Silhouette in Alabama?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Silhouette in Alabama?

Post by cedestech »

Please tell me the map is wrong and there are at least a couple places.... CLA and smallbore....

:-\
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Silhouette in Alabama?

Post by Pagunner »

Pascagoula Mississippi is the closest I know of. It is an unsanctioned match. pascagoulashootingclub.com
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Silhouette died in Alabama in June 2019. The match director sent out an email stating that fact and cancel all matches.

Brocks Gap Training Center in Hoover Alabama cancel all matches (smallbore and pistol cartridge levergun) this month for the rest of the year. They also cancel hunter pistol and smallbore hunter pistol the first of this year. The only thing they have is black powder silhouette once a month.

Jackson TN has smallbore scope and levergun once a month. That is all in Tennessee. Tennessee had a great program at Chattanooga but the club leaders pulled the plug on a program that had 25 plus a month.

Georgia has around 5 clubs shooting smallbore scope. Out of the five clubs they also do: One club has smallbore & pistol cartridge levergun. One club has high power scope and black powder silhouette. I think one other club has smallbore lever.

There is no CLA in this area except in middle Florida. I have to travel to Ridway or Dustin's LA State match to shoot CLA. Hoping to make the match when they start back in October
Last edited by frankmako on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Glenn and Patsy Hughes were the driving force behind scoped smallbore silhouette in the Central Alabama area. They put on great matches and were super people. They got to the age where they could not hold matches any longer. When Julie retires, we plan on moving to North Walton or North Holmes county, Florida almost on the Alabama state line. We will hold matches there if we are in good enough shape.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Emmett, Where in Alabama are you potentially moving to?
There are areas in that state where you can own enough property to form your own club and host matches. Dirt, concrete and firing line cover can be done at a reasonable cost on a small scale.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Have a possible job opportunity in Vance... it's in the middle of nowhere but if you know what the big industry is there and what I do you know why I'd entertain the thought....

No silhouette is a problem though.... :(
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

It is 3 hours and 10 minutes to Vance for us if we do not stop for anything.
That area is a dead zone for any kind of silhouette.
The people there will shoot USPSA, steel challenge and maybe a little F class.
The CMP range at Talledega will be receptive to you trying to start Silhouette there but the entry fees would probably be megabucks. I stopped by there to talk with a vendor last year. When the employees at the desk found out I ran Silhouette matches, they were all over me to start it there. I am too far away from that range and all the ranges face east or west. I do not want to go blind shooting into the sun.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Vance is about one hour from hoover (brock's gap). They got everything you need to shoot silhouette from smallbore to high power in all rifles and pistols. They got in ground rails and real berms. Cover firing lines the whole ball of wax. But they need match directors to run the matches. Directors that want to grow the sport. Match director that will put a little work into the match and range.

I was driving 6/7 hours round trip for the matches before the match director cancel the year. There are many tri-state shooters that wanted to shoot there, but you never know if a match was going to happen until you got there. For most of us it is hard to waste 14 hours, two tanks of gas and not shoot a match.

There is a second club in the area that shot scope smallbore several years ago. They also are in need for a match director.

The big problem in this area is getting someone to run the matches. There are lots of places to shoot that has the targets/ranges, but no one to run the matches.

I heard that they are/were building a new gun club somewhere close to vance. I don't have any details about it. But I heard this three years ago and have not seen or heard anything else. So it might not be true.
Last edited by frankmako on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I was just PM'd with the same that has been said... No silhouette but it's a build it and they may come type situation... I run a match in Houston and worse case that is a possibility there too.... we'll see. There are a lot of cons but no silhouette is definitely one.... :(
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

frankmako wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 am
The big problem in this area is getting someone to run the matches. There are lots of places to shoot that has the targets/ranges, but no one to run the matches.

That sucks. Everyone wants to eat, no one wants to cook... :ymtongue:
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

you got that right. no help. i help some at a lever action match in north georgia each month. it takes me 2 1/2 hours one way to get to the match on a good day. any problems on the road can prevent me from making the match. it works out the best if the match dirictor is local and not driving several hours to the match.

what i have seen at the several clubs i shoot at is that there is all the help you need setting up/breaking down, but finding a local match director is hard.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Frank, Is the Brock' s Gap range in Hoover that you referred to the one that has the narrow but nice asphalt driveway built on the civil war era railroad cut through the mountains? I made the statement to Glenn one time that it must have cost a fortune for the club to make those cuts through solid rock. He laughed and said they just utilized what a pre-civil war railroad company had achieved. That range is a hidden gem.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

frankmako wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am
what i have seen at the several clubs i shoot at is that there is all the help you need setting up/breaking down, but finding a local match director is hard.
I am blessed I suppose. The 3 main clubs/matches I shoot at have several people who would step up if needed and regularly do. The Houston/south-central Texas area is lucky we can have club matches all year round and generally do.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am Frank, Is the Brock' s Gap range in Hoover that you referred to the one that has the narrow but nice asphalt driveway built on the civil war era railroad cut through the mountains? I made the statement to Glenn one time that it must have cost a fortune for the club to make those cuts through solid rock. He laughed and said they just utilized what a pre-civil war railroad company had achieved. That range is a hidden gem.
yes it is. a small one way road that is used as a two way road all day long. if you meet someone, somebody is backing up to find the very few places that you can inch over so two vehicles can pass. brock's gap has everything you need for silhouette except a local match director. one of the best ranges in the area. but it has the same problems as most ranges in the four state area, $550k to $1m houses all away around the range.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I seem to recall that there used to be HP silhouette a while back at Red Stone or Nuntsville? What happened to that? I'm sure its been a long while back.