2020 Coop Shoot

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

2020 Coop Shoot

Post by Doodaddy »

February 22-23, 2020, the 2020 Louisiana Indoor Air Rifle Silhouette Regional will be hosted at Team Hatch Shooting Facility in Jonesboro, LA.

We're excited to announce the 2020 Chicken Coop Shoot! We've been very pleased with how the previous matches have gone and are hoping to continue improving. It’s a great time for fellowship and weather free shooting!

The Jimmie Davis State Park incurred extensive tornado damage earlier this year. I called moments before posting this inquiring about the status of the cabins. As of right now, they have no functioning cabins. They would not give an anticipated date about having them repaired, but they had previously hoped to have four functioning before Thanksgiving though that did not happen. That leads me to believe they may have some available by February, but that's just a guess of mine. I would anticipate registering with them pretty close to the match date or booking elsewhere. Or I bet they have camp sites available if you're into that sort of thing.

Any and all suggestions are welcome so please do not hesitate to provide feedback. We want this to be a community loved event. There are pictures of the range and previous matches at the website: http://www.teamhatchshootingfacility.com/gallery/.

Just like previous years, for those that do not attend the match I will be providing real time results on the range's site.

A two day tournament (NRA Registered event) with an 60 shot match for each rifle. Target and Open will be shot Saturday February 22 with Sporter on Sunday February 23. Practice will be available Friday evening February 21. Resettable targets will be utilized for this tournament. Lunch will be served on Saturday and Sunday.

Entry fees will be $25 for the first rifle, $25 for the second, & $15 for the third rifle.

Registration can be sent to:

Danny Hatch
365 Swanner Watts rd
Jonesboro, LA 71251

Please see the attached file for the registration form.

Online payment can be sent via Paypal (friends and family method) to garinhatch@gmail.com or to $GarinHatch on Square Cash or to @GarinHatch on Venmo. Please email your registration to garinhatch@gmail.com.

The range is sort of remotely located, but it is central to Little Rock to Baton Rouge and Dallas to Jackson. Just south of I-20. ~30 miles from Ruston, LA & ~37 miles from West Monroe, LA.

The address keeps wandering around on Google Maps so here are the coordinates: 32°15'41.7"N 92°35'26.9"W

Google Map Link to the range.

For lodging, I believe that the Jimmie Davis State Park is probably the best option. It's located very near the range (5-8 miles) and is on Caney Lake. The park offers a variety of lodging options (Deluxe Cabins, Deluxe Lodges, and Traditional Camp sites.) Deluxe Cabins sleep up to 8 people with 1 queen bed, 2 bunk beds and 1 queen sofa sleeper and the Deluxe Lodges sleep up to 14 people with 2 double beds, 4 bunk beds and 1 queen sofa sleeper. This has been spoken very highly of from several shooters. If some coordination can be made between a group of shooters, lodging can be very inexpensive.

Park site:
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-st ... tate-park/

Floor Plan and images:
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-st ... mmodations

Standard hotel options are below.
Jonesboro, LA Sleep Inn:
https://www.choicehotels.com/louisiana/ ... tels/la279

Ruston, LA Lodging:
http://hotelguides.com/louisiana/ruston-la-hotels.html

West Monroe, LA Lodging:
http://hotelguides.com/louisiana/west-m ... otels.html

Questions, concerns, comments, ideas, suggestions all can be sent to me here, RFC, or email: garinhatch@gmail.com or my cell at 318-237-6353. Please contact me or see http://www.teamhatchshootingfacility.com for anything you may need.

Louisiana Indoor Air Rifle Silhouette Regional PROGRAM.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: 2020 Coop Shoot

Post by dustinflint »

Can't wait!!!

Dustin
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

dustinflint wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 pm Can't wait!!!

Dustin
I can't wait MORE!!! Registration and match fees already sent! :D

Sure hope they get the big cabins rebuilt/repaired by then. Love hanging with the gang and sharing dinner after the match. It's like a big slumber party with my silhouette friends!
Allen Corneau
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

acorneau wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Dustin

Sure hope they get the big cabins rebuilt/repaired by then. Love hanging with the gang and sharing dinner after the match. It's like a big slumber party with my silhouette friends!
Love you Allen but your cornbread ain't quite done in the middle....

=))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Would it be difficult to get a Competitor Equipment Report by Rifle Type (Target, Sporter & Open)?

I'm getting more interest in Air Rifle Silhouette, but I'm still a "low information" Air Rifle Shooter! lol
I'm guessing it might help some other folks as well!

I'd love to go, but will have to see what work and health demands are placed on me in the near-term!
Nothing serious (on the health side of things) just things that might take me out of the game for a short while during recovery.

Thanks for considering it!
ShootingStar
aka Greg Chandler
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am
acorneau wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Dustin

Love you Allen but your cornbread ain't quite done in the middle....

=))
I'm sure if you get there first you'd get to be the big spoon. Image
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

ShootingStar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 am Would it be difficult to get a Competitor Equipment Report by Rifle Type (Target, Sporter & Open)?

I'm getting more interest in Air Rifle Silhouette, but I'm still a "low information" Air Rifle Shooter! lol

I'd love to go, but will have to see what work and health demands are placed on me in the near-term!
Nothing serious (on the health side of things) just things that might take me out of the game for a short while during recovery.

Thanks for considering it!
ShootingStar
aka Greg Chandler
I've not taken equipment surveys in the past, but I'm sure plenty of people are willing to share what equipment they use here online. I would if I owned any lol. I can tell you for sure there is no shortage of Anschutz, Air Arms, Walther, and Steyr variations though. There are of course a multitude of other options.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

ShootingStar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 am Would it be difficult to get a Competitor Equipment Report by Rifle Type (Target, Sporter & Open)?

Greg,

This is the information that I would give to a shooter thinking about air rifle silhouette and getting equipment:

Rifles to consider:

SPORTER:

1. Air Arms TX200,
2. Weihrauch HW 97
3. Beeman r7 or r9 breakbarrels

There are others that will work very well, but these are tried and true and it's hard to go wrong with these.

TARGET:

Any 10-meter air rifle made by:
1. Anschutz
2. Walther
3. Feinwerkbau
4. Steyr

There are others that will work very well, but these are tried and true and it's hard to go wrong with these.

OPEN:

Anything goes - keep it to .177 or.22 caliber and 20 FT/lb energy or less. Shoot a bunch and find what you like.

----That's the less important stuff; here is the MOST important advice-----

1. Do not buy three rifles!

I think it is completely unnecessary for a new shooter to get three silhouette air rifles unless you are good enough to win the aggregate championships at the Coop Shoot and the Shamrock Silhouette Shootout AND you plan to travel to compete in both the Coop Shoot and the Shamrock Silhouette Shootout.

Those are the only two championship matches that have aggregate competition combining all three rifles. The match format trend now is, instead of everyone shooting all three rifles, have everyone shoot one rifle and compete in the class that their rifle falls in. So you bring one rifle - if it meets the Sporter rules you shoot in Sporter, if it meets the Target rules, you shoot in Target; if it only meets Open rules (or the shooter declares it an Open rifle), you shoot in Open. I anticipate in the future even stand-alone matches like the Coop Shoot ad the Shamrock will move to this format. As it stands now, if you only have one rifle you can shoot every match with that rifle at both the Coop Shoot and the Shamrock. The score will not count in the results for the matches that the rifle does not qualify for, but you can still set a national record/get grand slams/move classification/etc.

None of our local shooters bring three rifles to club matches anymore - we usually just bring one rifle and shoot it twice.

2. Do not buy an air rifle because you can shoot it in two classes.

People often get a spring gun because they can shoot it in Sporter and Open; or they get a 10m rifle because they can shoot it in Target and Open. I think you should only do that if you like the spring gun or the 10m gun more than the other rifles out there.

For shooters that don't have a springer or 10m rifle they like the most, I've been suggesting that they buy an Open gun (fast-shooting PCP) for three reasons:

a. Open rifles are more fun to shoot. They shoot harder and therefore require less discipline and skill to shoot a good score. They don't require elaborate cocking. They are REALLY fun to shoot!

b. Open rifles don't have as much wind drift. I shoot my Open rifle almost exclusively at club matches every month. I almost never bring my Target rifle to a club match and I only shoot my Sporter rifle twice a year (at the Coop Shoot and the Shamrock). The reason for this is that I don't want to create bad habits and we don't use spotters at our air rifle club matches. Any time I shoot a silhouette match without a spotter (air rifle, smallbore, anything) I ignore the wind and shoot for the center of the target. I don't look at wind flags when I shoot with a spotter (that's what the spotter is for); I focus exclusively on shooting and hitting the spot the spotter tells me to hit. That should not change when I am shooting without a spotter. Consistency is important and peeking at flags is a bad habit that costs targets. The Open rifle allows me to shoot without a spotter and ignore the wind. Sure the wind causes a few misses now and then but I'm not concerned with the score at club matches. Try doing that with a Target rifle and it will be a disaster if there is any wind. Shooting Target Air Rifle Silhouette is ALL about the spotter and if I don't have one I don't shoot that rifle.

c. There are TONS of cool Open Rifles on the market today. The PCP air rifle technological innovations lately have been AWESOME! There has never been a better time to get into airguns. I've even given up squirrel hunting with a .22LR and switched to a .25 caliber air rifle. Companies like Daystate, FX, Unarex, Air Force, Air Arms, etc. are all making awesome rifles that are great for Open Air Rifle silhouette - not to mention the traditional field target rifle manufacturers like Steyr and the custom rifle builders - there are LOTS out there and they are FUN to shoot.

3. Share equipment.

It's really easy to get two or three PCP shooters together and buy a nice air tank together to save money. Better yet, a club can buy a small compressor for all the shooters to use to fill their rifles at the clubhouse. However it works, sharing equipment (even rifles) is a great way to offset the additional expense of starting air rifle silhouette or getting into PCP air rifles.

4. Start a match.

I often hear, "I'd like to shoot air rifle silhouette but there are no matches around me." It is SUPER easy to start an air rifle silhouette match. The targets are cheap (qualitytargets.com); you don't need much space; you don't need berms; and you don't have to worry about noise. We shot a Wednesday night air rifle match every week for years off someones back porch in a fenced yard in the middle of a neighborhood - the neighbors never had any idea. Air rifle silhouette can also be added to a smallbore match - competitors can shoot an air rifle match on off-relays for smallbore.

There are tons of ways to incorporate air rifle silhouette - if you don't have a match, start one!!!

I'm happy to help or answer any questions about this if I can. Just post them up here - Or we might want to start a new thread so the Coop Shoot announcement thread doesn't get hijacked.

Dustin
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

dustinflint wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 am Any time I shoot a silhouette match without a spotter (air rifle, smallbore, anything) I ignore the wind and shoot for the center of the target. I don't look at wind flags when I shoot with a spotter (that's what the spotter is for); I focus exclusively on shooting and hitting the spot the spotter tells me to hit. That should not change when I am shooting without a spotter. Consistency is important and peeking at flags is a bad habit that costs targets.
Well........that makes a whole lot of sense. I've never thought of it like that. Wow.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

cedestech wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am Love you Allen but your cornbread ain't quite done in the middle....

=))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

For those who need to shoot a air rifle match, we are hosting our last NRA air rifle match of 2019 this Saturday, December 7, 2019 in Rankin County, MS. We are 3 hours east of the coop shoot and 3 hours northeast of Baton Rouge, LA. Start times may be delayed a few hours due to cold temperatures. We shoot the three air rifle divisions in the traditional manner.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

I noticed in the information about the match that chickens are shot at 30yds. I'm hoping that is a mistake. I have heard good things about this match and hope to try it sometime.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

joemo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:35 pm I noticed in the information about the match that chickens are shot at 30yds. I'm hoping that is a mistake. I have heard good things about this match and hope to try it sometime.
Yeah, pretty sure that's a typo. Chickens at 20 yards as usual.

Don't wait, come to the match! You never know when you're going to get hit by the proverbial bus so do it now. :!!
Allen Corneau
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I just called the Jimmie Davis State Park. Currently all cabins are closed. They said they expect to open some of them next month. So who knows for sure when. I’ll call them again about the week of January 13th and will post an update.
However, one could consider to go ahead with reservations now, if they only open some of the cabins, you could hopefully be first in line.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I spoke with the State Park today and they said there will be 4 cabins ready and open starting January 24th. So we've got places. She said they can be booked at any point now.