on the trigger.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Shoot rams off the bench in the wind and learn how it affects your buller. Shooting offhand in the wind teaches you bad habbits.
RickF
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickF »

Jerry G wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 pm Shoot rams off the bench in the wind and learn how it affects your buller. Shooting offhand in the wind teaches you bad habbits.
Two thumbs up!