Any rule changes ?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Any rule changes ?

Post by Sporty »

DavidABQ, this says a lot, don't you think? "Ridgway is perfectly content with the alternating format." - hermit5.

It would seem a suggestion to have it there each year would not be in the best interest of Ridgway.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

If Ridgway is not interested in hosting it the perhaps the Nationals should be moved to another permanent location?

Other NRA National Championships are held at a single location and I cannot see why the discussion to do the same with the SB and HP Nationals shouldn’t be held?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:26 am If Ridgway is not interested in hosting it the perhaps the Nationals should be moved to another permanent location?
Who said they weren't interested in hosting Nationals?!?

I didn't get to go to the Nationals at Raton last year but I'll definitely be going next year. I've heard lots of stories about how the match is managed there but I will reserve any judgement until I experience it myself. I can, however, speak to the excellent hospitality by the Ridgway team.

They put on a great match, better than any I have ever been to, and Ken Haupricht told me several times that they've been trying to get the Lever-action Nationals up there (at least on an alternating schedule like SB/HP) but the NRA won't do it. I'm sure if the NRA did let Ridgway do them they would do a superb job.
Allen Corneau
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Is it the "location" or is it the the match director that doesn't want to have to do it each year?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Ridgway has huge participation at their approved levergun matches. So many shooters that they have target setters for their monthly matches. Look at the Ridgway facebook page for the actual numbers.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I just want to assure everyone that we (Ridgway Rifle Club) do want the Nationals but on a rotating basis. We have a great staff as well as community support. But it is just to much to do it every year. If we could rotate sb/hp one year and LAR the next we would be very happy and would be able to put on good well run matches as we would have different staff for SB/HP than we would for LAR. Mike Haynes
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

44 mag wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 am I just want to assure everyone that we (Ridgway Rifle Club) do want the Nationals but on a rotating basis. We have a great staff as well as community support. But it is just to much to do it every year. If we could rotate sb/hp one year and LAR the next we would be very happy and would be able to put on good well run matches as we would have different staff for SB/HP than we would for LAR. Mike Haynes
As we all should appreciate. Thank you!
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

44 mag wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 am I just want to assure everyone that we (Ridgway Rifle Club) do want the Nationals but on a rotating basis. We have a great staff as well as community support. But it is just to much to do it every year. If we could rotate sb/hp one year and LAR the next we would be very happy and would be able to put on good well run matches as we would have different staff for SB/HP than we would for LAR. Mike Haynes
To be clear; I was referring to hosting the Nationals on an annual basis at a permanent location.

It was originally a question to see if there was any support to host the nationals at a single location every year as some other NRA national competitions have done for decades.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave maybe you should look at how many people shoot XTC compared to silhouette. As far as the nationals being any other places beside Ridgway or Raton I will always go to Ridgway. Raton is way to far to go. 4 day trip one way for me. I'm not spending 8 days of vacation time driving.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:15 pm... Raton is way to far to go. 4 day trip one way for me. I'm not spending 8 days of vacation time driving.
A flight will get you there in about three hours.

Just sayin'... :-??
Allen Corneau
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

In Mexico, the winning club also wins the rights to host the next years nationals.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Al, that works if you only fly with two guns.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 am Al, that works if you only fly with two guns.
......and less than 300 lbs of ammunition.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

You can ship firearms to yourself if you feel the need to. Also the same with ammunition.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Just trying to be a little humorous.

I drive between 2 and 2.5hrs to the "local" monthly matches. I drive over 7hrs to Ridgway for the regional match.
With that much distance and time invested I try to show up prepared. A spare rifle for every match rifle and a lot of ammunition.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore