Rules Changes?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Rules Changes?

Post by TheBugFather »

Any word on rules changes or if the committee "heard" from the shooters?

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Rules Changes?

Post by TheBugFather »

from the response, I would guess no.

Dennis
The Bug Father
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Dennis, I heard from a reliable source, a silhouette committee member who was at the meeting, that apertures were formally approved for the front sight. Also, lens in the rear sights were approved. These modifications are supposed to be included in the written rules next year.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

JohnHenry wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm Dennis, I heard from a reliable source, a silhouette committee member who was at the meeting, that apertures were formally approved for the front sight. Also, lens in the rear sights were approved. These modifications are supposed to be included in the written rules next year.
JH, that's good news.

But, I have to wonder at how it has taken so long to be included in the rule-book?
On Nov 14th of 2017, I down-loaded and saved a copy of the attached document from the NRA web-site that includes the Rule-Books and Updates here: - https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/
2017 Cowboy Lever Action rule change - front aperture sight.pdf
The properties of that document show that it was created on Feb 5th 2017 by (presumably a staffer) Beth Epley. Take a look for yourself.
How has it come to pass that an approved change has not been included in subsequent reprints of the book?
And worse, why are Updates deleted from the web-site list prior to them being included in the official print form?

Unless I'm mistaken (it has been known :)) ) that rule change has been effective since the time it was posted. There is no wording to the effect that it can not be invoked, until a specified date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks Jim for the update!

Though neither change effects me personally, I can understand the difficulty for others.

I appreciate the work of the committee, I too have been on a few. Sometimes people on committees feel the need to show action, but sometimes, no action is the action, if things are already going well.

Dennis
The Bug Father
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

No1_49er wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am
JohnHenry wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm Dennis, I heard from a reliable source, a silhouette committee member who was at the meeting, that apertures were formally approved for the front sight. Also, lens in the rear sights were approved. These modifications are supposed to be included in the written rules next year.
JH, that's good news.

But, I have to wonder at how it has taken so long to be included in the rule-book?
On Nov 14th of 2017, I down-loaded and saved a copy of the attached document from the NRA web-site that includes the Rule-Books and Updates here: - https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/

The properties of that document show that it was created on Feb 5th 2017 by (presumably a staffer) Beth Epley. Take a look for yourself.
How has it come to pass that an approved change has not been included in subsequent reprints of the book?
And worse, why are Updates deleted from the web-site list prior to them being included in the official print form?

Unless I'm mistaken (it has been known :)) ) that rule change has been effective since the time it was posted. There is no wording to the effect that it can not be invoked, until a specified date.
Further to my post, for which my interpretation has not been challenged, I've revisited the results for the 2018 Lever Action Nationals (the year after the rule change) and aperture sights were stated as being used in L.A.S. 14, P.C. 18, and Smallbore 16.
Now, either they have already been approved as the attached document suggests, or ALL of those 2018 shooters using apertures were using non-approved equipment.
The fact that the rule change has not, for whatever reason, been included in subsequent reprints cannot negate the 2017 Rule Change that was posted on the NRA web-site.
Which of you would like to enter the fray and either validate my interpretation, or, declare the results invalid.
Remember Lance Armstrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

A copy of the revised 2018 rulebook was given to every competitor at the Nationals in 2018. In it, was a loose slip of paper with the 2017 rule change for 3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle that you are referring to. We ran the match and scrutineered rifles, by that rule change. Why it was a topic for the committee to "ratify" this year and wasn't included in the reprint last year, I have no idea, I'm just a volunteer. :-\
Taps
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Thanks 'taps'.
I had suspected that to be the case, but even now, the 2019 Rule Book available on the NRA web-site STILL does not have that change within it.
Is it any wonder that some people are still referring to "awaiting approval" before incorporation in the manual.
Seems like the publications department has failed for three successive years. Doesn't instil a lot of confidence in their abilities.