NRA Silhouette Handbook

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

NRA Silhouette Handbook

Post by curmudgeon »

Hi,

The NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules book (https://competitions.nra.org/media/7825 ... lebook.pdf) references a NRA Silhouette Handbook.

Is anyone aware of a copy online? Or, would anyone be willing to lend (or part with) their copy?

Thanks,
-Steve
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: NRA Silhouette Handbook

Post by acorneau »

From the rulebook...
... the NRA Silhouette Handbook, which is only available from the NRA Silhouette Department.
It seems you have to contact NRA-HQ to ask for a copy.
Allen Corneau
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Good luck. They don't print them anymore. They said they are printing new ones because there have been changes but no date for its release. It was basically on how to set up a range and what type of target material and sizes. Are You looking for specific information? I still have an old one.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Probably a silly question, but WHY do they need to print them?
The Rule-book, although available as a "hard-copy", is available on-line as a pdf.
Come to think of it, updates, changes, corrections, addendum's etc. could be done and made available immediately.
It's not hard, really.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

No1_49er wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:46 pm Probably a silly question, but WHY do they need to print them?
The Rule-book, although available as a "hard-copy", is available on-line as a pdf.
Come to think of it, updates, changes, corrections, addendum's etc. could be done and made available immediately.
It's not hard, really.
He did post a link to the rule book....

He is looking for the handbook that is not online.

It's the first time I'm hearing about a handbook
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I'll try and post it tomorrow. It's not a rule book but a guide for setting up a range. It's out of date due to the changes in the targets. I seriously doubt it will be updated to show the changes. I had a circular conversation with someone at the NRA about it and just gave up.
NRA Endowment Member
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

thauglor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm
No1_49er wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:46 pm Probably a silly question, but WHY do they need to print them?
It's not hard, really.
He did post a link to the rule book....

He is looking for the handbook that is not online.

It's the first time I'm hearing about a handbook
Yes, the Rule-book is available on-line.
I am not disputing that, although even now, the 2019 version has not been updated with respect to 3.1.3 (a), a change that was originally posted on the NRA web-site in 2017!
But why are the publications, in general, NOT available on the web-site as a pdf? It shouldn't be necessary to ask and find somebody with an (old) version in hard-copy to copy and send.
Perhaps our responder can create a pdf of the handbook and post it here, for those who don't have it?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

That's a question for the higher powers. Its not something of huge importance for shooters as its mostly a guide for range creation. I think the guy on the front page is Greg Conners to give you an idea of how old it is.
NRA Endowment Member
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

acorneau wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:47 am It seems you have to contact NRA-HQ to ask for a copy.
Thanks. I don't think NRA has them anymore, and I was concerned that they would not send one to me in Canada.
Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:09 pm Good luck. They don't print them anymore. They said they are printing new ones because there have been changes but no date for its release. It was basically on how to set up a range and what type of target material and sizes. Are You looking for specific information? I still have an old one.
Thanks. I have 2 interests:
  1. rifle certification - I understand there is some sort of sizing box used to certify that a rifle stock is not too big, not to small, and is "just right..."- I'm looking for information about how to construct and use the box; not 'cause I run a major match, but so that I can help local shooters prepare for proper matches if they wish
  2. range construction - I dream of expanding our range to include rails for Pistol Cartridge and Smallbore Lever Action - I want to know how to "do it right" before compromising and making do with what is achievable for now
If anyone is willing to lend me a copy, I'll scan it, return the original, and share the digital copy.

Thanks,
-Steve
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

0207200120.jpg
Steve this is what "The Box" is based on I believe. I have no information on constructing one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

0207200133.jpg
0207200122a.jpg
0207200132.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

Anyone have a photo of the " Box".

Had my rifle in the box a few times but never thought to photograph.
My interest is in building my own version.

Thank you for posting those pages Captain.

Too far off topic? Probably but you know its how I run....
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Captain...? Hey I got promoted! Woohoo! :))
As far as "The Box" the only place I know of that has one is Ridgway. Send Mike aka 44mag a PM about that.
NRA Endowment Member
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

There are two threads going on on this topic, the other referring to the jig.

In the image from the handbook shown above where the max dimension from the center line of the bore to the toe of the butt (I think that is the right term) being 7". Isn't this rule obsolete? Removed? No place in the current 2020 silhouette rule book does it show or say anything about this. At least I can't find it. It really would be good to know what the limit is if there is one.

This seems pretty critical to know to me.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I don't know if this will work but if you call the NRA and make a large donation on the condition that they send you a silhouette handbook maybe that will work?