Silhouette 2020 -The wish list

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Silhouette 2020 -The wish list

Post by Hotrodrockets »

(Please read this with a positive attitude in mind. Also, some of this is just stream of consciousness typing.)

The State of Silhouette 5/26/2020. We are at a point when we as shooters, need to take charge and grow the sport.
I have had hours of conversation over the last few weeks with many knowledgeable people. It has been quite the learning experience. It seems plenty of things may be worse off that I suspected in many ways, there is a great deal of frustraion but I remain optimistic.

Many of these people have been asking for a different or new sanctioning body for silhouette. I have come to the conclusion………

That is the last thing we need.

I Bet you did not see that coming?

The idea is good. The current system is nothing if not frustrating. But re-inventing the wheel is going to sap resources that can be used to grow our sport. Think combine rather than divide.

I know what your thinking “ but the NRA stinks on ice and the NRA can’t get the job done….” Ect. Ect.
They have proven what they can and can not do. Time and time again.

I just fear another sanctioning body will water things down and tie up good folks who’s talents can be use to further Silhouette in other directions. Let the NRA do it’s thing. I will shoot NRA matches. I will shoot other matches… well, really any matches.

They do their thing, we do our thing, sometimes (many times) it will be the same thing.

Enough with the Bitch-en get to the good stuff!

The Silhouette Wish List.

What we need:
A Group of Match directors / Promoters / Range Venues and most importantly Shooters. Dedicated to simple promotion of the sport.
No longer waiting for some other organization to get it done. Because it will not happen.

This group needs to organize it’s own events and series of events. These can and should include events sanctioned by any of the sanctioning organizations.
No need to be one organization- centric.

As well as any event that follows the accepted rules but does not have a sanction by any specific organization. (my personal belief that this is the future of the sport)

A perfect example is the Monarch Cup. Different organizations. Different matches and countries. One total prize aggregate plus getting sponsors onboard for prizes in many skill levels at each individual event.

We need to build on that Idea and the work already done establishing that precedent. (note I have nothing to do with Monarch Cup it is just a great concept)

-Groups of venues need to get together to promote event series and hold regional matches. I know the word “Regional” has a specific meaning in one organization I use it in a more general manner.

-Independent Score and statistics management. With ways to cross reference classifications. Nothing behind a “pay wall”. That makes life difficult for match directors to access.

Scores and statistics should be kept across different organizations. With transparency.

Transparency that is a key word folks. I’m going to use it a lot in the future.

-New match categories.
Example: SB Semi Auto Non Magnified Sights. Why in the year 2020 in the U.S. we don’t have a class that accepts smallbore MSR style rifles. Is just not thinking.
Also an OPEN class for Samllbore similar to Open Air Rifle.
Create MORE shooters not restrict competition.

The group needs to work together to attract sponsors. Seeing the dollars spent in sponsorship of PRS NRL22 and 3Gun even at local match events….. We are certainly doing something wrong.

A big part of that needs to be media awareness. Getting the word out to any potential new Silhouette shooters that the sport exists and how and where in their area they can compete.
This is vital. Just finding a match can be difficult.

Then, developing new talent. Each range should set a goal to bring in a few new shooters to the sport each year.
Yes the sport is difficult. That’s the main selling point. It is NOT easy. You need to be several notches above the average shooter just to get started.
This does appeal to people… trust me.

Bla Bla Bla…. What are YOU going to do about it?

O.K. Let’s start with a group of Silhouette clubs and shooters. I already have a good list going. But I need input from other people not just me.
Dang, if you leave it up to just me think of how out of control that would be?

1. List of Clubs, Shooters, and anyone interested in promoting our sport. This can include interested sponsors. We need to use all the tools we have gotten used to lately…. Telepresence conferencing and such. No need to travel to meetings. This can go quickly.
You need to contact me. I will get things rolling immediately.
Hotrodrocketshop @gmail.com

2. Score keeping and Transparency. Working on that with the score keeping apps that are testing now.
Score data will be open source and searchable so there is no mystery as to a shooters Classification.
Hopefully making life for match directors quicker and easier.

So I have the ball rolling now right? Your thinking Right?

Thank you for your time.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Silhouette 2020 -The wish list

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmm, well written with much to ponder.